local company versus skype

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by hawat.thufir@gmail.com, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm looking at
    <http://www.digitalvoice.ca>,<http://www.peopleline.net/> and
    <http://www.skype.com/> for making calls to regular phones in
    vancouver, BC, canada. I'll gladly accept recomendations :)

    SKYPE: I like the credit idea for SkypeOut, but
    <http://moneybookers.com/> is down at the moment.

    DIGITAL VOICE: $20/month, first month free, free "Digital Voice phone
    adapter," according to a pamphlet. why the hardware, why not just
    headset with mic?

    PEOPLE LINE/HOME I-LINE: $10/month, nice price, like the flat rate and
    not dealing with an intermediary.

    I don't quite get where the call originates from as I'm connecting from
    an 802.11b network adapter to a router to a (shaw) cable modem...what
    number appears on the recipients caller-id?

    Mainly I'm looking for advice, over-looked options, different
    companies, etc. I need to be able to call "regular" local numbers. At
    present I have no need for long-distance or international, so that's
    not a factor. What sort of hardware makes sense, just something from
    <http://skype.com/store/accessories/>, or does this "Digital Voice
    phone adapter" make sense, particularly since it's free?

    thanks,

    Thufir
    , Mar 2, 2005

  2. wrote:
    Snip
    || I don't quite get where the call originates from as I'm connecting
    || from an 802.11b network adapter to a router to a (shaw) cable
    || modem...what number appears on the recipients caller-id?
    snip

    With SkypeOut, "Unknown" appears on the CLID Unit
    The Cable Guy, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    for me, that's not a bug, that's a feature! ;)

    thanks
    , Mar 2, 2005
  4. dc Guest

    > DIGITAL VOICE: $20/month, first month free, free "Digital Voice phone
    > adapter," according to a pamphlet. why the hardware, why not just
    > headset with mic?

    I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone adater.
    (www.sipura.com) Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial tone. I
    really like, much cheaper than the phone company.
    dc, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Guest

    dc wrote:
    [..]
    > I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone

    adater.
    > (www.sipura.com) Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial

    tone. I
    > really like, much cheaper than the phone company.

    ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm
    connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to
    cable modem).

    currently the phone adapter's connected to the ethernet jack of the
    computer, while the 802.11b network adapter (NIC) is connected to a USB
    port. if the ethernet NIC is enabled, will that enable the phone
    adapter?

    the only light blinking on the phone adapter is the power light. the
    ethernet light and the lights for both phone jacks are dead, so there's
    no traffic on the ethernet NIC.

    The phone adapter:
    <http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>, which
    is free for thirty days :)

    thanks,

    Thufir
    , Mar 3, 2005
  6. dc Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > dc wrote:
    > [..]
    > > I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone

    > adater.
    > > (www.sipura.com) Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial

    > tone. I
    > > really like, much cheaper than the phone company.

    > ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm
    > connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to
    > cable modem).
    >
    > currently the phone adapter's connected to the ethernet jack of the
    > computer, while the 802.11b network adapter (NIC) is connected to a USB
    > port. if the ethernet NIC is enabled, will that enable the phone
    > adapter?
    >
    > the only light blinking on the phone adapter is the power light. the
    > ethernet light and the lights for both phone jacks are dead, so there's
    > no traffic on the ethernet NIC.
    >
    > The phone adapter:
    > <http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>, which
    > is free for thirty days :)
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > Thufir

    it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that your using
    a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and the NIC
    should probably also be enabled.
    hope it helps.
    dc
    dc, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Guest

    dc wrote:
    [..]
    > it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that

    your using
    > a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and

    the NIC
    > should probably also be enabled.
    > hope it helps.
    > dc

    I don't follow what you mean by a "cross-over cable," there's an
    ethernet cable running from the phone adapter to the ethernet NIC's
    jack. The cable is RJ-11, I believe, it looks like a wider phone
    connection.

    (No luck so far with enabling the ethernet NIC, it seems to disable the
    802.11b NIC for some reason. After some more googling I'll take that
    to a different group if I can't get it working, since it's tangential
    here.)

    thanks,

    Thufir
    , Mar 3, 2005
  8. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > dc wrote:
    > [..]
    >
    >>it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that

    > your using
    >
    >>a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and

    > the NIC
    >
    >>should probably also be enabled.
    >>hope it helps.
    >>dc

    > I don't follow what you mean by a "cross-over cable," there's an
    > ethernet cable running from the phone adapter to the ethernet NIC's

    Try a "crossover" connection: it allows two NIC to talk to each other.
    OR look up the specs for your TA (telephone adapter) and see what is needed.

    > jack. The cable is RJ-11, I believe, it looks like a wider phone
    > connection.

    Yes, That'll be a RJ-45 (looks quite similar, but wider).

    > (No luck so far with enabling the ethernet NIC, it seems to disable the
    > 802.11b NIC for some reason. After some more googling I'll take that
    > to a different group if I can't get it working, since it's tangential
    > here.)

    First, try it without the wireless connection.
    Rick Merrill, Mar 3, 2005
  9. Heimo Hetl Guest

    wrote:

    > ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm
    > connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to
    > cable modem).

    Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone <http://www.zyxel.com/product
    P2000W.php>. This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which is more
    or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless phone in your
    802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates, and it will
    work with your PC being switched off.

    Doesn't your WLAN router have a LAN port? You could attach an analog phone
    adapter there.

    cheers
    Heimo

    --
    l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
    Heimo Hetl, Mar 3, 2005
  10. Guest

    Heimo Hetl wrote:
    [..]
    > Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone <http://www.zyxel.com/product
    > P2000W.php>. This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which is

    more
    > or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless phone

    in your
    > 802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates, and it

    will
    > work with your PC being switched off.

    it'd probably have to connect to the router, to which I don't have
    access to.

    > Doesn't your WLAN router have a LAN port? You could attach an analog

    phone
    > adapter there.

    [..]

    I don't have physical access to the WLAN router, just 802.11b wireless.

    thanks,

    Thufir
    , Mar 3, 2005
  11. Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    [..]

    > Try a "crossover" connection: it allows two NIC to talk to each

    other.
    > OR look up the specs for your TA (telephone adapter) and see what is

    needed.
    [..]

    the telephone adapter:
    <http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>

    I don't follow you at all on this "crossover" connection. the 802.11b
    NIC is of the external USB type, it plugs into a USB port on the
    computer. The ethernet NIC is internal with an RJ-45 (thanks for the
    correction) jack. Googling produces this factoid:

    " Ethernet crossover cables are most often used in home networks when
    connecting two ethernet computers without a hub. An Ethernet crossover
    cable has it's send and receive wires crossed. When using a hub or
    switch, this is automatically done for you."

    I don't see how to connect the two NIC's, although the're both
    connected to the same computer. Since the 802.11b NIC plugs into USB,
    neither a hub nor a switch would work..?

    > First, try it without the wireless connection.

    under "Network and Dial-up Connections":

    NIC #1:
    Local Area Connection LAN enabled SMC EZ Connect Wireless
    USB Adapter (2662W)

    NIC #2:
    Local Area Connection2 LAN Network cable unplugged SiS900
    PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

    So, I should remove the 802.11b NIC first? I'll give that a go.

    thanks,

    Thufir

    (note: I have a virtually identical thread "enable second NIC for
    VOIP" in microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    , Mar 3, 2005
  12. Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Heimo Hetl wrote:
    >> Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone <http://www.zyxel.com/product
    >> P2000W.php>. This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which is more
    >> or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless phone in
    >> your 802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates, and it
    >> will work with your PC being switched off.

    > it'd probably have to connect to the router, to which I don't have
    > access to.

    These phones don't require any physical connection; they use wifi (that's
    sort of the point).

    However, I haven't heard from many people who were terribly thrilled with
    their performance.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 3, 2005
  13. Guest

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > Heimo Hetl wrote:
    > >> Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone

    <http://www.zyxel.com/product
    > >> P2000W.php>. This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which

    is more
    > >> or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless

    phone in
    > >> your 802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates,

    and it
    > >> will work with your PC being switched off.

    > > it'd probably have to connect to the router, to which I don't have
    > > access to.

    > These phones don't require any physical connection; they use wifi

    (that's
    > sort of the point).
    >
    > However, I haven't heard from many people who were terribly thrilled

    with
    > their performance.
    >
    > miguel
    > --
    > Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents:

    http://travel.u.nu
    > Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

    oh, i see. i wasn't reading very carefully, it's like a cordless phone,
    but the base station is the 802.11b router, or something. that's not
    up my alley, i'm trying to do without any fancy hardware. sounds
    intrigueing, though.

    Thufir
    , Mar 3, 2005
  14. dc Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > dc wrote:
    > [..]
    > > it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that

    > your using
    > > a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and

    > the NIC
    > > should probably also be enabled.
    > > hope it helps.
    > > dc

    > I don't follow what you mean by a "cross-over cable," there's an
    > ethernet cable running from the phone adapter to the ethernet NIC's
    > jack. The cable is RJ-11, I believe, it looks like a wider phone
    > connection.
    >
    > (No luck so far with enabling the ethernet NIC, it seems to disable the
    > 802.11b NIC for some reason. After some more googling I'll take that
    > to a different group if I can't get it working, since it's tangential
    > here.)
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Thufir

    See: http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm
    this is how you can make cross over cables. when you connect to a hub, it
    does the crossing over for you. but when you are going fron nic to nic you
    need a cross over cable for it to work. I am sure that this will get you up
    and running.
    dc, Mar 4, 2005
  15. Heimo Hetl Guest

    wrote:

    > oh, i see. i wasn't reading very carefully, it's like a cordless phone,
    > but the base station is the 802.11b router, or something.

    that's it, exactly.

    > that's not
    > up my alley, i'm trying to do without any fancy hardware. sounds
    > intrigueing, though.

    well, as for real-world performance, i've yet to try one myself. Currently I
    use a Grandstream ATA486 which is hooked up to a RJ45 port on my LAN hub
    (behind my cable modem and firewall/router) in connection with a cheapo
    Motorola DECT cordless, and it works perfectly, just like a plain old
    telephone should.

    If you want to use your PC (with headset) as a phone, have a look at X-Lite
    from <http://www.xten.com> It's a free softphone for Win/Mac/Linux which I
    tried on Win2000 and MacOS X. Both worked fine. It does SIP, so you can use
    it with any SIP provider that suits your taste. (I'm in Vienna, Austria/EU,
    so I don't know the companies you mentioned, nor any alternative providers
    in Canada...) Generally, I would recommend going with SIP rather than a
    proprietary protocol like skype, because this leaves you with a choice of
    both service providers and handsets.

    In case you do want some external IP phone or analog phone adapter box, you
    will have to set up your Win2000 PC as a router between the WLAN NIC and
    the Ethernet NIC. I am sure someone in the Windows-related newsgroups will
    be able to help you with that.

    As for cabling, you may or may not need a crossover cable, depending on your
    Ethernet NIC. If your NIC is autosensing you won't need it, but it won't
    hurt. So, if you get one anyway, you're on the safe side.

    cheers
    Heimo

    --
    l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
    Heimo Hetl, Mar 4, 2005
  16. Guest

    Heimo Hetl wrote:
    > wrote:

    [..]
    > If you want to use your PC (with headset) as a phone, have a look at

    X-Lite
    > from <http://www.xten.com> It's a free softphone for Win/Mac/Linux

    which I
    > tried on Win2000 and MacOS X. Both worked fine. It does SIP, so you

    can use
    > it with any SIP provider that suits your taste. (I'm in Vienna,

    Austria/EU,
    > so I don't know the companies you mentioned, nor any alternative

    providers
    > in Canada...) Generally, I would recommend going with SIP rather than

    > proprietary protocol like skype, because this leaves you with a

    choice of
    > both service providers and handsets.

    I only have the phone adapter free for one month, so around April 1st
    I'll switch to another company. thanks for the tip on xten and SIP,
    i'll look into those :)

    > In case you do want some external IP phone or analog phone adapter

    box, you
    > will have to set up your Win2000 PC as a router between the WLAN NIC

    and
    > the Ethernet NIC. I am sure someone in the Windows-related newsgroups

    will
    > be able to help you with that.

    ahhh, thank you for stating the problem. Yes, I'll google on making
    the PC act as a router between the NIC's; I don't think I stated the
    problem very well.

    > As for cabling, you may or may not need a crossover cable, depending

    on your
    > Ethernet NIC. If your NIC is autosensing you won't need it, but it

    won't
    > hurt. So, if you get one anyway, you're on the safe side.

    [..]

    I don't see where the crossover cable comes into play here: where does
    it plug in? the 802.11b NIC doesn't have an RJ-45 port and the phone
    adapter only has one RJ-45 port, which connects to the ethernet NIC,
    presumabely.

    thanks for clearing some stuff up :)

    -Thufir
    , Mar 4, 2005
  17. dc Guest

    > I don't see where the crossover cable comes into play here: where does
    > it plug in? the 802.11b NIC doesn't have an RJ-45 port and the phone
    > adapter only has one RJ-45 port, which connects to the ethernet NIC,
    > presumabely.

    the crossover cable would be the cable that goes from the phone adapter into
    the ethernet NIC. It would be the same as going from the phone adapter to a
    hub then to the ethernet NIC. Think of the crossover cable as a single port
    hub. (1 in, 1 out)
    dc, Mar 5, 2005
  18. Guest

    so instead of using a regular cable to connect the phone adapter and
    ethernet NIC, it's a crossover cable?

    ok...I'll check this out.

    Thufir
    , Mar 5, 2005
  19. Guest

    Christopher from Linksys support says I need to enable the PC as a
    router, but that they don't support that.

    Thufir
    , Mar 5, 2005
  20. dc Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > so instead of using a regular cable to connect the phone adapter and
    > ethernet NIC, it's a crossover cable?
    >
    > ok...I'll check this out.
    >
    > Thufir

    that is correct.