    Martin
    ©¿©¬
    , Jan 16, 2012

  2. Guest

    Hi R. C.
    I have been following these directions

    'Using the Windows 7 64 bit disk, install the Windows 7 Windows Easy
    Transfer Utility from the DVD (To find it, just navigate to
    x:\support\migwiz, 'x:' represents the name of your disk drive. In
    this folder, you will see a collection of files, the important one you
    need to look for and double click is 'migsetup'.) , run it and create
    a WET file (Windows Easy Transfer file), if you have an external hard
    disk, you can have it stored there so you can access it later when you
    do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk.'

    I have looked on my DVD for WET but can't find it!!
    Would u know if I can download a WET type program?
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:06:22 -0600, "R. C. White" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, Martin.
    >
    >Going from Win7 Professional to Win7 Ultimate is easy. Going from 32-bit to
    >64-bit (or vice versa) is not as easy.
    >
    >If your computer hardware (CPU, especially) is 32-bit, then there is no way
    >to install any 64-bit Windows on it.
    >
    >If it is 64-bit hardware with 32-bit Windows installed on it, then you can
    >transition to 64-bit Windows - but it's not a simple "upgrade". You can't
    >just boot into 32-bit Windows, then insert the 64-bit DVD and run Setup.
    >You must BOOT from the 64-bit DVD so that the 64-bit infrastructure will be
    >in place to install 64-bit Win7.
    >
    >You can ADD 64-bit Windows to create a dual-boot system (a second license is
    >required), or you can do a "custom install" (a "clean install"), which will
    >delete 32-bit Windows and install 64-bit Windows in its place. A reformat
    >of the Windows volume is not strictly required, but is often recommended.
    >
    >WET (Windows Easy Transfer) is included on the DVD and it will make the job
    >easier - but not painless. It will help you preserve all your data and some
    >of your tweaks. But almost all your applications - even 32-bit apps - will
    >need to be re-installed so that their Setup programs can make the proper
    >entries in the Win7 x64 Registry; simply having their files on your disk
    >will not be enough. Some apps do not need to be "installed", of course; you
    >can run these from your new Windows by simply browsing to them and clicking,
    >as before. Run WET before the transition; it will "inventory" your apps and
    >other files and you can store the output on a device that will be available
    >later, such as an external HDD. After Win7 x64 is installed, run WET again
    >to retrieve all those files This won't reinstall your apps, but it will
    >make your job easier.
    >
    >IF all your data is on a separate disk or partition which will not be
    >reformatted, then you can simply point your re-installed apps to that data
    >again after the transition. You won't even need WET for this.
    >
    >RC
    >--
    >R. C. White, CPA
    >San Marcos, TX
    >
    >Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
    >Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513) in Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    >

    >wrote in message news:...
    >
    >Hi
    >anyone know if it Is possibe to load win7 Ultimate 64 bit on a
    >Professional 32 bit system without loosing anything ? If so how?
    >or would it be better to do a fresh install?
    >I hate having to re-install loads of software and there is always
    >something gets mised in the back up
    , Jan 17, 2012

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:14:05 -0600, "R. C. White" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, Martin.
    >
    >Since you already have 32-bit Windows installed, WET is already in your
    >computer. Just press Start, type "windows easy transfer", and press Enter.
    >Instructions will appear to guide you the rest of the way. ;<)

    Super info R C
    Did the WET tranfer to an external dard drive, now to save a few
    downloads & I'm ready to install 7
    I learn something new every day
    Thank you for persevering with my problem
    --
    Regards
    Martin

    >--
    >R. C. White, CPA
    >San Marcos, TX
    >
    >Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
    >Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513) in Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    >

    >wrote in message news:...
    >
    >Hi R. C.
    >I have been following these directions
    >
    >'Using the Windows 7 64 bit disk, install the Windows 7 Windows Easy
    >Transfer Utility from the DVD (To find it, just navigate to
    >x:\support\migwiz, 'x:' represents the name of your disk drive. In
    >this folder, you will see a collection of files, the important one you
    >need to look for and double click is 'migsetup'.) , run it and create
    >a WET file (Windows Easy Transfer file), if you have an external hard
    >disk, you can have it stored there so you can access it later when you
    >do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk.'
    >
    >I have looked on my DVD for WET but can't find it!!
    >Would u know if I can download a WET type program?
    , Jan 18, 2012