Locating *Specific* Information and Then Saving It After Using Adobe Reader 8.1

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello and Happy New Year!

    I have *many* PDFs to search at the same time, seeking content common to all
    of them.

    I placed all the PDFs in the same folder so that Adode Reader 8.1 could
    *focus* on it.

    This is the procedure that I follow:

    Open PDF > Click "Edit" > Click "Search" > "Browse For Location" after
    clicking the drop-down arrow to the right of "Look In".

    After doing the above, there are many choices to make depending upon the
    form field, so to speak.

    It's the number of choices that has me stymied. Perhaps that's the reason
    that I can't find the content that I'm seeking unless it's just *one word*,
    in which case I can find it.

    For example, let's say that I have PDFs containing the names of hundreds of
    companies, but I want to find only three of them. The three are:
    Red White Blue Company
    Red White Blue Ltd.
    Red White Blue Inc.

    If I enter *only* Company in "What word or phrase would you like to search
    for?", only Red White Blue Company will be located.

    On the other hand, if I enter red, white or blue in "What word or phrase
    would you like to search for?", then *all* instances of Red White Blue
    Company, Red White Blue Ltd. and Red White Blue Inc. will be located during
    the same search.

    That's not the desired result. I want to locate all instances of Red White
    Blue Company and only Red White Blue Company in a search.

    Equally, when I search for Red White Blue Ltd., I want my search results
    limited to Red White Blue Ltd. only.

    When searching, I've entered "red white blue company" (without quotation
    marks) below the field "Use these additional criteria" and then, using the
    drop-down arrow, chose "keywords".

    That didn't help at all, as all instances of Red White Blue Company, Red
    White Blue Ltd. and Red White Blue Inc. were located.

    I feel that, with so many choices, it's inevitable that I will be able to
    locate *only* that information that I'm seeking, but I'm stymied as to how
    to do so.

    Additionally, after locating the information, is there some way to save the
    search results, either in Adobe or in/through another software? I haven't
    been able to save them.

    As always, the readers of this NG have always been most helpful in assisting
    me when I've hit the proverbial brick wall.

    Thanks to all who will take the time to reply with a solution!

    Regards,

    Martin
    Martin, Jan 1, 2008

  2. "Martin" <> wrote in

    > When searching, I've entered "red white blue company" (without
    > quotation marks)

    Try it WITH quotation marks.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.
    Christopher Jahn, Jan 1, 2008

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello Christopher.

    I tried using quotation marks, but Adobe is unlike Google.

    Adobe is literal in that Red White Blue Company would need to have quotation
    marks immediately before and after it in order for instances of it could be
    located.

    Since "Red White Blue Company" (WITH quotation marks) does not appear
    anywhere in any of the PDFs, the results will be nil.

    Thank you for taking the time to offer a solution!

    Regards,

    Martin

    "Christopher Jahn" <> wrote in message
    : "Martin" <> wrote in
    : news:H6zej.130276$:
    :
    : > When searching, I've entered "red white blue company" (without
    : > quotation marks)
    :
    : Try it WITH quotation marks.
    :
    : --
    Martin, Jan 1, 2008
  4. Martin

    thanatoid Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > Hello Christopher.
    >
    > I tried using quotation marks, but Adobe is unlike Google.
    >
    > Adobe is literal in that Red White Blue Company would need
    > to have quotation marks immediately before and after it in
    > order for instances of it could be located.
    >
    > Since "Red White Blue Company" (WITH quotation marks) does
    > not appear anywhere in any of the PDFs, the results will be
    > nil.
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to offer a solution!

    Get a PDF editor which will allow you to save the text embedded
    in the PDF as a txt file. Get a decent text editor (edxor,
    notetab light, even a REAL file manager with a viewer with a
    search function will do, like total commander) and do the search
    and everything else there. Needless to say you will be able to
    save the results.

    Foxit software has a free or almost free PDF editor, I believe.

    If not for the fact that PDF's of a txt file are smaller than
    the next file (and I would REALLY like to know HOW they do it) I
    would say forget PDF unless you care about the layout and the
    pix, if any.

    --
    Needless to say, I disdain such idiocies as Xmas and New Year's,
    but I'd thought I'd play along just once...

    thanatoid's New Year's Resolutions.

    01. Stop posting good advice to help newsgroups.
    02. Stop posting stupid advice to help newsgroups.
    03. Drive to see the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas, buy a
    gun.
    04. Gamble a little in a desperate attempt to fit in for once.
    05. Hire 5 of the best looking Las Vegas hookers and have a 3
    hour orgy.
    06. Have a king-size eggs and bacon and hashbrowns with onions
    breakfast.
    07. Return to hotel room, put gun in mouth and pull trigger.
    thanatoid, Jan 1, 2008
  5. Martin

    Phat Sam Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:43:09 GMT, "Martin"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello Christopher.
    >
    >I tried using quotation marks, but Adobe is unlike Google.
    >
    >Adobe is literal in that Red White Blue Company would need to have quotation
    >marks immediately before and after it in order for instances of it could be
    >located.
    >
    >Since "Red White Blue Company" (WITH quotation marks) does not appear
    >anywhere in any of the PDFs, the results will be nil.

    Why insist on using Acrobat Reader, a program for merely displaying
    PDF files as some form of Database Lookup software. I'd recommend
    converting your .pdf's to either ASCII Text (then importing them into
    Excel, or converting them directly to Excel, depending on how they was
    printed and all.... That, or even better ask the people you got them
    from to provide the data in a more useable format.... ABC Convertor
    can convert PDFs to several text formats and there's a freeware set of
    utilities that will do all kinds of PDF processing that someone once
    posted about in here.... All command-line, you convert it to raw text,
    have it perform certain functions on it, or extract all pictures,
    etc.... Though it also requires ghost-script to be installed....
    Phat Sam, Jan 2, 2008
  6. Phat Sam <> wrote in

    > I'd recommend
    > converting your .pdf's to either ASCII Text (then importing
    > them into Excel, or converting them directly to Excel,
    > depending on how they was printed and all....

    That's great, if you have Excel. PDFs are to guarantee that
    people can read it, and see it the way you crafted it. No other
    format does that.

    In this case, the problem is not the format per se, but finding a
    particular item in a large document.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Nietzsche thought he was the Antichrist or Dionysus, but that
    was after the syphilis crossed the blood-brain barrier.
    Christopher Jahn, Jan 3, 2008
  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    Thank you for your suggestions regarding how to locate and save what I'm
    seeking.

    I'm looking forward to at least one of them being relevant to my needs.

    Regards,

    Martin
    Martin, Jan 3, 2008