Loads of failed calls via sipgate - I give up!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Terry K, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Terry K

    Terry K Guest

    After suffering with sipgate for some time now, I need a reliable service
    for Voip, I have been with sipgate for several months hoping that they might
    just get the service working reliably, but according to my callers, the
    failed calls are getting more and more common. It's apparently quite
    common now for them to have to try more than five times before they get a
    successful connection. Messages such as 'The call cannot be connected' and
    'Number unavailable tone' is commonplace these days most of the time. This
    IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I think sipgate should get their act together and start
    charging a fee if they have to, whatever it takes to make the service good.
    But for me, I would never trust the service again. I have been testing this
    morning and find that approximately one out of every three calls from my
    other line fail to connect. What use is that? I don't care what all the
    supporters are going to say, they obviosuly don't care about the poor
    service and are happy to accept they are missing some calls I guess.
    Perhaps they don't realise they are missing calls, or perhaps no-one hardly
    ever calls them, in which case they wouldn't know that the service is so
    poor! I suggest you start testing the service yourselves, and you`ll see how
    hit and miss it really is. Furthermore, the voicemail still keeps throwing
    up the German language prompts. This has been going on for ages and they
    obviously have no intention of sorting that out either!

    Anyone care to point me to a reliable voip service, I dont care what it
    costs me, I need reliability, not stacks of failed calls everyday.

    Terry
    Terry K, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Terry K

    Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:22:01 +0100, "Terry K"
    <> wrote:

    >After suffering with sipgate for some time now, I need a reliable service
    >for Voip, I have been with sipgate for several months hoping that they might
    >just get the service working reliably, but according to my callers, the
    >failed calls are getting more and more common. It's apparently quite
    >common now for them to have to try more than five times before they get a
    >successful connection. Messages such as 'The call cannot be connected' and
    >'Number unavailable tone' is commonplace these days most of the time. This
    >IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I think sipgate should get their act together and start
    >charging a fee if they have to, whatever it takes to make the service good.

    I could not agree with what you are saying here more I have given them
    yards and yards of rope over the passed months and now I think the
    time has come when they should hang themselves with it !!.
    >But for me, I would never trust the service again. I have been testing this
    >morning and find that approximately one out of every three calls from my
    >other line fail to connect. What use is that? I don't care what all the
    >supporters are going to say, they obviosuly don't care about the poor
    >service and are happy to accept they are missing some calls I guess.

    This is the only conclusion I can come to also .
    > Furthermore, the voicemail still keeps throwing
    >up the German language prompts. This has been going on for ages and they
    >obviously have no intention of sorting that out either!

    Not that voicemail from any provider really interests me one bit but
    the carry on with Sipgate really isn't on they should either sort it
    or take it out of service completely .
    The one thing above all else about Spigate that really annoys me is
    that the only way provided to contact them is by email .
    >Anyone care to point me to a reliable voip service, I dont care what it
    >costs me, I need reliability, not stacks of failed calls everyday.

    Give Voipfone a go Terry I don't think you will be disappointed and
    they are contactable by telephone on a 020 number I have not had one
    problem with them in the three months or more I have been with them.
    I am sorry Ivor but we all can't be wrong you continue to think that
    sun shines out of their arses and believe all the excuses for the poor
    service they provide if you want to but I have to say has with many
    people in this country you are very easily satisfied some of us aren't
    !!!!!!! .
    , Jul 5, 2005

  3. Terry K

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:17:48 +0100, wrote:

    >On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:22:01 +0100, "Terry K"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>After suffering with sipgate for some time now, I need a reliable service
    >>for Voip, I have been with sipgate for several months hoping that they might
    >>just get the service working reliably, but according to my callers, the
    >>failed calls are getting more and more common. It's apparently quite
    >>common now for them to have to try more than five times before they get a
    >>successful connection. Messages such as 'The call cannot be connected' and
    >>'Number unavailable tone' is commonplace these days most of the time. This
    >>IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I think sipgate should get their act together and start
    >>charging a fee if they have to, whatever it takes to make the service good.

    >I could not agree with what you are saying here more I have given them
    >yards and yards of rope over the passed months and now I think the
    >time has come when they should hang themselves with it !!.
    >>But for me, I would never trust the service again. I have been testing this
    >>morning and find that approximately one out of every three calls from my
    >>other line fail to connect. What use is that? I don't care what all the
    >>supporters are going to say, they obviosuly don't care about the poor
    >>service and are happy to accept they are missing some calls I guess.

    >This is the only conclusion I can come to also .
    >> Furthermore, the voicemail still keeps throwing
    >>up the German language prompts. This has been going on for ages and they
    >>obviously have no intention of sorting that out either!

    >Not that voicemail from any provider really interests me one bit but
    >the carry on with Sipgate really isn't on they should either sort it
    >or take it out of service completely .
    >The one thing above all else about Spigate that really annoys me is
    >that the only way provided to contact them is by email .
    >>Anyone care to point me to a reliable voip service, I dont care what it
    >>costs me, I need reliability, not stacks of failed calls everyday.

    >Give Voipfone a go Terry I don't think you will be disappointed and
    >they are contactable by telephone on a 020 number I have not had one
    >problem with them in the three months or more I have been with them.
    >I am sorry Ivor but we all can't be wrong you continue to think that
    >sun shines out of their arses and believe all the excuses for the poor
    >service they provide if you want to but I have to say has with many
    >people in this country you are very easily satisfied some of us aren't
    >!!!!!!! .

    We've been asked to be patient while Sipgate sort themselves out for
    too long, and many people have lost confidence in them altogether now.
    To use them for business would be the kiss of death for any company.
    Using them for personal use may be ok if you're not bothered about
    reliability. Ivor has often said he got involved with them mainly to
    get some experience of playing around with VoIP, and that's about all
    Sipgate seems to be good for at the moment.

    The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    becoming a successful operation in the UK

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Terry K

    Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:38:26 +0800, Chris Blunt
    <> wrote:

    >The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    >that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    >whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    >becoming a successful operation in the UK

    Well Chris I reckons if good old Mr Hitler was still in charge of
    Germany he would have either had Sipgate staff stud up against a wall
    and shot or slung in a concentration camp .
    , Jul 5, 2005
  5. Terry K

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    > that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    > whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    > becoming a successful operation in the UK

    Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
    but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
    minority.

    I don't propose to say any more, as I know I'm wasting my time.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Terry K

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes

    >"Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    >> that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    >> whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    >> becoming a successful operation in the UK

    >Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
    >but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
    >minority.

    Do you have figures to support that statement.

    As far as I can see YOU are the only one who supports Sipgate at the
    moment.

    DF
    David Floyd, Jul 5, 2005
  7. Terry K

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:48:04 +0100, wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:38:26 +0800, Chris Blunt
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    >>that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    >>whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    >>becoming a successful operation in the UK

    >Well Chris I reckons if good old Mr Hitler was still in charge of
    >Germany he would have either had Sipgate staff stud up against a wall
    >and shot or slung in a concentration camp .

    The thing I like about you Dexter is you've always got such moderate,
    balanced views on things ;-)

    And that poor Steve Mancour seemed such a nice chap.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Jul 5, 2005
  8. Terry K

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > In message of Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes
    >>
    >>"Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>> The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    >>> that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    >>> whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    >>> becoming a successful operation in the UK

    >>Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
    >>but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
    >>minority.
    >>

    > Do you have figures to support that statement.

    Unfortunately not that can be published here, no.

    > As far as I can see YOU are the only one who supports Sipgate at the
    > moment.

    I'm a minority in this group, same as everyone else ;-)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  9. Terry K

    Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:18:04 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
    >but they *will* get there.

    Oh yes in the fullness of time when VOIP has been superseded by
    something more efficient and involving less cost to the consumer .
    >The vociferous few in this group are a
    >minority.

    But what about the people who don't post to news groups Ivor .
    >I don't propose to say any more, as I know I'm wasting my time.

    You are while you persist in defending a company that has now proved
    itself totally unworthy of defending .
    , Jul 5, 2005
  10. Terry K

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The thing I like about you Dexter is you've always got such moderate,
    > balanced views on things ;-)

    I've always held that people are entitled to their opinions and that they
    should be free to express them, but the mention of Hitler and
    concentration camps in relation to such a small thing as the failings of a
    VoIP company have finally made me wash my hands of him.

    > And that poor Steve Mancour seemed such a nice chap.

    He is, and he's doing his best as I said, but continually having a go
    isn't going to help.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  11. Terry K

    Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:35:42 +0800, Chris Blunt
    <> wrote:

    >The thing I like about you Dexter is you've always got such moderate,
    >balanced views on things ;-)

    There comes a time when one has to call a spade a spade Chris
    >And that poor Steve Mancour seemed such a nice chap.

    Or is it that he just has the gift of the gab !! .
    , Jul 5, 2005
  12. Terry K

    Terry K Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:18:04 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
    >>but they *will* get there.

    > Oh yes in the fullness of time when VOIP has been superseded by
    > something more efficient and involving less cost to the consumer .
    >>The vociferous few in this group are a
    >>minority.

    > But what about the people who don't post to news groups Ivor .
    >>I don't propose to say any more, as I know I'm wasting my time.

    > You are while you persist in defending a company that has now proved
    > itself totally unworthy of defending .

    Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company? Does he work for them?
    I have just looked through the archive of posts in this newsgroup dating
    back many a while and he appears to be the ONLY one defending and supporting
    them? And for what, when they can't deliver the goods and you can't trust
    the service to work properly and reliably. Is he on their payrole or
    something?

    Terry
    Terry K, Jul 5, 2005
  13. Terry K

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Terry K" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company?

    Yes, but I have no intention of telling you what it is.

    Does he work for them?

    No.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  14. Terry K

    alex Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > In message of Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ivor Jones writes
    > >
    > >"Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >[snip]
    > >
    > >> The problem they now have is their reputation has become so tarnished
    > >> that they'll have a difficult time re-establishing their credibility
    > >> whatever they do. I don't have much confidence in Sipgate ever
    > >> becoming a successful operation in the UK

    > >Your opinion, to which you are of course entitled. You do have a point,
    > >but they *will* get there. The vociferous few in this group are a
    > >minority.
    > >

    > Do you have figures to support that statement.
    >
    > As far as I can see YOU are the only one who supports Sipgate at the
    > moment.
    >
    > DF

    And me! So we can make that two!

    I'm aware Ivor seems to view sipgate through rose tinted specs, but at the
    moment they seem to be doing fine for me. I only use it for a personal line-
    I'm in a shared house with no landline and bad mobile signal so use it for
    long calls when I don't want to sit on the edge of the bath in the loft
    conversion to get mobile reception, or at peak time when my mobile costs
    35p/min to call a landline. It does have some outages, however a majority of
    the time I'm contactable through my landline number and outgoing calls are
    good. Calling 50000 for voicemail is a bit dodgy, but the few messages that
    people leave me always get forwarded to my email account, in english ;)
    Considering the amount of money they've had off me (only a few quid) I am
    very happy in what I get in return. I have only ever experienced a few
    outages when people want to call me, and whenever error reports get posted
    here and I check mine it seems to be fine. Never had a complaint about
    callers not being able to get through. I never normally tinkle or 'test' my
    line much as there doesn't seem much point, but I just tried calling my
    number 5 times from my mobile and every time it rang. I have had complaints
    about my voice jittering, but thats because my ata has an appauling
    interpretation of QOS and doesnt seem to throttle (or more preferably
    strangle) the amount of bandwidth avaliable to other p2p hogs in my house
    down at all when I'm on the phone!

    In summary (at last!) I think sipgate do a good job considering the small
    omount of cash they get in, and I'm more than satisfied with their service.
    If I want a 99.99% reliable line, I'd actually spend £10 a month on a
    landline as VOIP is still to steady itself technologically. Its all there in
    theory, it all just needs a bit more in practise.

    Alex
    alex, Jul 5, 2005
  15. Terry K

    Don Carter Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:21:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Terry K" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company?

    >Yes, but I have no intention of telling you what it is.

    Why? What are you ashamed of?
    Don Carter, Jul 5, 2005
  16. Terry K

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Don Carter" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:21:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Terry K" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>> Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company?

    >>Yes, but I have no intention of telling you what it is.
    >>

    > Why? What are you ashamed of?

    Nothing. I'm still not going to tell you. Do you tell the whole world
    everything you do..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  17. Terry K

    Ian Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Terry K" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Does Ivor have a personal interest in the company?

    > Yes, but I have no intention of telling you what it is.

    Ivor.

    If as you say you have a personal interest and as such are connected to the
    company, You should be appending this fact in all your posts but you have
    not. You have to date been posting as a normal user, It now transpires this
    is not so. Many of us run companies, but do abide by the rules of this group
    and not advertise. It seems that you have in fact been adverising a company
    that you have an interest in and seem to be connected with for some while in
    this group.

    In future it would be advisable to explain your connection with sipate in
    your posts when advising posters that they should sign up with them as the
    posters would assume that you are a normal user which now seems not to be
    so.

    Ian
    Ian, Jul 5, 2005
  18. Terry K

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ian" <spam"AT wrote:

    [snip]

    > If as you say you have a personal interest and as such are
    > connected to the company, You should be appending this fact in all
    > your posts but you have not. You have to date been posting as a
    > normal user, It now transpires this is not so. Many of us run
    > companies, but do abide by the rules of this group and not
    > advertise. It seems that you have in fact been adverising a company
    > that you have an interest in and seem to be connected with for some
    > while in this group.

    I can assure you I have no business or financial connections with Sipgate
    so I am not advertising. I have a personal interest. There is a
    difference.

    > In future it would be advisable to explain your connection with
    > sipate in your posts when advising posters that they should sign up
    > with them as the posters would assume that you are a normal user
    > which now seems not to be so.

    I *am* a normal user. Believe me or not as you wish.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  19. Terry K

    Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:34:18 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    > I have a personal interest. There is a
    >difference.

    Having a" personal" interest could be taken that you have cash
    invested in Sipgate couldn't it Ivor .
    Ivor stop defending Sipgate you are only making a rod for your own
    back . Going back to the days of dial up internet and Demon internet
    first came into being and where making a right hash of it similar to
    what Sipgate is doing now regarding their VOIP offering none of their
    ardent supporters ever rose to defend Demon with the voracity and
    vigor that you are constantly defending Sipgate .
    , Jul 5, 2005
  20. Terry K

    Ian Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Ian" <spam"AT wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > If as you say you have a personal interest and as such are
    > > connected to the company, You should be appending this fact in all
    > > your posts but you have not. You have to date been posting as a
    > > normal user, It now transpires this is not so. Many of us run
    > > companies, but do abide by the rules of this group and not
    > > advertise. It seems that you have in fact been adverising a company
    > > that you have an interest in and seem to be connected with for some
    > > while in this group.

    > I can assure you I have no business or financial connections with Sipgate
    > so I am not advertising. I have a personal interest. There is a
    > difference.

    There is a gulf between having a personal interest in a company and
    being personally interested in a company.
    Have you the former or the later?

    > > In future it would be advisable to explain your connection with
    > > sipate in your posts when advising posters that they should sign up
    > > with them as the posters would assume that you are a normal user
    > > which now seems not to be so.

    > I *am* a normal user. Believe me or not as you wish.

    Then post a disclaimer to that affect, explaining that you are a satisfied
    customer and have no connection with the company.

    Ian
    Ian, Jul 5, 2005