    internet: the remedies there apply to people who can't search any secure
    site, or involve changing settings that haven't been changed since they were
    working in NZ. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. JJ the P

    JJ the parrot, Jun 10, 2007

  2. JJ the parrot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:39:58 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > exclaimed:

    >I have been doing banking over dialup without any problem. Now, with the
    >laptop overseas, I am using a WiFi connection and can't log in to my bank's
    >secure site. I can log in to other secure sites from here, and I've changed
    >no settings (that I'm aware of) since coming overseas. I've searched the
    >internet: the remedies there apply to people who can't search any secure
    >site, or involve changing settings that haven't been changed since they were
    >working in NZ. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. JJ the P

    What happens when you try to log in? Do you get an error? What bank?

    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2007

  3. JJ the parrot

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <466c717b$0$16402$>, "JJ the
    parrot" <Nopethiswon't > says...
    > I have been doing banking over dialup without any problem. Now, with the
    > laptop overseas, I am using a WiFi connection and can't log in to my bank's
    > secure site. I can log in to other secure sites from here, and I've changed
    > no settings (that I'm aware of) since coming overseas. I've searched the
    > internet: the remedies there apply to people who can't search any secure
    > site, or involve changing settings that haven't been changed since they were
    > working in NZ. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. JJ the P

    Change Hotel? :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 11, 2007
  4. JJ the parrot wrote:
    > I have been doing banking over dialup without any problem. Now, with the
    > laptop overseas, I am using a WiFi connection and can't log in to my bank's
    > secure site. I can log in to other secure sites from here, and I've changed
    > no settings (that I'm aware of) since coming overseas. I've searched the
    > internet: the remedies there apply to people who can't search any secure
    > site, or involve changing settings that haven't been changed since they were
    > working in NZ. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. JJ the P

    Be careful that you are not trying to connect to your bank through a spoofing
    password capturing wifi access point or any other untrusted network.

    Mark Robinson, Jun 11, 2007
  5. The login popup screen goes completely blank, says it's opening, but it
    never does. But other secure sites, like BNZ where I have an account, work
    well. This bank is based offshore, but I can log in to it from NZ and an
    internet cafe not far from here.

    JJ the parrot, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Thanks. It is a 'security-enabled' network , and I need a password to log in
    to it.

    JJ the parrot, Jun 11, 2007
  7. JJ the parrot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:42:56 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > exclaimed:

    >The login popup screen goes completely blank, says it's opening, but it
    >never does. But other secure sites, like BNZ where I have an account, work
    >well. This bank is based offshore, but I can log in to it from NZ and an
    >internet cafe not far from here.

    Which bank is it?

    Can you do the following:

    Go to start --> Run

    at the prompt, type: cmd <enter>

    A black window should open up.

    At the prompt, type: nslookup <banksite> <enter>

    <banksite> should be the URL of your bank,
    eg: "nslookup www.asb.co.nz" for ASB Bank.

    What is the IP Address? This should be a series of numbers. For
    instance, with ASB Bank you will get:

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.asbbank.co.nz
    Address: 210.55.180.35
    Aliases: www.asb.co.nz

    The address you're looking for is the 210.55.180.35 number in this
    example.

    It's really important that you check this, as a virus could have
    hijacked your HOSTS file forwarding you to a Phishing site.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2007
  8. JJ the parrot

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't > wrote in

    > Thanks. It is a 'security-enabled' network , and I need a password to
    > log in to it.
    >
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message > Be
    > careful that you are not trying to connect to your bank through a
    > spoofing
    >> password capturing wifi access point or any other untrusted network.

    What you replied means nothing...
    Do you trust the links between where you are and the bank is the question.
    Any one of those could be suspect, but the one to trust least is the one
    issuing the IP of the gateway.

    DO NOT accept any certificate "changes" or updates, etc...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 11, 2007
  9. Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Will be careful. JJ

    "Dave Taylor" wrote

    JJ the parrot, Jun 11, 2007
  10. Many thanks Fred: the bank is Abbey International. When I do as you indicate
    I get this:
    BEGINS
    C:\Documents and Settings\JJtheParrot'scomputer>nslookup
    www.abbeyinternational.com
    xxx
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.abbeyinternational.com
    Address: 195.10.118.130
    ENDS

    No aliases listed. I'm not sure what to do next. How do I check this
    address, or maybe I don't need to?
    Regards

    C:\Documents and Settings\Ronnie.MICROSTAR>

    "Fred Dagg" wrote >

    JJ the parrot, Jun 11, 2007
  11. JJ the parrot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:55:32 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > exclaimed:

    >Many thanks Fred: the bank is Abbey International. When I do as you indicate
    >I get this:
    >BEGINS
    >C:\Documents and Settings\JJtheParrot'scomputer>nslookup
    >www.abbeyinternational.com
    >xxx
    >Non-authoritative answer:
    >Name: www.abbeyinternational.com
    >Address: 195.10.118.130
    >ENDS
    >
    >No aliases listed. I'm not sure what to do next. How do I check this
    >address, or maybe I don't need to?

    Yup, that is correct. It wasn't hugely likely that this was the
    problem, however was probably the most serious possibility, and hence
    needed to be eliminated first.

    Next is to try another browser to see if it is a problem with your
    browser or something else (eg your ISP being blocked for some reason).

    Pop on over to www.opera.com/download/ and download and install Opera,
    then try to visit the bank in Opera. Let me know if this works.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 12, 2007
  12. Thanks again. I downloaded Opera, and exactly the same thing happens. I can
    open the non-secure homepage of the bank, but not the Login page to my
    account. I tried it with and without proxies enabled. Same result. Regards

    "Fred Dagg"

    JJ the parrot, Jun 12, 2007
  13. JJ the parrot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:58:07 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > exclaimed:

    >Thanks again. I downloaded Opera, and exactly the same thing happens. I can
    >open the non-secure homepage of the bank, but not the Login page to my
    >account. I tried it with and without proxies enabled. Same result. Regards

    That's very interesting. It's possible they are blocking your ISP,
    then. This can happen when a number of frauds or attempted frauds is
    detected on an IP range - they'll come in and block it.

    What ISP are you with? Hopefully others here on the same ISP can test.

    The other thing to do is to visit https://195.10.118.130/apphome.asp
    and let me know what happens. NOTE you will receive a "certificate
    error" when you visit it (because you are reaching it via IP address
    rather than domain name). Just click "continue" or "continue to this
    website" when you get the error.

    Does anything come up?

    Also, can you access https://www.bnz.co.nz/ ? (Note the "https" at
    the start).

    Fred Dagg, Jun 13, 2007
  14. I can access https://www.bnz.co.nz and from there can access my account
    details. But when I try the other website (https://195etc) I get the same
    response as when I try to log in normally: just a blank screen, then
    eventually the usual Microsoft error message. I can't work out what ISP I'm
    with. I'm in temporary accommodation and the WiFi connection is provided
    free of charge. When I 'View Network Connections' there is no mention of an
    ISP; just the label 'Base'. Regards

    "Fred Dagg" wrote

    JJ the parrot, Jun 13, 2007
  15. JJ the parrot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:56:09 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > exclaimed:

    >I can access https://www.bnz.co.nz and from there can access my account
    >details. But when I try the other website (https://195etc) I get the same
    >response as when I try to log in normally: just a blank screen, then
    >eventually the usual Microsoft error message. I can't work out what ISP I'm
    >with. I'm in temporary accommodation and the WiFi connection is provided
    >free of charge. When I 'View Network Connections' there is no mention of an
    >ISP; just the label 'Base'. Regards

    So did you get a Certificate Error when you visited the IP address, or
    did you just get the blank screen?

    Also, if you go to www.whatismyip.com, what is the IP address it tells
    you?

    Fred Dagg, Jun 13, 2007
  16. No Certificate Error; just the blank screen. My IP from the link you give is
    195.137.30.3. Regards, JJ

    "Fred Dagg" wrote

    JJ the parrot, Jun 13, 2007
  17. JJ the parrot

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:24:44 +0100, "JJ the parrot" <Nopethiswon't
    > exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" wrote
    >>
    >> So did you get a Certificate Error when you visited the IP address, or
    >> did you just get the blank screen?
    >>
    >> Also, if you go to www.whatismyip.com, what is the IP address it tells
    >> you?

    >No Certificate Error; just the blank screen. My IP from the link you give is
    >195.137.30.3. Regards, JJ

    That's weird. Are you in the UK? Apparently that block belongs to
    Freedom2Surf, a UK ISP. This makes it a little harder for others here
    to test!

    I'm thinking that, since DNS is fine, the same thing occurs on
    multiple browsers, and other SSL sites are fine they must be blocking
    your IP address. Banks sometimes do this if they are hit with frauds
    coming from a specific IP address or range.

    Best bet is to email them and explain the problem, specifically
    saying:

    - The same problem occurs on multiple browsers
    - You can access other Secure (SSL) sites without problem
    - DNS is fine, and the same result is obtained by going to the IP
    address directly.

    There's unfortunately not much else that can be done from this end,
    but the things we've done have eliminated most of the common problems
    from consideration.

    Good luck, and post back a progress report!

    Fred Dagg, Jun 14, 2007
  18. Yes, I am in the UK for a while. Thanks for your time and diagnosis. I will
    try emailing them, but they haven't yet replied to the email I sent a week
    ago. However, this time I will give them the additional information. Regards
    JJ

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote

    JJ the parrot, Jun 14, 2007
  19. JJ the parrot

    Shane Guest

    JJ the parrot wrote:

    > I have been doing banking over dialup without any problem. Now, with the
    > laptop overseas, I am using a WiFi connection and can't log in to my
    > bank's secure site. I can log in to other secure sites from here, and I've
    > changed no settings (that I'm aware of) since coming overseas. I've
    > searched the internet: the remedies there apply to people who can't search
    > any secure site, or involve changing settings that haven't been changed
    > since they were working in NZ. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. JJ the

    For the sake of curiousity could you try to
    a) Ping the banks ip
    and
    b) Run a traceroute to the same ip.

    --
    Q: Why do you never hear the number 288 on television?
    A: It's two gross.

    Shane, Jun 15, 2007
  20. Thanks Shane - I think I know what 'ip' is, but not sure how to ping, or run
    a traceroute, or even what they would tell me, or what I should be looking
    for??

    JJ the parrot, Jun 15, 2007