    Anyone struck this before & found a workaround?
    --
    Te Crumpler

    Fortesque Crumpler, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Fortesque Crumpler <> wrote:
    : I was transferring JPEGs to SD cards for displaying on a Philips Digital
    : Photo Frame. The cards are 256MB and initially I loaded 60MB of files ,
    : leaving 190MB or so available, but when I attempt to transfer another
    : 80MB, it is rejected as 'not enough room'.

    : This is with a G4 iBook exporting the files from iPhoto or just copying
    : files from a folder.

    : I have noticed that when the Philips PF is in Thumbnail mode, there are
    : twice as many files as the number of photos, every second thumbnail
    : displayed as an 'X', suggesting there are a pile of invisible files
    : accompanying the photo JPEGs.

    : Anyone struck this before & found a workaround?

    I have not used this product but I may have a suggestion. Try using a card
    reader instead of using the frame as a reader. It may be that the frame is
    doing something strange. It may even be automatically making thumbs of
    everything you are sending to it, even the files that you have already
    made thumbs of. So if you use a seperate card reader and transfer only the
    images (and thumbs) you specifically want, this may solve your problem. Of
    course, not knowing the specs on this product you will have to explore if
    a externally filled SD card will be readable by your frame.

    If you have problems getting the frame to recognize the externally made
    card, you may want to try formatting the card in the frame and then moving
    the card to the seperate reader for file tramsfer (direct copy from your
    HD to the card). Some devices require some kind of identifier file from
    the device, but may be able to read externally loaded files as long as
    that ID is present.

    Let us know if any of this worked for you.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Fortesque Crumpler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Fortesque Crumpler wrote:
    > I was transferring JPEGs to SD cards for displaying on a Philips Digital
    > Photo Frame. The cards are 256MB and initially I loaded 60MB of files ,
    > leaving 190MB or so available, but when I attempt to transfer another
    > 80MB, it is rejected as 'not enough room'.
    >
    > This is with a G4 iBook exporting the files from iPhoto or just copying
    > files from a folder.
    >
    > I have noticed that when the Philips PF is in Thumbnail mode, there are
    > twice as many files as the number of photos, every second thumbnail
    > displayed as an 'X', suggesting there are a pile of invisible files
    > accompanying the photo JPEGs.
    >
    > Anyone struck this before & found a workaround?

    Were you using the card for storing other types of files before you
    began to use it for photos? Were they deleted? Does the OS show any
    files on the card other than the photos?

    Ron Hunter, Jun 11, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Were you using the card for storing other types of files before you
    > began to use it for photos? Were they deleted? Does the OS show any
    > files on the card other than the photos?

    No, it's a freshly formated card (by the camera)

    Only the two folders created by the camera. A peripheral oddity here is
    that the Philips instructions specify that the JPGs should be at the
    upper level of the card, but when images straight from the camera are
    viewed, the frame can see them even when they are two layers deep in the
    DCIM folder.

    --
    Te Crumpler

    Fortesque Crumpler, Jun 12, 2006
  5. In article <e6g936$5qj$>,
    Randy Berbaum <> wrote:

    > I have not used this product but I may have a suggestion. Try using a card
    > reader instead of using the frame as a reader. It may be that the frame is
    > doing something strange. It may even be automatically making thumbs of
    > everything you are sending to it, even the files that you have already
    > made thumbs of. So if you use a seperate card reader and transfer only the
    > images (and thumbs) you specifically want, this may solve your problem.

    According to the card reader (the normal way I move files to the card)
    there is 56.5MB of files and 186MB available. That is immediately
    following the transfer of the files from the computer.

    CURIOUS! I just attempted to copy a 160MB folder of documents to the
    card and it came over with no problems, leaving about 8MB available. But
    when I trashed it and emptied the Trash (192MB available) then attempted
    to copy a 60MB folder of 90 photos........It copied OK!!!! Now that is
    different, perhaps something to do with emptying the Trash.

    HOLD IT! We're not out of the woods yet. There is 123MB available, but
    when I tried to move the photos out of the folder onto the upper level
    of the card 25 moved then everything stopped...."not enough room". Even
    trying to move a single file brings a refusal. That's moving files
    within the same volume. WEIRD!

    > Let us know if any of this worked for you.

    Looks like some more work is necessary.....

    Hmm.... Just attempted to copy the above 90 photos (67MB) to a freshly
    formatted 512MB card, rejected, enough room for 84 images, but that's it!

    This has gotta be a MacOSX thing. Might try posting over at CSMSystem.

    Thanks for your time, guys.

    --
    Te Crumpler

    Fortesque Crumpler, Jun 12, 2006