Locking down a CD-ROM Drive - How?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adam Steiner, May 12, 2004.

  1. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Hey,

    The student government is putting a computer (stand-alone, not networked) in
    a public setting. On the computer they're putting one of these expensive
    library programs (~$500) with old textbooks for people to search through.

    Apparently the CD which the program comes on is write-protected, efforts to
    try and duplicate the CD have not been successful (using Nero and Easy CD
    Creator). Although I haven't tried it, I am assuming that mounting it via
    Daemon Tools wouldn't work either.

    So, does anyone know of a way to lock down a CD/DVD drive so that it can't
    be opened via Windows? One thing I thought of is installing the drive but
    not pushing it in fully. If I use the Antec case with the removable drive
    bay covers, I could snap that over it and no one would see it.
    Alternatively, I could use a case with a lock on the front so no one could
    access the drive, but I don't know of any of these cases.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be done?

    Thanks,

    Adam

    Adam Steiner, May 12, 2004

  2. Adam Steiner

    Thor Guest

    You should be able to find administrative security programs that can lock
    out the CD drive, but if you don't want to go that route, how about getting
    an external USB 2.0 CD drive, use USB-to-CAT5 extender (Iogear makes one,
    and you can extend the range of a USB device to 300 feet using CAT5 ethernet
    cable), and keep the CD drive itself locked well away in a security cabinet.
    Some kind of allowance for the data and power cables to exit would be
    required, but it could be easily done.

    Thor, May 12, 2004

  3. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    I didn't think about the second option at all, I do remember reading about
    the extenders, but I'll do some more research on them. The issue with the
    administrative programs is that I haven't been able to find one that will
    disallow control before Windows starts. Someone can pull the plug, plug it
    back in and before the program kicks in, open the drive.

    Thanks for the info on the extenders.

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, May 12, 2004