Locking onto single wireless LAN

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Wodger, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Wodger

    Wodger Guest

    I've set up a wireless connection in my parents house between the PC and the
    ADSL router, as the phone line is 20 metres away from where the PC is and my
    parents (who are fairly old) don't want the hassle of installing extra phone
    sockets, etc. The connection is all secured and I've got Windows Firewall
    and ZoneAlarm on the PC to stop unauthorised access. Everything is working
    dandy, except, there is a neighbour somewhere around where my parents live
    who have an unsecured wireless LAN which my parents PC sometimes tries to
    connect to, but fails because the single is too weak. However, whilst it's
    doing this, my parents can't browse the internet, etc.

    What I'd like to do is be able to have my parents PC only be able to connect
    to their wireless LAN router and ignore any other wireless LANs that may be
    around (there are actually three others around where they live but the other
    two are secure and their PC never tries to connect to them, even though they
    are stronger signals then the unsecured one it tries to connect to).

    What can I do?

    The ADSL router is a Thomson SpeedTouch 580 and the PC has a Thomson ST121
    USB Adapter. The manual isn't particulalry helpful.

    Wodger, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Wodger

    Lem Guest

    Wodger wrote:

    > I've set up a wireless connection in my parents house between the PC and the
    > ADSL router, as the phone line is 20 metres away from where the PC is and my
    > parents (who are fairly old) don't want the hassle of installing extra phone
    > sockets, etc. The connection is all secured and I've got Windows Firewall
    > and ZoneAlarm on the PC to stop unauthorised access. Everything is working
    > dandy, except, there is a neighbour somewhere around where my parents live
    > who have an unsecured wireless LAN which my parents PC sometimes tries to
    > connect to, but fails because the single is too weak. However, whilst it's
    > doing this, my parents can't browse the internet, etc.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is be able to have my parents PC only be able to connect
    > to their wireless LAN router and ignore any other wireless LANs that may be
    > around (there are actually three others around where they live but the other
    > two are secure and their PC never tries to connect to them, even though they
    > are stronger signals then the unsecured one it tries to connect to).
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > The ADSL router is a Thomson SpeedTouch 580 and the PC has a Thomson ST121
    > USB Adapter. The manual isn't particulalry helpful.

    You've left out some important information. The following is based on 2
    assumptions:

    1. Your parents' PC is running Windows XP service pack 2
    2. The ST121 supports Windows Wireless Autoconfiguration

    Go to Network Connections, right click on the wireless connection icon, choose
    Properties, click the Properties button, and select the Wireless Networks tab.
    You should now be looking at something like the following:
    http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4

    Make sure there is a check in the box next to "Use Windows to configure my
    wireless settings"
    In the box under the heading "Preferred networks" highlight each of the entries
    OTHER than your parents' router (I assume you've changed the default SSID to
    something recognizable) and click the "Remove" button. When you're finished,
    only your parents' network should be listed as a "preferred network."

    If your parents' network isn't listed as a "preferred network," click the "Add"
    button

    Click the "Advanced" button (not the "Advanced" tab at the top). Make sure that
    the box next to "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" is cleared.

    OK your way out and you should be done. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx for more
    detail.

    Lem, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Wodger

    Pavel A. Guest

    If your folks have Centrino wireless adapter, it is possible to control it
    with Proset utility and not by WZC. The feature is caled "mandatory AP".
    Another option is dump wi-fi and use powerline adapters instead - no hassle at all.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 13, 2006
  4. Wodger

    Wodger Guest

    > You've left out some important information. The following is based on 2
    > assumptions:
    >
    > 1. Your parents' PC is running Windows XP service pack 2
    > 2. The ST121 supports Windows Wireless Autoconfiguration
    >
    > Go to Network Connections, right click on the wireless connection icon,
    > choose
    > Properties, click the Properties button, and select the Wireless Networks
    > tab.
    > You should now be looking at something like the following:
    > http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4
    >
    > Make sure there is a check in the box next to "Use Windows to configure my
    > wireless settings"
    > In the box under the heading "Preferred networks" highlight each of the
    > entries
    > OTHER than your parents' router (I assume you've changed the default SSID
    > something recognizable) and click the "Remove" button. When you're
    > finished,
    > only your parents' network should be listed as a "preferred network."
    >
    > If your parents' network isn't listed as a "preferred network," click the
    > "Add"
    > button
    >
    > Click the "Advanced" button (not the "Advanced" tab at the top). Make
    > sure that
    > the box next to "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" is
    > cleared.
    >
    > OK your way out and you should be done. See
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx
    > for more
    > detail.

    Ta very much - I will have a go tomorrow. And yes - they're running SP2 on
    WinXP. Isn't (shouldn't) everyone???

    Wodger, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Wodger

    Voipcontact Guest

    I would try and go with the powerline networking option. All depends
    on your environment. With the new 85 mbps and 200 mbps powerline
    products it should be a good match for wifi.

    Site with a bit more info on powerline.
    http://www.powerlinenetworking.co.uk

    Voipcontact, Apr 17, 2006