Locked Out

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tirenque, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Tirenque

    Tirenque Guest

    Hello,

    I am in trouble. I have a Cisco 877:

    Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version
    12.4(6)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Thu 23-Feb-06 04:00 by ccai
    Image text-base: 0x8002008C, data-base: 0x816320B8

    Here is my problem. The unit comes with username cisco password cisco.
    This user was deleted and the config was saved. We lost power in the
    closet shortly after that. Now I cant get into the router. I keep
    getting prompted for a user and there is none. Also I tried doing a
    normal password recovery on the unit and NO GO. Is there somekind of
    feature I am dealing with?

    PLEASE HELP ME!!!

    Tina
    Tirenque, Jun 19, 2006

  2. "Tirenque" <> writes:
    >I am in trouble. I have a Cisco 877:

    >Here is my problem. The unit comes with username cisco password cisco.
    >This user was deleted and the config was saved. We lost power in the
    >closet shortly after that. Now I cant get into the router.

    You should have replaced the cisco username with another. The routers
    by default now all come with a config that require a username. If you
    go and delete all usernames, then you'll be locked out.

    You'll have to do password recovery, (ie. google for that phrase, but
    I see its falling pretty deep off the list now. Here's the direct tech page.

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/index.shtml

    The 827/837 router is close enough for your needs.

    Make sure to do your 'conf mem' at the end to bring back your current
    config, and then configure an admin username.

    You can turnoff the username/password prompt to go back to the the old
    way of just password, but the whole thing is going to
    username/password, so you might as well go with it, and use username/password.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Tirenque

    Tirenque Guest

    OK Doug,

    Thanks for your reply

    I had learned that to do a password recovery you need to do a
    Control+Break after the image decompresses but I that would not give me
    the Rommon prompt. I needed to reboot the router several times and do
    Control+Break at different times during the bootup to discover it was
    imediately after the router gets power that I needed to do the
    Control+Break.

    I was then able to reconfigure a user and be on my way again.

    Thanks,

    Tina

    Doug McIntyre ha escrito:

    Tirenque, Jun 20, 2006