    Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    up ??

    TIA
    jim, Jun 4, 2004

  2. jim

    D Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my firewall
    > and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before start
    > up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    > Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    > up ??

    Are you sure they are not?

    The icons in the system tray are just graphic user interfaces for the
    programs, my firewall (Kerio) loads before my broadband starts but the
    Systray icon is one of the last to show up.
    D, Jun 4, 2004

  3. jim

    jim Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:04:43 +0100, "D" <>
    wrote:

    >"jim" <> wrote in message
    >> I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my firewall
    >> and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before start
    >> up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    >> Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    >> up ??
    >>

    >Are you sure they are not?
    >
    >The icons in the system tray are just graphic user interfaces for the
    >programs, my firewall (Kerio) loads before my broadband starts but the
    >Systray icon is one of the last to show up.

    Thanks for info but how do you know that the firewall is loaded
    first ??
    jim, Jun 4, 2004
  4. jim

    D Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:04:43 +0100, "D" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"jim" <> wrote in message
    > >> I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my firewall
    > >> and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before start
    > >> up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    > >> Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    > >> up ??
    > >>

    > >Are you sure they are not?
    > >
    > >The icons in the system tray are just graphic user interfaces for the
    > >programs, my firewall (Kerio) loads before my broadband starts but the
    > >Systray icon is one of the last to show up.
    > >

    > Thanks for info but how do you know that the firewall is loaded
    > first ??

    If an unknown program tries to phone home or unknown incoming connection
    happens Kerio will inform me before I even logon.
    D, Jun 4, 2004
  5. jim

    jim Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:22:20 +0100, "D" <>
    wrote:

    >"jim" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:04:43 +0100, "D" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"jim" <> wrote in message
    >> >>
    >> >Are you sure they are not?
    >> >
    >> >The icons in the system tray are just graphic user interfaces for the
    >> >programs, my firewall (Kerio) loads before my broadband starts but the
    >> >Systray icon is one of the last to show up.
    >> >

    >> Thanks for info but how do you know that the firewall is loaded
    >> first ??

    >If an unknown program tries to phone home or unknown incoming connection
    >happens Kerio will inform me before I even logon.

    Thanks. Now I have to find out if ZoneAlarm does the same thing.
    jim, Jun 4, 2004
  6. jim

    Kyle Guest

    if there are services related (xp/2k/nt) then check the dependencies

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    : On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:22:20 +0100, "D" <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >"jim" <> wrote in message
    : >news:...
    : >> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:04:43 +0100, "D" <>
    : >> wrote:
    : >>
    : >> >
    : >> >"jim" <> wrote in message
    : >> >news:...
    : >> >> I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my
    firewall
    : >> >> and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before
    start
    : >> >> up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    : >> >> Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    : >> >> up ??
    : >> >>
    : >> >Are you sure they are not?
    : >> >
    Kyle, Jun 4, 2004
  7. jim

    °Mike° Guest

    Your internet connection does not load before
    your firewall or antivirus; both use services and
    virtual devices that load invisibly, BEFORE the
    GUI part that you see in the taskbar.

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:46:48 GMT, in
    <>
    jim scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 5, 2004
  8. jim

    Jim Berwick Guest

    jim <> wrote in news::

    > Thanks. Now I have to find out if ZoneAlarm does the same thing.

    Zone Alarm the program is the front end configuration portion of it. The
    True Vector service (that loads before you even log in) protects your
    computer.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 5, 2004
  9. jim

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my firewall
    > and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before start
    > up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    > Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    > up ??
    >
    > TIA

    You want to see how well a PFW that's not integrated with the O/S is not
    going to beat a malware program designed to get to the TCP/IP connection
    first at boot and beat the PFW solution, then install my favorite little
    test application Gator. You can install Active Ports (free) and put a
    short-cut in the Start-up folder and set the Refresh Rate to High. Active
    Ports will clearly show that a malware program can easily beat any PFW
    solution that's not an integrated system component at boot.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 5, 2004
  10. Howdy!

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:22:20 +0100, "D" <>
    > wrote:

    > >If an unknown program tries to phone home or unknown incoming connection
    > >happens Kerio will inform me before I even logon.
    > >

    > Thanks. Now I have to find out if ZoneAlarm does the same thing.

    It does. Check out how quickly TrueVector loads.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 6, 2004
  11. jim

    jim Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:46:48 GMT, jim <> wrote:

    >I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my firewall
    >and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before start
    >up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    >Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    > up ??
    >
    >TIA

    Thanks to everyone who replied. It was great to find out I was wrong
    as to timing of loading.
    Thanks again
    jim, Jun 6, 2004
  12. jim

    Duane Arnold Guest

    jim <> wrote in news:6036c0l7np8co78sjoui2opmpuv844tpcr@
    4ax.com:

    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:46:48 GMT, jim <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am not happy that my internet connection loads prior to my firewall
    >>and Norton AV. I can prevent this by unpluggong my modem before start
    >>up and connecting after but that is a pain,
    >>Does anyone know of a way (program?) for setting the order on start
    >> up ??
    >>
    >>TIA

    > Thanks to everyone who replied. It was great to find out I was wrong
    > as to timing of loading.
    > Thanks again

    Unless you did a registry hack (not recommended) and configured something
    like the TCP/IP Protocol Driver what services it was dependent upon
    before it could start *Dependencies*, I doubt seriously that a PFW
    solution service can get to the TCP/IP first and stop anything at boot.
    Third party PFW solutions are not integrated O/S components.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 6, 2004