    Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
    TKS
    Norvin

    Norvin, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Norvin

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Norvin wrote:
    > When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to the
    > right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am using
    > Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
    > TKS
    > Norvin

    It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
    out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Norvin wrote:
    > When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to the
    > right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am using
    > Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
    > TKS
    > Norvin

    what do you expect from a miscrosoft site?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Norvin

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Norvin wrote:
    >> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to
    >> the right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am
    >> using Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
    >> TKS
    >> Norvin

    > It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
    > out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.

    I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
    Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Norvin

    Norvin Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Norvin wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to
    >>> the right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am
    >>> using Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
    >>> TKS
    >>> Norvin

    >> It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
    >> out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
    >>

    > I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
    > Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

    One last question (?), what is UA and a quick clue where to find it.
    tks

    Norvin, Aug 7, 2007
  6. Norvin wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
    >>> out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
    >>>

    >> I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
    >> Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.
    >>

    > One last question (?), what is UA and a quick clue where to find it.
    > tks

    UA is your user agent. Click on help and About Mozilla and
    after Mozilla 1.7.13 is your UA, which is currently this:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13)
    Gecko/20060414

    Every browser sends out the UA to websites. Some websites
    will sniff this UA and block your browser. MS sites are
    notorious for doing things like this. To change your UA on
    the fly is to get the User Agent Switcher. This will let
    your browser pretend that you're another browser on another
    platform. I mean, in reality you can be windows xp and
    using Moz 1.7.13, but with the UA, you can pretend to be
    Netscape 8.1.3, on a linux platform.

    You can get the UA Switcher here:
    http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Aug 8, 2007
  7. Norvin

    Norvin Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Norvin wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
    >>> Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.
    >>>

    >> One last question (?), what is UA and a quick clue where to find it.
    >> tks

    > UA is your user agent. Click on help and About Mozilla and after
    > Mozilla 1.7.13 is your UA, which is currently this:
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414
    >
    > Every browser sends out the UA to websites. Some websites will sniff
    > this UA and block your browser. MS sites are notorious for doing things
    > like this. To change your UA on the fly is to get the User Agent
    > Switcher. This will let your browser pretend that you're another
    > browser on another platform. I mean, in reality you can be windows xp
    > and using Moz 1.7.13, but with the UA, you can pretend to be Netscape
    > 8.1.3, on a linux platform.
    >
    > You can get the UA Switcher here:
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    Thanks for the info,
    Norvin

    Norvin, Aug 8, 2007
  8. Norvin

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:50:03 -0400, in message <>,
    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    > > Norvin wrote:
    > >> When I try to go to this site (local.live.com) I am unable to get to
    > >> the right screen. Friend uses MS browser and has no problem, I am
    > >> using Mozilla 1.7.13. Any suggestions.
    > >> TKS
    > >> Norvin

    > > It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
    > > out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
    > >

    > I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
    > Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

    I see a similar problem with http://maps.live.com/
    It works in Firefox, but not in K-Meleon.
    As you say, it is bad browser sniffing.
    I get around it by having K-Meleon spoof Firefox's User-Agent.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Aug 8, 2007
  9. Norvin

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 06:40:41 +0000, in message <>,
    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:50:03 -0400, in message <>,
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    > > Ed Mullen wrote:
    > > >
    > > > It works in Firefox but not SeaMonkey. I haven't been able to figure
    > > > out why but it could be a bad browser-sniffing method that is the cause.
    > > >

    > > I did test it. It's bad browser sniffing. Change your UA in Mozilla
    > > Suite to anything other than Mozilla Suite and it'll work.

    > I see a similar problem with http://maps.live.com/
    > It works in Firefox, but not in K-Meleon.
    > As you say, it is bad browser sniffing.
    > I get around it by having K-Meleon spoof Firefox's User-Agent.

    On a similar note, Google maps also has a little problem with
    bad browser snuffing.

    Google maps works *mostly* the same whether or not K-Meleon is
    spoofing Firefox's User-Agent. But there is one useful feature
    missing when K-Meleon is using its own UA, not Firefox's UA.
    That is, the little < triangle between the left (text) and right
    (map) panes, which allows one to hide the left pane and have more
    of the map.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph