    Is it in front of a firewall or behind it?

    The IPS is a Tipping Point Unity 50.

    Any comments are appreciated.

    Doug Fox, Oct 20, 2005

  2. "Doug Fox" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Where should I installed a network-based Intrusion Prevention System

    (IPS)?
    > Is it in front of a firewall or behind it?
    >
    > The IPS is a Tipping Point Unity 50.
    >
    > Any comments are appreciated.

    Place it where you'd put any other hardware firewall?

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Well it depends of the purpose.

    If you want to increase the security in your lan : behind it.
    Why ? All the traffic that your firewall blocks doesn't have to be
    analysed since it can't get inside your lan and be dangerous.

    If you want to monitor all the traffic to see if someone is trying to
    break into your network : in front of it.

    I think that the first choice is the best one. Moreover, if you really
    want to monitor all the traffic, those equipments generate a lot of log
    files and also a lot of false alarms : analysing this data could take
    you hours and you have to be well trained to understand it and catch
    malicious activities.

    It's generaly more relevant to install it behind your firewall.

    nicolas denis, Oct 20, 2005