    locking of an entire disk.

    Any ideas?

    Mike

    Michael Chiu, Dec 27, 2003

  2. "Michael Chiu" <> wrote in message
    news:mikechiu-2712030226480001@192.168.2.14...
    > I have a Smartmedia disk that won't let me download the pictures off the
    > disk. When I mount the disk on my Mac (OS X), the 100Olympus folder has a
    > lock icon and won't even let me see the pictures that I know are there.
    >
    > The disk started in an Olympus C2000, and then it was transfered to a
    > C4000 where I took some more pictures. All of them are viewable while in
    > the camera, and none of the individual images is locked.
    >
    > I am traveling and can't check the manual now, but does anyone know how to
    > unlock the disk? I've checked all the different camera settings on the
    > C4000, which is with me now, but I can't see anything pertaining to the
    > locking of an entire disk.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Mike

    Check for a very small silver circular sticker between the label and the
    contacts of the SmartMedia. Peel it off and the card should be unlocked.

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Dec 27, 2003

  3. Michael Chiu

    Michael Chiu Guest

    Thanks for responding, but the disk is somehow locked by some other means.
    The sticker isn't there.

    Mike

    Michael Chiu, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Michael Chiu

    Ron G Guest

    Have you tried to clean the card's contacts with alcohol or contact
    cleaner? After you've done that move it in and out of its slots a few
    times. I find this procedure cures lots of SM ills.

    Ron G, Dec 27, 2003
  5. On Saturday 27 December 2003 00:26, Michael Chiu wrote:

    > I have a Smartmedia disk that won't let me download the pictures off
    > the disk. When I mount the disk on my Mac (OS X), the 100Olympus
    > folder has a lock icon and won't even let me see the pictures that I
    > know are there.
    >
    > The disk started in an Olympus C2000, and then it was transfered to a
    > C4000 where I took some more pictures. All of them are viewable while
    > in the camera, and none of the individual images is locked.
    >
    > I am traveling and can't check the manual now, but does anyone know
    > how to unlock the disk? I've checked all the different camera settings
    > on the C4000, which is with me now, but I can't see anything
    > pertaining to the locking of an entire disk.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yes. You don't have user access permission to that directory. This
    usually occurs when someone, other than you, or the system itself
    mounts something to which you, as a common user, have not been granted
    access. (This would be set up in some system configuration file read
    on boot up.)

    Did the system automatically mount the card, when you inserted it in the
    reader? You didn't mount it manually yourself?

    Check the card's directory permissions via a file browser. It will look
    something like this: drwxr-x--x. r means Read, w Write, x Execute, and
    d means Directory. Files won't have the prepended 'd'. Generally,
    these permission are: the first permission set of rwx is for the root
    user (system administrator); second set for groups, third for the
    common system users -- that's you. This is the way Unix and its clones
    are set up, and since OS X is now based on an Open Source version of
    Unix, I'm sure it is the same.

    To gain access to the directory as a normal user, you must, as the root
    user, grant yourself, the common user, that access or change root's
    ownership of the mounted card to you. I don't know how this is
    implement on the Mac, but with Linux/Unix to change ownership the
    'chown' command is used; to change the various file/directory
    permission flags -- 'chmod.' These are used via command line terminal
    window. You could also change the system config file that grants
    device accesses, but I wouldn't know which one on X would be the right
    one. Do you have an 'fstab' file somewhere on the hard drive? If so,
    that file lists which devices are mounted and where, and who has
    access, and how much.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

    Stefan Patric, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Michael Chiu

    Michael Chiu Guest

    Hello,

    Thanks for assistance. I'm fairly UNIX saavy, so here's what I get when I'm
    using "sudo"

    [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root# ls -la
    total 128
    drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 8192 Dec 31 1979 .
    drwxrwxrwt 4 root wheel 136 Dec 31 17:54 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 6148 Dec 26 14:53 .DS_Store
    drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 16384 Dec 21 15:09 .Trashes
    drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 16384 Dec 31 1998 DCIM
    [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root# ls -la DCIM/
    total 64
    drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 16384 Dec 31 1998 .
    drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 8192 Dec 31 1979 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 0 Dec 26 1970 100OLYMP
    [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root# ls -la DCIM/100OLYMP/
    [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root#

    When I am in the 100Olympus directory, it's strange that it says it doesn't
    exist, nor can I "cd .." out of it ...

    [Michaels-Computer:Unlabeled/DCIM/100OLYMP] root# ls -la
    ls: .: No such file or directory
    [Michaels-Computer:Unlabeled/DCIM/100OLYMP] root# cd ..
    ...: No such file or directory.

    So, I'm at a loss. All the pictures are visible on the camera still, but I
    can't get to them in OS X. I guess I'll try a PC.

    Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have other suggestions.

    Michael Chiu, Jan 1, 2004
  7. On Wednesday 31 December 2003 16:19, Michael Chiu wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thanks for assistance. I'm fairly UNIX saavy, so here's what I get
    > when I'm using "sudo"
    >
    > [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root# ls -la
    > total 128
    > drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 8192 Dec 31 1979 .
    > drwxrwxrwt 4 root wheel 136 Dec 31 17:54 ..
    > -rwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 6148 Dec 26 14:53 .DS_Store
    > drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 16384 Dec 21 15:09 .Trashes
    > drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 16384 Dec 31 1998 DCIM
    > [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root# ls -la DCIM/
    > total 64
    > drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 16384 Dec 31 1998 .
    > drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 8192 Dec 31 1979 ..
    > drwxrwxrwx 1 yoyoman wheel 0 Dec 26 1970 100OLYMP
    > [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root# ls -la DCIM/100OLYMP/
    > [Michaels-Computer:/Volumes/Unlabeled] root#
    >
    > When I am in the 100Olympus directory, it's strange that it says it
    > doesn't exist, nor can I "cd .." out of it ...
    >
    > [Michaels-Computer:Unlabeled/DCIM/100OLYMP] root# ls -la
    > ls: .: No such file or directory
    > [Michaels-Computer:Unlabeled/DCIM/100OLYMP] root# cd ..
    > ..: No such file or directory.
    >
    > So, I'm at a loss. All the pictures are visible on the camera still,
    > but I can't get to them in OS X. I guess I'll try a PC.
    >
    > Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have other suggestions.

    Strange. Are you hooking the camera directly to the computer or using a
    card reader? If the former, try the latter. There have been reports
    of problems with camera drivers and Linux/Unix/OSX.

    And, yes, try a PC running Windows and/or Linux to see, if the problem
    persists. I use a $9 generic USB SM card reader for my C-3030 shots,
    and have never had any problems. (System: 900MHZ AMD Duron PC, 256MB
    RAM, Slackware 9.0)

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

    Stefan Patric, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Michael Chiu

    Michael Chiu Guest

    The PC was able to read the disk.

    After formatting the disk with the camera, the Mac is able to read it again.

    Don't know why it went funky all of a sudden, but I am glad that all is
    well again.

    Michael Chiu, Jan 4, 2004