    from master disks. Also the true fonts for this music program don't load.
    Any suggestion?

    Paul
    Paul Welch, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Paul Welch

    Butch Haynes Guest

    "Paul Welch" <> wrote in message
    news:GUB8h.14922$...
    >I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
    >laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
    >and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
    >cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
    >inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
    >insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
    >it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
    >done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
    >true fonts for this music program don't load.
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Paul

    Burn second floppy to a different CD and insert it?
    Butch Haynes, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Paul Welch

    beenthere Guest

    "Paul Welch" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
    >laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
    >and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
    >cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
    >inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
    >insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
    >it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
    >done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
    >true fonts for this music program don't load.
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Paul

    You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
    then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
    Then put them on your CD.
    beenthere, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Paul Welch

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:03:23 +0000, beenthere Has Frothed:

    > "Paul Welch" <> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
    >>laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
    >>and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
    >>cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
    >>inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
    >>insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
    >>it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
    >>done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
    >>true fonts for this music program don't load.
    >> Any suggestion?
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
    > then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
    > Then put them on your CD.

    If the setup.exe has an *.ini file that it uses, that could be editied to
    reflect an alternate path.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Paul Welch

    richard Guest

    "Paul Welch" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
    >laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
    >and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
    >cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
    >inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
    >insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
    >it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
    >done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
    >true fonts for this music program don't load.
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Paul

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=287

    try an external usb floppy drive
    richard, Nov 21, 2006
  6. Paul Welch

    Josh Graves Guest

    beenthere wrote:

    > You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
    > then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
    > Then put them on your CD.

    The two folder solution is the easiest and has worked well for me many
    times in the past.

    Be careful about the USB floppy drive solution, which was suggested by
    someone else. That might or might not work depending on whether or not
    the drive is supported by your system. Windows 98 is kind of
    persnickety about USB. USB floppy drives *are* very handy to have. If
    you are going to be using this laptop frequently I would recommend
    getting one, just make sure it is supported by your system.

    Josh Graves
    http://www.thegeeksite.com
    Josh Graves, Nov 21, 2006
  7. Paul Welch

    beenthere Guest

    "Josh Graves" <> wrote in message
    > beenthere wrote:
    >
    >> You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
    >> then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
    >> Then put them on your CD.

    > The two folder solution is the easiest and has worked well for me many
    > times in the past.
    >
    > Be careful about the USB floppy drive solution, which was suggested by
    > someone else. That might or might not work depending on whether or not
    > the drive is supported by your system. Windows 98 is kind of
    > persnickety about USB. USB floppy drives *are* very handy to have. If
    > you are going to be using this laptop frequently I would recommend
    > getting one, just make sure it is supported by your system.

    Thank you for telling me that Josh, but I already knew.
    You should have responded to the OP (Paul). <g>.
    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Nov 21, 2006
  8. Paul Welch

    Josh Graves Guest

    beenthere wrote:

    > Thank you for telling me that Josh, but I already knew.
    > You should have responded to the OP (Paul). <g>.
    > bw..OJ

    Hmmm... Seems to be I responded to the group and simply quoted your
    post in agreement.

    ~ Josh
    Josh Graves, Nov 21, 2006
  9. Paul Welch

    Plato Guest

    Paul Welch wrote:

    > I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
    > laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a
    > CD and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder
    > on the cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the
    > second cd to be inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there
    > is no place to insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the
    > first floppy to find it. Something does happen and it looks like it is
    > from master disks. Also the true fonts for this music program don't load.
    > Any suggestion?

    If you want to use floppy drive install then get a floppy drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 23, 2006
  10. Paul Welch

    ellis_jay Guest

    Josh Graves wrote:
    > beenthere wrote:
    >
    >> You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
    >> then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
    >> Then put them on your CD.

    > The two folder solution is the easiest and has worked well for me many
    > times in the past.
    >
    > Be careful about the USB floppy drive solution, which was suggested by
    > someone else.

    >That might or might not work depending on whether or
    > not the drive is supported by your system.

    Don't recall about 98, but withxp using f12 or f2-I don't remember now- you
    can add A: drive (floppy) in the setup and then an external floppy drive can
    be used usb style. That is what we did when we had to fix a boot.ini
    problem. recently

    > Windows 98 is kind of
    > persnickety about USB. USB floppy drives *are* very handy to have.
    > If you are going to be using this laptop frequently I would recommend
    > getting one, just make sure it is supported by your system.
    >
    > Josh Graves
    > http://www.thegeeksite.com

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales