    I want to connect via a Router rather than via a PC.

    Help? Any thougts solutions?

    Chris
    Chris, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Chris

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:37:09 +1000, Chris wrote:

    >I've a small Home network of 3 PC's with Windows XP. The PC's share the
    >internet via a modem on one PC.
    >I want to move to a broadband connection (DSL / ADSL) but want to be able to
    >logg the traffic for each PC.

    Do you have a choice of DSL modem/router some are combined units, or is
    it just what your ISP gives you?

    >by this I mean
    >I need to know how much each PC individually uploads & downloads over the
    >internet.

    So it's simply the amount of data and not any URLs etc.

    >Broadband is expensive here and need to be able to trace the traffice should
    >one PC over use. i.e charge my son or daughter if they overdo it.

    How does that relate to your ISP limits? Do you have a monthly cap that
    if you go over you are charged for?

    For mine you buy a 512Kbps/1Mbps/2Mbps service and there is at present
    no cap, so say a set of 4-6 (x650MB) RedHat Linux CDs in a day poses no
    problems. The limit here is the 1Mbps connection will max out for
    several hours.

    >I want to connect via a Router rather than via a PC.

    1.
    Some of the newer SOHO routers , check for URLs and will send email to
    an admin account based on keywords.
    Netgear Model RP614
    http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=131&view=hm

    Also other brands are Belkin, Cisco SOHO range, D-Link, and Linksys to
    name a few.

    2.
    The other choice is a more expensive managed router / switch that has
    SNMP built in, this means you don't need to install the (easy to do and
    simple) SNMP driver on any PC. The 1 PC with MRTG/Perl can read the
    traffic data from the router directly. However managed routers /
    switches cost more than unmanaged versions.

    For example Netgear FS516 , 16 ports unmanaged is GBP £90 and a 12 port
    managed GSM712 is GBP £991.

    So installing the SNMP service on each PC is a bit cheaper.

    MRTG/Perl will also log bandwidth usage, but you need to install the
    SNMP service on each PC and MRTG/Perl on one.

    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/index-2.html
    examples
    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/users.html
    and Purdue University,
    http://www.noc.purdue.edu/mrtg.html

    3.
    You can get some software like, Bandwidth Monitor for each PC,
    http://www.idyle.com/ records in/out/total and will chart/export
    daily/week and year figures.

    >Help? Any thougts solutions?

    Try searching 24HSHD for other answers,
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=24hoursupport.helpdesk

    4.
    From a previous post of mine, this little box lets you set limits on
    bandwidth usage.
    ===paste===
    Also a hardware device, GBP £1200 unit from www.blackbox.co.uk that
    has BW management for 10Mbps Ethernet.

    datasheet 10164 for
    IP Mux II , product code LE1025C

    datasheet code 24435 for
    Bandwidth Manager, don't have the part code, try the datasheet.
    ===end paste===

    Me
    why?, Sep 27, 2003