Localhost / Port Settings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boomer, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    John, <> wrote:

    > I run a proxy server on my Win2k Pro system. In the Internet
    > Explorer - Internet Options - LAN Settings, I have set Proxy
    > Server as Address: localhost Port:1400. This has been working
    > for some time now but after surfing several websites, the
    > settings are having no effect and the proxy server is being
    > bypassed altogether, regardless of how many times I've tried
    > resetting. Where can I verify the settings in a file or the
    > registry? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Didn't you ask this yesterday?

    John, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Boomer

    Rob Guest

    Make it impossible to look at websites through any other port.

    --
    Rob B
    http://www.techhowto.org

    Rob, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Boomer

    John Guest

    Yeah I asked yesterday but got no response - wasnt sure if message had
    gotten through on my ISP's end

    John, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    John, <> wrote:

    > Yeah I asked yesterday but got no response - wasnt sure if
    > message had gotten through on my ISP's end

    Huh? You didn't know if it got through your ISP but yet you did
    notice that there were no replies to it.

    If you received no replies there is no reason to repost again so
    soon.
    Have you asked at a Windows group also?

    Boomer, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    John, <> wrote:

    > It seems my seetings have been hi-jacked by an applet from
    > www.arongsoft.com from the looks of it

    Have you ran some/all of these programs?

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
    security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Info on above and more.

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    --Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    --Other software--
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
    [snip]

    Boomer, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Boomer

    John Guest

    I had other posts that didnt go through until I re-posted - thus I
    assumed it didn't go thrugh the first time

    John, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Boomer

    John Guest

    John, Oct 21, 2003
  9. Boomer

    John Guest

    here's my answer:
    locate a file under winnt\system32\helper32.dll
    stop this service from running - solved my problem

    thx guys/gals

    John, Oct 24, 2003