    Where is the index.html and can I change that location

    TA

    Desmond.

    Des, Oct 14, 2011

  2. Des

    Carlos Guest

    Desmond,
    What is it that you are trying to do when you type http://local host.
    Hosts file is usually located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\"
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 15, 2011

  3. Des

    Steve Foster Guest

    Des wrote:

    > Hi
    > When I type http:\\local host
    >
    > Where is the index.html and can I change that location

    Assuming that you have installed a web server on your box, it's
    wherever the web server says it is, and will be configured using the
    web server tools (eg in IIS the default location of the default site is
    C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT).

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:

    Steve Foster, Oct 15, 2011
  4. Des

    Des Guest

    On Oct 15, 2:42 pm, "Steve Foster" <>
    wrote:
    > Des wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > When I type http:\\local host

    > > Where is the index.html and can I change that location

    > Assuming that you have installed a web server on your box, it's
    > wherever the web server says it is, and will be configured using the
    > web server tools (eg in IIS the default location of the default site is
    > C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT).
    >
    > --
    > Steve Foster
    > For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

    I have had to install Apachie web server on my Windows 7 64 bit PC. I
    have an index.html in the Apachie server but if I change its contents
    I don't see it. Windows is looking at a totaly difrent index.html.

    If I new where it was I could point the Apachi webserver at it instead.

    Des, Oct 18, 2011
  5. Des

    Steve Foster Guest

    Des wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 2:42 pm, "Steve Foster" <>
    > wrote:
    > > Des wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > > When I type http:\\local host

    > > > Where is the index.html and can I change that location

    > > Assuming that you have installed a web server on your box, it's
    > > wherever the web server says it is, and will be configured using the
    > > web server tools (eg in IIS the default location of the default
    > > site is C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT).
    > >

    > I have had to install Apachie web server on my Windows 7 64 bit PC. I
    > have an index.html in the Apachie server but if I change its contents
    > I don't see it. Windows is looking at a totaly difrent index.html.

    If you were already visiting "http://localhost" with a web browser and
    getting a response, then you had already installed a web server, and
    had no need to install Apache.

    Note that the name of the default document shown by the web server
    isn't necessarily index.html (a point that I could have made first time
    around), unless the URL actually reads "http://localhost/index.html" in
    the address bar of the web browser.

    I'm struggling to figure out what you're trying to say in the final
    sentence of that paragraph - unless you mean the results in your web
    browser aren't related to the index.html that Apache would be using.

    If that's true, that confirms the "web server already present" idea.

    > If I new where it was I could point the Apachi webserver at it
    > instead.

    I suspect that would do you no good, since it sounds like you now have
    two web servers installed.

    Steve Foster, Oct 18, 2011