    I would welcome your expert opinion on what to do now.

    Regards,
    Jack

    Marshal, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Marshal

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:21:33 -0500, "Marshal"
    <> wrote:

    >Jack mumbled:
    >
    >Your expert comments invited:
    >
    >Running XP; I've been locked out from the registry editor (possibly by a
    >trojan?).
    >When I run AdAware it detects this, and also, 'shell possibly compromised'.
    >I can't operate Norton System Works any more, so I can't use my own
    >anti-virus.
    >
    >I do have a P-2 here with internet, so I can download.
    >
    >I would welcome your expert opinion on what to do now.
    >
    >Regards,
    > Jack

    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 47 known viruses and trojans (including the new
    W32/Sasser.worm.e) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed
    on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    Direct download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    NOTE: Run the above Stinger from the Safe Mode for best results.

    Free online virus scanners
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://security.norton.com/default.asp?langid=us&venid=sym
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/onlineviruscheck.html
    http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with anti-virus software on
    it, and put that HDD in it as a slave, and run the anti-virus software to clean
    it up.

    Unk, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Marshal

    Marshal Guest

    Jack mumbles a barely-heard reply:

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I will try various scans by downloading via P-2 & moving them to my P-4.
    The P-4 IE exits when I try to go to Symantec or McAfee. This is a clever
    trojan, I think.

    I couldn't get Stinger to run in regular XP mode, however I'll try it in
    safe mode.

    Did you see 'Men in Black'? ("We've got a bug!")

    Thanks again,
    - Jack.

    Marshal, Nov 9, 2004