    on, it was from a Microsoft update or patch of somekind.

    Could someone tell me how I can do the same on my WinXP x64? What patch or
    switch do I need to look into?
    Mike J.S., Sep 7, 2007

  2. Mike J.S. wrote:
    > A friend of mine has WinXP and is able to "lock" his computer
    > without logging off. In fact, the welcome screen that asks you for
    > your user password is different on his machine (it's a small square
    > at the center of the screen, instead of the full page we get by
    > default). I have the same thing on my computer at work, which is
    > also WinXP.
    > He said he once had it like I do, but then installed Autopatcher
    > and it produced this change. Whatever it is that Autopatcher
    > installed or turned on, it was from a Microsoft update or patch of
    > somekind.
    > Could someone tell me how I can do the same on my WinXP x64? What
    > patch or switch do I need to look into?

    Classic Logon and Screensaver Password.

    Google for those things - with "Windows XP" in the search phrase as well.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Sep 7, 2007

  3. Mike J.S.

    Mike J.S. Guest

    Woohoo! That did it. Thanks. ;-)

    Mike J.S., Sep 7, 2007
  4. Mike J.S.

    Mike J.S. Guest

    Incidentally, it would be nice if we could lock our computers without
    logging off WITHOUT having to resort to returning to the classic logon.

    Anyone know if Vista allows this?
    Mike J.S., Sep 7, 2007
  5. Mike J.S.

    John Barnes Guest

    Vista has a lock this computer icon on the start key.

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2007
  6. Mike J.S.

    Nightowl Guest

    Mike J.S. <> wrote on Fri, 7 Sep 2007:

    >Incidentally, it would be nice if we could lock our computers without
    >logging off WITHOUT having to resort to returning to the classic logon.

    We can. Just press the Windows key +L. There's no need to change to
    classic logon from the welcome screen unless you want to.

    --
    Nightowl
    Nightowl, Sep 8, 2007

    Mike J.S. wrote:
    > Incidentally, it would be nice if we could lock our computers
    > without logging off WITHOUT having to resort to returning to the
    > classic logon.

    You can...
    You had mentioned the username/password entry screen originally...

    To lock Windows - if you have a Windows Keyboard, "Windows Logo Key + L"...

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Sep 8, 2007
  8. > To lock Windows - if you have a Windows Keyboard, "Windows Logo Key +
    > L"...

    Which is just about any keyboard.

    Except for IBM laptops. They still haven't seen the light, but to be fair,
    I'm giving them time to adapt. It's only been 10-12 years.
    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 14, 2007