    I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811. I am
    wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
    needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's. Thanks
    mmark751969, Apr 22, 2009

  2. mmark751969

    bod43 Guest

    On 22 Apr, 20:42, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    > I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811.  I am
    > wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
    > needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's.  Thanks

    The easy answer is to try it out yourself.

    I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
    and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.
    :)
    bod43, Apr 23, 2009

  3. mmark751969

    mmark751969 Guest

    On Apr 22, 6:33 pm, bod43 <> wrote:
    > On 22 Apr, 20:42, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811.  I am
    > > wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
    > > needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's.  Thanks

    > The easy answer is to try it out yourself.
    >
    > I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
    > and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.
    > :)

    Yea - i don't want to down vpn's to test it though. I'm getting
    encryt/decrypt failures logged. Is that a good indicator that up/down
    status would be logged. thanks
    mmark751969, Apr 23, 2009
  4. mmark751969

    mmark751969 Guest

    On Apr 23, 9:08 am, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 6:33 pm, bod43 <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 22 Apr, 20:42,mmark751969<> wrote:

    > > > I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811.  I am
    > > > wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
    > > > needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's.  Thanks

    > > The easy answer is to try it out yourself.

    > > I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
    > > and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.
    > > :)

    > Yea - i don't want to down vpn's to test it though.  I'm getting
    > encryt/decrypt failures logged.  Is that a good indicator that up/down
    > status would be logged.  thanks

    It doesn't seem that informational is good enough to log this. I just
    had one go down and it didn't register in syslog.
    mmark751969, Apr 26, 2009
  5. mmark751969

    bod43 Guest

    On 26 Apr, 19:32, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 9:08 am, mmark751969 <> wrote:

    > > > The easy answer is to try it out yourself.

    > > > I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
    > > > and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.
    > > > :)

    > > Yea - i don't want to down vpn's to test it though.  I'm getting
    > > encryt/decrypt failures logged.  Is that a good indicator that up/down
    > > status would be logged.  thanks

    > It doesn't seem that informational is good enough to log this.  I just
    > had one go down and it didn't register in syslog.

    I was minding my own business the other day, out 'n' about,
    when I thought of this thread for some reason. Thought was
    that I couldn't recall seeing SA messages in log unless
    deb cry ips sa or similar was enabled. We always set log
    level to debugging and had a nice big file.

    You do know the log level is in each log message?

    e.g. from google

    %CRYPTO-5-SESSION_STATUS

    log level is "5".

    My feeling is that memory is fauty, but I thought I would
    write anyway:-(
    bod43, Apr 26, 2009