    What is the best way to find a PCs physical lacation on your LAN.
    --
    A+,Network+,MCP

    That Guy, Aug 2, 2006

  2. That Guy

    Blackmetal Guest

    well, you can use a GPS for each computer :)

    Blackmetal, Aug 2, 2006

  3. That Guy

    Briscobar Guest

    That Guy <> rambled:

    > What is the best way to find a PCs physical lacation on your LAN.

    Use some sort of logical IP addressing scheme? Or use the
    floor/building/department/whatever in the computer name?

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    www.mcngp.com has a nosebleed from all the coke.

    Briscobar, Aug 2, 2006
  4. That Guy

    BD [MCNGP] Guest

    << While I was at work, That Guy spurted out:
    > What is the best way to find a PCs physical lacation on your LAN.

    Now are you wanting to know where to walk to to get to it? Or do you need to
    know where it is in a lan diagram? (ie between Server1 and Station16)

    The former is something you'll have to figure out. As for the latter, you can
    run "tracert <ip address>" to find it.
    --
    BD
    MCNGP #51

    BD [MCNGP], Aug 2, 2006
  5. "That Guy" wrote:

    > What is the best way to find a PCs physical lacation on your LAN.
    > --

    That's where the "location" tab on AD's computer property comes in handy.
    If you did your homework by filling in that tab when you add a new computer
    into your LAN, you would tell where a workstation located by looking at AD
    computer container. Even more easier, just fill-in a description in your
    system property (right click on My Computer -> Property. Then when you
    browse My Network Places, you will see the computer name plus that
    description telling you where it's located. Other than that, you won't be
    able to tell exactly where a computer physically located. Tracert only tell
    you an IP address associated with a computer by doing a revert lookup. To
    sum up, a combination of tagging and provide a narative description will not
    only help you to locate the computer easily and quickly, but also a good
    investment if you have to do inventory later.

    Dragon Without Wings, Aug 3, 2006
  6. "Dragon Without Wings" wrote:

    > Tracert only tell you an IP address associated with a computer by doing a revert lookup.

    Sounds like a description of nslookup, not tracert (traceroute).

    Henrik Johansson, Aug 6, 2006
  7. When you use tracert command, it will resolve the computer net bios name into
    IP address, plust showing you howmany hop it take to get there. NSlookup is
    more useful to check on your DNS reverse lookup.

    Dragon Without Wings, Aug 7, 2006