    devices, not to send the messages, as SNMP-Traps, to the NMS.

    Regards,
    Christian

    Christian Roos, Feb 5, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Christian Roos <> wrote:
    >could anybody explain the differences between logging buffered and
    >logging history? I need the commands only to store the syslogs at my
    >devices, not to send the messages, as SNMP-Traps, to the NMS.

    You did not mention the platform involved. I will answer for the PIX
    and hope that it's workable on whatever you are using.

    logging buffered logs messages into a small wrap-around in-memory
    buffer. The messages so logged may be displayed with "show log".

    logging history does have to do with logging messages: logging history
    has to do with recording command entries so that they can be recalled
    and editted and resubmitted.

    logging trap does not send SNMP-traps on a PIX: logging trap controls
    what is sent as normal syslog messages to the hosts designated by
    the logging host commands. On the PIX, the destination port and protocol
    is configurable, and if a TCP protocol is chosen then the PIX will
    start refusing traffic if it is not able to get TCP ACK messages for
    the logs [this is for the security theory that traffic that cannot
    be logged should be refused, to prevent attackers from flooding the
    logs with forged messages and then, logs full, undertake the real
    attack unlogged.]

    PIX 6.x sends very few SNMP traps, and it only sends them to
    snmp-server hosts which either have the "trap" option set, or have
    no "trap" and no "poll" option (in other words, you cannot set
    both options on the same command line, and if you want a host to be
    able to poll and to have snmp traps sent to it, then leave off the option.)

    Walter Roberson, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Christian Roos

    Merv Guest

    logging buffer creates an internal logging buffer where you can see
    recent messages using the command show log

    logging history changes the default level of syslog messages stored in
    the history file and sent to the SNMP serv

    to log messages to a syslogging server, use the command
    logging <syslog server IP address>

    Merv, Feb 5, 2006
  4. But both commands stores the syslog-messages to a storage on a
    IOS-Device (Most of my devices are switches). If I don't want to send
    the syslogs as SNMP-Traps, I can switch off the history-logging?
    Because the devices would store the same message twice. That will cost
    memory only, but nothing else, right?

    Christian Roos, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Christian Roos

    Merv Guest

    >If I don't want to send the syslogs as SNMP-Traps, I can switch off the history-logging?

    logging history size 0

    > Because the devices would store the same message twice. That will cost
    > memory only, but nothing else, right?

    So what I think you would want to configure would be something like:

    logging history size 0
    logging buffer 10000 debug
    logging 192.168.1.250

    It is very handy to have the local debug syslogging especially when
    debugging a problem

    Merv, Feb 5, 2006