    wrong, or CompTIA might just want a specific approach that I need to mimick.

    Thanks for any help :)

    Bloke

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 11, 2004

  2. "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Don't be confused - just stick to CompTIA compliant until you get

    certified.
    > Then experience will teach you more about how to proceed in the real

    world.

    > There are no rules about when and how to identify, or rule out, a virus
    > infection. In the field, you'll be familiar with current viruses and
    > symptoms and upon receipt of a system infection may be the first suspect

    and
    > may not. On a bootable system you certainly would at least verify there

    was
    > an AV installed and verify the definitions and last scan.
    > In the real world you just can't make a generic rule that puts virus scan
    > at a given step in the process.
    >
    > Additionally a power supply is a simple check, but for "randomly

    rebooting"
    > there's likely to be no quick test other than replacing and waiting.

    Ah, I see. Funnily enough the more I read about A+ the more I feel like Im
    learning which questions to ask, rather than what the answers are :) Of
    course, diagnosis is a skill that Joe Public doesn't have either, so I
    suppose that's to be expected.

    > Personally I have never seen a randomly rebooting system that was due to
    > faulty power supply.

    > (PS - virii is not word)

    Oh, indeed not, I looked it up last night. Don't know where I got the idea
    from honestly, but viruses sure sounds funny. :p

    Thanks for your help

    Bloke

    > "Bloke_in_a_box" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm a bit confused over the proper (well, CompTIA compliant) procedure

    for
    > > isolating the cause of a rebooting or locking system.
    > >
    > > I understand that recent hardware or software installations are the

    first
    > > port of call IF you have just installed them. Assuming you haven't just
    > > installed anything, and the system starts rebooting randomly, the All in

    > One
    > > book says that this is either a virus or bad hardware. My confusion is,

    > the
    > > author says the first thing to check is the PSU. Is my common sense
    > > misleading me in thinking that running a virus checker would be sensible
    > > before you start getting into the many different possibilities of

    hardware
    > > malfunction that could cause this behaviour?
    > >
    > > The paragraph doesn't state at which point in diagnosis you should run a
    > > virus check, just that virii are a possible cause.
    > >
    > > I know that I think the virus check first makes more sense, but I might

    be
    > > wrong, or CompTIA might just want a specific approach that I need to

    > mimick.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help :)
    > >
    > > Bloke

    ---

    Bloke_in_a_box, May 12, 2004

  3. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure that there is a standard way to approach this problem
    > (intermittent random crashes, rebooting and lockups). The problem is so
    > generic that anything can cause it:
    >
    > -Hardware
    > -Software (which includes virus', bad DLLs, corrupted files, etc.)
    >
    > Running MEMTEST or a similar diagnostic is one of the things that I do
    > first. Running Chkdsk and a virus scan is one thing that I do.
    > Checking the power supply voltages is one thing that I do.
    >
    > Then you check BIOS settings and drivers, especially motherboard and
    > video drivers.
    >
    > But it's not unusual to do all of the tests that you can, find nothing
    > definitively wrong, and yet the problem persists.
    >
    > At this point, you are left with only being able to address the problem
    > by substitution: try a different {motherboard, cpu, power supply, ram,
    > video card, hard drive, etc.}. Or, try a new, fresh, clean install of
    > the OS (which is, in a sense, substitution of the "software").
    >
    > The sad fact is that if someone is paying $50 per hour to have the
    > system worked on, this can be a problem that, quite often, no one can
    > justify fixing.

    That does sound like a problem situation yeah. I can't imagine any customer
    being too pleased at the time it takes to isolate the cause of something
    like that. Of course, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you worked all night
    on it if you only charged them for one hour eh :p

    It's the sort of situation I dread when (if?) I finally set up shop.

    > Bloke_in_a_box wrote:
    >
    > > I'm a bit confused over the proper (well, CompTIA compliant) procedure

    for
    > > isolating the cause of a rebooting or locking system.
    > >
    > > I understand that recent hardware or software installations are the

    first
    > > port of call IF you have just installed them. Assuming you haven't just
    > > installed anything, and the system starts rebooting randomly, the All in

    One
    > > book says that this is either a virus or bad hardware. My confusion is,

    the
    > > author says the first thing to check is the PSU. Is my common sense
    > > misleading me in thinking that running a virus checker would be sensible
    > > before you start getting into the many different possibilities of

    hardware
    > > malfunction that could cause this behaviour?
    > >
    > > The paragraph doesn't state at which point in diagnosis you should run a
    > > virus check, just that virii are a possible cause.
    > >
    > > I know that I think the virus check first makes more sense, but I might

    be
    > > wrong, or CompTIA might just want a specific approach that I need to

    mimick.

    > > Thanks for any help :)
    > >
    > > Bloke

    ---