    get a BT directory entry with that number?

    TIA,

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, Jun 18, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh John F Kappler:
    > This may not be the right place for this question but I'll try
    > anyway....
    >
    > My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming calls. Will I
    > get a BT directory entry with that number?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > JohnK

    Only if you request it.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 18, 2006

  3. John F Kappler

    Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:26:03 GMT, (John F
    Kappler) wrote:

    >My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming calls. Will I
    >get a BT directory entry with that number?

    To my knowledge the only way to get a BT entry is to be a BT customer
    or maybe a Telewest customer .

    , Jun 18, 2006
  4. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh John F Kappler:
    > > This may not be the right place for this question but
    > > I'll try anyway....
    > >
    > > My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming
    > > calls. Will I get a BT directory entry with that number?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > JohnK

    > Only if you request it.

    Not always the case, it depends on the VoIP provider. Sipgate for one do
    not list numbers in any directory, they say it is for regulatory reasons,
    but not sure what they mean by that..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 18, 2006
  5. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:26:03 GMT,
    > (John F Kappler) wrote:
    >

    > > My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming
    > > calls. Will I get a BT directory entry with that number?

    > To my knowledge the only way to get a BT entry is to be a
    > BT customer or maybe a Telewest customer .

    I believe you can request a mobile number to be listed.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 18, 2006
  6. John F Kappler

    Jono Guest

    formulated the question :
    > On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:26:03 GMT, (John F
    > Kappler) wrote:
    >

    >> My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming calls. Will I
    >> get a BT directory entry with that number?

    > To my knowledge the only way to get a BT entry is to be a BT customer
    > or maybe a Telewest customer .

    I have my mobile number listed in the directory.

    I used to pay about £5 a quarter for this "special entry"

    I cancelled it 10 years ago...........it's still in.

    You can have any number listed in the directory, it would seem.

    Jono, Jun 18, 2006
  7. John F Kappler

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones pretended :
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:26:03 GMT,
    >> (John F Kappler) wrote:
    >>

    >> > My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming
    >> > calls. Will I get a BT directory entry with that number?

    >> To my knowledge the only way to get a BT entry is to be a
    >> BT customer or maybe a Telewest customer .

    > I believe you can request a mobile number to be listed.
    >
    > Ivor

    Fastest finger first!

    Jono, Jun 18, 2006
  8. John F Kappler

    Sean Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > formulated the question :
    >> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:26:03 GMT, (John F
    >> Kappler) wrote:
    >>

    >>> My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming calls. Will I
    >>> get a BT directory entry with that number?

    >> To my knowledge the only way to get a BT entry is to be a BT customer
    >> or maybe a Telewest customer .

    > I have my mobile number listed in the directory.
    >
    > I used to pay about £5 a quarter for this "special entry"
    >
    > I cancelled it 10 years ago...........it's still in.
    >
    > You can have any number listed in the directory, it would seem.

    I have noticed mobile numbers in the telephone directory.. Seems to be
    one on almost every page!

    I asked about it ages ago, and was told it was not possible.

    Interesting stuff :D

    Sean, Jun 18, 2006
  9. John F Kappler

    Jono Guest

    Sean brought next idea :

    > I have noticed mobile numbers in the telephone directory.. Seems to be one on
    > almost every page!

    You have far too much time on your hands ;-)

    Jono, Jun 18, 2006
  10. John F Kappler

    Telephoneman Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > wrote in message
    >> Thus spaketh John F Kappler:
    >> > This may not be the right place for this question but
    >> > I'll try anyway....
    >> >
    >> > My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming
    >> > calls. Will I get a BT directory entry with that number?
    >> >
    >> > TIA,
    >> >
    >> > JohnK

    >> Only if you request it.

    > Not always the case, it depends on the VoIP provider. Sipgate for one do
    > not list numbers in any directory, they say it is for regulatory reasons,
    > but not sure what they mean by that..!
    >
    > Ivor

    AFAIK if you are a UK Company issuing numbers to UK customers it is a
    regulatory requirement that you must offer the facility of entry into the UK
    phone directory for those that request it.

    Telephoneman, Jun 18, 2006
  11. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Telephoneman" <>
    wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Not always the case, it depends on the VoIP provider.
    > > Sipgate for one do not list numbers in any directory,
    > > they say it is for regulatory reasons, but not sure
    > > what they mean by that..!

    > AFAIK if you are a UK Company issuing numbers to UK
    > customers it is a regulatory requirement that you must
    > offer the facility of entry into the UK phone directory
    > for those that request it.

    Sipgate are not a UK company. In any case, the directory is if I am
    correct, compiled and maintained by BT, are you sure they are obliged to
    insert the numbers of customers who are their direct competitors..?

    Could you quote the source of your information, please..? This is not a
    criticism, I am genuinely interested.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2006
  12. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote
    in message

    [snip]

    > Fastest finger first!

    ???

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2006
  13. Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
    > "Telephoneman" <>
    > wrote in message
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> Not always the case, it depends on the VoIP provider.
    >>> Sipgate for one do not list numbers in any directory,
    >>> they say it is for regulatory reasons, but not sure
    >>> what they mean by that..!

    >> AFAIK if you are a UK Company issuing numbers to UK
    >> customers it is a regulatory requirement that you must
    >> offer the facility of entry into the UK phone directory
    >> for those that request it.

    > Sipgate are not a UK company. In any case, the directory is if I am
    > correct, compiled and maintained by BT, are you sure they are obliged
    > to insert the numbers of customers who are their direct competitors..?
    >
    > Could you quote the source of your information, please..? This is not
    > a criticism, I am genuinely interested.
    >

    > Ivor

    They have always listed telephone numbers of those on cable, unless you
    asked not to be listed.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 19, 2006
  14. John F Kappler

    Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:05:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Sipgate are not a UK company.

    This is plainly obvious by the total crap service they provide to
    customers.

    , Jun 19, 2006
  15. John F Kappler

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Telephoneman" <>
    > wrote in message
    >> AFAIK if you are a UK Company issuing numbers to UK
    >> customers it is a regulatory requirement that you must
    >> offer the facility of entry into the UK phone directory
    >> for those that request it.

    > Sipgate are not a UK company. In any case, the directory is if I am
    > correct, compiled and maintained by BT, are you sure they are obliged to
    > insert the numbers of customers who are their direct competitors..?

    BT are required to allow other operators to have entries added to the
    OSIS database which is used for Directory Enquiries. The wholesale
    provider for Sipgate (i.e. the company providing PSTN-interconnect)
    should be able to add numbers to OSIS if asked.

    Whether Sipgate are offered this service or whether they choose to offer
    it to their users are different matters.

    Paul Cupis, Jun 19, 2006
  16. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message

    > BT are required to allow other operators to have entries
    > added to the OSIS database which is used for Directory
    > Enquiries. The wholesale provider for Sipgate (i.e. the
    > company providing PSTN-interconnect) should be able to
    > add numbers to OSIS if asked.
    >
    > Whether Sipgate are offered this service or whether they
    > choose to offer it to their users are different matters.

    They state on their website it is not possible to add numbers to the
    directory for "regulatory reasons" but no more detail is given. Maybe it
    is something to do with German law..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2006
  17. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:05:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Sipgate are not a UK company.

    > This is plainly obvious by the total crap service they
    > provide to customers.

    I'm not opening up that particular can of worms again, but I am curious as
    to what a company's country of origin has to do with their ability to
    provide a service..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2006
  18. John F Kappler

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> BT are required to allow other operators to have entries
    >> added to the OSIS database which is used for Directory
    >> Enquiries. The wholesale provider for Sipgate (i.e. the
    >> company providing PSTN-interconnect) should be able to
    >> add numbers to OSIS if asked.
    >>
    >> Whether Sipgate are offered this service or whether they
    >> choose to offer it to their users are different matters.

    > They state on their website it is not possible to add numbers to the
    > directory for "regulatory reasons" but no more detail is given. Maybe it
    > is something to do with German law..?

    Maybe it is, but it is not anything to do with UK regulation AFAICS.

    Paul Cupis, Jun 19, 2006
  19. John F Kappler wrote:
    > This may not be the right place for this question but I'll try
    > anyway....
    >
    > My VOIP SP offers me a local code number for incoming calls. Will I
    > get a BT directory entry with that number?

    Yes, that is possible, but usually depends on the SP.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 19, 2006
  20. John F Kappler

    Sean Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:05:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Sipgate are not a UK company.

    > This is plainly obvious by the total crap service they provide to
    > customers.

    Is there any need for this? They offer a service, if you dont like it,
    get over it. There are many happy customers using the service i'm sure!

    Sean, Jun 19, 2006