LOCAL NYC UNIGROUP MEETING: 20-MAY-2004 (Thurs): KerberosInteroperability

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Unigroup of New York, May 19, 2004.

  1. LOCAL NYC UNIGROUP MEETING: 20-MAY-2004 (Thurs): Kerberos Interoperability

    IMPORTANT: Please note our new location:

    104 Washingon Street
    Between Rector St and Carlisle St

    In the Wall Street area.

    UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - MAY 2004 MEETING

    1. UNIGROUP'S MAY 2004 GENERAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

    When: THURSDAY, May 20th, 2004 (3rd Thursday)

    Where: <<<< OUR NEW MEETING LOCATION >>>>
    Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
    104 Washington Street
    Downtown, New York City

    ** RSVP Will No Longer Be Required for Entry! **

    Time: 6:15 PM - 6:25 PM Registration
    6:25 PM - 6:45 PM Ask the Wizard, Questions,
    Answers and Current Events
    6:45 PM - 7:00 PM Unigroup Business and Announcements
    7:00 PM - 9:30 PM Main Presentation

    Topic: MIT KERBEROS 5: Introduction to Authentication and
    Cross-platform Interoperability

    Speaker: Jeff Altman, President,
    Secure Endpoints Inc.
    <http://www.secure-endpoints.com>

    INTRODUCTIONS:
    --------------

    Kerberos provides secure login facilities for Unix, Linux and
    Windows. Our speaker for this month's Kerberos meeting (and the
    planned OpenAFS meeting) will be Jeff Altman. Unigroup members
    will remember that Jeff is a past Unigroup speaker (of Kermit95
    and Telnet Security Working Group fame). Jeff has been working
    with a series of well known security related projects for many
    years.

    Unigroup has the following meetings planned over the next few
    months:
    - Solaris 10 Launch Event - Field Trip to Sun Microsystems
    - OpenAFS - Jeff Altman (followup presentation)
    - Zope / Web Development - Zope Corporation

    MIT Kerberos Version 5 is the basis for the Kerberos distributed
    with Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat Linux, Debian, MacOS X, OpenVMS,
    and just about every other Kerberos distribution other than the
    Heimdal distribution and the implementation built into Microsoft
    Windows 2000 and subsequent releases. MIT is directly responsible
    for three Kerberos products:

    - MIT Kerberos 5 for Unix/Linux
    - MIT Kerberos for Macintosh which is bundled with MacOS X
    - MIT Kerberos for Windows

    The current releases of MIT Kerberos 5 for Unix/Linux (1.3.3)
    and KfW (2.6.1) are available from the MIT Kerberos web site:

    http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/

    The MIT Kerberos 5 release 1.3.3 release fixes bugs and adds
    one major feature:

    - Support for AES in GSSAPI has been implemented. This
    corresponds to the in-progress work in the IETF (CFX).

    MIT Kerberos for Windows 2.6 release includes krb5 release
    1.3.3 and provides enhanced integration with the Microsoft
    Windows Kerberos implementation as well as OpenAFS for Windows.

    In addition to developing the leading open source implementation
    of Kerberos, the MIT Kerberos Development Group contributes more
    than half of the document authors within the IETF Kerberos
    Working Group. MIT's participation has been crucial to ensuring
    that all of the major implementations of Kerberos (including
    Microsoft's) adhere to the published standards to facilitate
    interoperability.

    This talk will provide an introduction to the Kerberos 5
    authentication protocol; a detailed overview of the MIT Kerberos
    implementation; a discussion of interoperability concerns which
    developers and administrators face when implementing and
    deploying a multi-platform Kerberos infrastructure; and some
    demonstrations utilizing the GSS on Linux, Windows, and Java.

    Note:

    If your organization would be interested in providing a grant
    to further Kerberos development at MIT. Please contact
    Marshall Vale, Team Leader, of The MIT Kerberos Team, at
    <>.

    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
    ---------------------

    While RSVPs will _NOT_ be required for this location, please RSVP
    if you know you are attending, or if there is a high probability
    that you will be attending. This will help us determine the
    correct amount of food and refreshments. Please RSVP by two days
    prior to the meeting day (the food must be ordered in advance).

    To REGISTER for this event, please RSVP by using the Unigroup
    Registration Page:
    http://www.unigroup.org/unigroup-rsvp.html
    This will allow us to automate the registration process.
    (Registration will also add you to our mailing list.)

    Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
    for any last minute updates concerning this meeting. If you
    registered for this meeting, please check your email for any
    last minute announcements as the meeting approaches.

    Outline of the Main Presentation:
    ---------------------------------

    In this talk, Jeffrey Altman, from Secure Endpoints Inc., will
    discuss the Kerberos 5 trusted third party implementation.

    The topics will include:

    - Introduction to the Kerberos 5 Protocol and Why It Works.

    - Overview of the MIT Kerberos 5 Implementation for
    Unix/Linux/MacOS X and Microsoft Windows.

    - Discussion of Cross Implementation Interoperability and
    Single Sign-On (SSO).

    - GSS API bindings (C, Java, and Microsoft's SSPI).

    - IETF Kerberos Working Group Status Report.

    Web Resources:
    --------------

    Kerberos: The Network Authentication Protocol
    http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/

    The MIT Kerberos Team
    http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krbdev.html

    The Kerberos Network Authentication Service
    http://gost.isi.edu/info/kerberos/

    Kerberos FAQ
    http://www.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/people/kenh/kerberos-faq.html

    Step-by-Step Guide to Kerberos 5 Interoperability
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/kerbsteps.asp
    (other Kerberos links are also on this page)

    Speaker Biography:
    ------------------

    Jeffrey Altman, is the President of Secure Endpoints Inc., and is
    a long time open source developer and participant in the Internet
    Engineering Task Force. Jeffrey's current projects and roles
    include:

    * MIT Kerberos. Core team member. http;//web.mit.edu/kerberos/

    Contributor to the Kerberos 5 library and applications; and
    lead developer of the Kerberos for Windows product.

    * OpenAFS. Gatekeeper. http://www.openafs.org

    Lead developer for the Windows port of OpenAFS client
    and server.

    * C-Kermit and Kermit 95. Contributing developer.
    http://www.kermit-project.org

    Kermit 95 Program author. Responsible for all security and
    network protocol stack components.

    * OpenSSL. Contributing developer. http://www.openssl.org

    * Project JXTA. Director. http://www.jxta.org

    Company Biography:
    ------------------

    Secure Endpoints Inc. specializes in providing support and new
    development for open source products on the Microsoft Windows
    2000/XP/2003 family of products.

    Giveaways:
    ----------

    O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
    books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
    meetings.

    Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
    enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
    continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.
    Addison-Wesley also has a new end-user discount, available
    through their User Group program. We will be announcing the
    details at our next meeting!

    Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
    provided by their User Group programs.

    Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
    our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
    (ie. many of these books are valued between $30 and $60)!

    Novell has provided us with some SuSE Linux Distributions.

    IBM has provided us with some IBM Tote Bags and Linux Penguins.

    Fee Schedule:
    Yearly Membership (includes all meetings): $ 50.00
    Non-Member Single Meeting: $ 20.00
    Student Yearly Membership: $ 20.00
    Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID): $ 5.00
    Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

    Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served. This includes
    sandwiches such as turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna and grilled
    vegetables as well as cookies, bottled water and assorted beverages.

    Directions:

    Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
    104 Washington Street
    Wall Street Area
    Downtown, New York City

    This building is located on the West side of the street. Cross
    Streets: Between Rector (South) and Carlisle (North) Streets.

    Our meeting location is in the Lower West Corner of Downtown,
    North of the Battery Tunnel, South of the Downtown Hotel,
    East of West Street, and West of Greenwich Street. Walking West
    on Rector Street from Broadway, you pass Church, Greenwich then
    Washington Streets.

    There are multiple blocks of parking lots right there, between
    Washington and Greenwich Streets, starting at the Battery Tunnel
    and extending North for a number of blocks.

    Nearest mass transit stations, in order, are the '1/9' (Rector
    Street), 'R/W' (Rector Street) and the '4/5' (Wall Street).

    -----

    Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
    Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

    -----------------
    2. UPCOMING MEETINGS
    -----------------

    We have a series of meetings in the works:

    - Kerberos - Jeff Altman - May 2004
    - OpenAFS - Jeff Altman - Planned
    - Solaris 10 - Launch Event - Field Trip to Sun Microsystems
    - Zope / Web Page Development - Zope Corporation - Planned
    - Unix/Linux/BSD and Wireless Communications/Security
    - IPsec
    - DNS
    - Unix 30th Birthday Celebration
    - iSCSI, Serial ATA, and other new peripheral technologies
    - Unix Clusters and Clustered Databases
    - Linux Clustering Part 3: Beowulf version 2
    - Building a Firewall using FreeBSD and Linux
    - High Performance Internet Servers / Web Acceleration
    - Unix Office Tools: Word Processors, Spreadsheets, Accounting Packages.
    - PKI
    - GNU Development Environments
    - Meetings on a variety of Sun/Solaris/Java topics

    Please let us know about any other meeting topics that you may be
    interested in. Potential speakers on Unix related technology topics
    should contact the Unigroup board at .

    --------------
    3. PRIOR MEETINGS
    --------------

    Unigroup would like to thank IBM, and our speaker Bill Sandve, for his
    presentation on "AIX / AIX5L Overview and Futures". Bill flew in
    from Texas for this meeting and presented a broad history of AIX,
    past, present and future. Unigroup members were briefed on various
    IBM proprietary initiatives with AIX, which are not generally known
    to the public. We also learned about specific areas where IBM is
    focusing future AIX development, and various features in AIX which
    will support the next generation of IBM Unix/Linux systems. We also
    discussed the ways in which multiple instances of AIX and Linux can
    co-exist together on a single hardware system.

    We would also like to thank Dan Dantzic of the IBM Linux Center of
    Competence, for hosting our Field trip to IBM, and Jim Gleason of the
    IBM Linux Cluster Group (and NYLUG), for finding us this Field Trip
    meeting location at IBM.

    --------------------
    4. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
    --------------------

    Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
    the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s. Unigroup
    is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded volunteer
    organization. Unigroup holds regular and special event meetings
    throughout the year on technical topics relating to Unix and the Unix
    User Community. Unigroup is also the Greater NYC Regional Area Affiliate
    of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.

    Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for (at a minimum) the Third
    THURSDAY of Odd Months. We generally try to hold Field Trip Meetings on
    the Even Months, although we will have the ability to hold monthly
    meetings at our new downtown meeting location.

    Planned meeting dates are: 5/20/2004, 6/17/2004, 7/15/2004...
    Watch for our Special Event meetings at the various trade shows in NYC
    as well as "Field Trips" to the facilities of local hardware and
    software vendors.

    = For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
    = visit our World Wide Web Home Page: =
    = http://www.unigroup.org =

    For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
    List send an EMail message to:

    To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:

    To contact the Newsletter Editor, send an EMail message to:

    If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
    Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
    corrections to our lists.

    Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
    meeting topics and speakers. Unigroup welcomes contributions and
    content suggestions for our newsletter. Unigroup is a volunteer
    organization and we need your assistance! Please let us know if you
    can help!

    -----------
    5. TRADE SHOWS
    -----------

    CeBit 2004
    ----------

    The CeBit Show is coming to the Javits Center in NYC on these dates:

    Tue May 25 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    Wed May 26 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    Thu May 27 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM

    For more information, or for complimentary online registration, visit:
    http://www.cebit-america.com

    SIA Show - TMC2004 - Securities Industry Technology Management Conference

    The SIA Show is coming to the Hilton New York in NYC on these dates:

    Tue Jun 8 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    Wed Jun 9 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
    Thu Jun 10 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

    For more information, or for complimentary online registration, visit:
    http://www.sia.com/tmc2004

    *Please let us know about any local trade shows which may be of interest
    to our membership, and are not listed above.

    I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

    -Rob Weiner
    Unigroup Executive Director

    http://www.unigroup.org

    Unigroup of New York, May 19, 2004