Locked Telecom modems...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Jan 2, 2010.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Telecom supply these modems...

    http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download

    A 2Wire 1701 modem - 4 port wireless.

    The username cannot be changd to anything other than:
    *@xtrabb.co.nz
    or
    *@xtra.co.nz

    Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
    rid of the Telecom firmware).

    Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
    rubbish bin.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 2, 2010

  2. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    On 2/01/2010 1:58 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

    > Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
    > rid of the Telecom firmware).

    Apparently the same firmware image covers /most/ of their newer models
    (should have a .2sp file extension).

    http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/how-unlock-bell-2wire-modems-642005/

    EMB, Jan 2, 2010

  3. Dave Doe

    Richard Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > Telecom supply these modems...
    >
    > http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download
    >
    > A 2Wire 1701 modem - 4 port wireless.
    >
    > The username cannot be changd to anything other than:
    > *@xtrabb.co.nz
    > or
    > *@xtra.co.nz
    >
    > Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
    > rid of the Telecom firmware).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
    > rubbish bin.

    Are you allowed to unlock it and use it with another ISP? I am not
    familiar with the contract that they are supplied under, but I know for
    example that the orcon homehub remains orcons property, not the users.

    Richard, Jan 2, 2010
  4. Dave Doe

    Squiggle Guest

    Dave Doe threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Telecom supply these modems...
    >
    > http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download
    >
    > A 2Wire 1701 modem - 4 port wireless.
    >
    > The username cannot be changd to anything other than:
    > *@xtrabb.co.nz
    > or
    > *@xtra.co.nz
    >
    > Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
    > rid of the Telecom firmware).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
    > rubbish bin.

    Try seeing if it has an open telnet port, most adsl routers i've used have
    had a telnet port where you can get into the heart of the damn things.

    Having read the 2wire web page it look like you might be out of luck,
    their business model seems to scream "user lock-in"

    Try accessing http://192.168.1.254/mdc ,apparently this is the secret
    management screen :)

    Squiggle, Jan 2, 2010
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hhm802$d1r$>, says...

    > On 2/01/2010 1:58 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > Additionally, I can't find any way to upload new firmware to it (and get
    > > rid of the Telecom firmware).
    > >

    > Apparently the same firmware image covers /most/ of their newer models
    > (should have a .2sp file extension).
    >
    > > Does anyone know how to unlock these things - or should it be put in the
    > > rubbish bin.
    > >

    > http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/how-unlock-bell-2wire-modems-642005/

    Cheers, and to you others too.

    Jdownloader has the firmware on rapidshare queued - see how it goes...
    http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=222693#post222693

    And another on sendspace, also queued - actually, it's jut finished...
    http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/071.htm

    Gonna try the latter first.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 2, 2010
  6. Dave Doe

    DaveD Guest

    http://www.dsldepot.com/dslmodem.asp?mm=9 might help, as might this
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r20800398-Installing-2wire-1701-router
    Also this
    http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/1000_series_Gateway_Install_Guide.pdf
    I have a 2wire modem that came from the states and I seem to remember
    having to do a LONG reset (1min +) to get anywhere. It is an 1800 iirc
    hth
    DaveD

    DaveD, Jan 2, 2010