Load balancing firewalls?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Shade, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Shade

    Shade Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm setting up a dual-ISP setup at home (cable modem and ADSL) and am
    shopping around a dual-ISP-capable firewall box.

    Ideally, I'd like the box to be able to handle:

    1) DMZ (at least one zone) because I'll be hooking up a gaming server
    off of this router

    2) Static and Dynamic NAT

    3) Load balancing (combining and treating the two ISPs like a single,
    large data pipe both in and out) for those computers not in the DMZ
    (that computer is getting a static IP).

    4) Web-manageable (not Cisco PIX CLI)

    I'm thinking like the Firebox X500 + Fireware Pro or Sonic Wall TZ-170
    +SonicOS Upgrade maybe.

    I'm open to all ideas; the cheaper, the better.

    Thanks,
    Curtis

    Shade, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Shade bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    alt.computer.security:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm setting up a dual-ISP setup at home (cable modem and ADSL) and am
    > shopping around a dual-ISP-capable firewall box.
    >
    > Ideally, I'd like the box to be able to handle:
    >
    > 1) DMZ (at least one zone) because I'll be hooking up a gaming server
    > off of this router
    >
    > 2) Static and Dynamic NAT
    >
    > 3) Load balancing (combining and treating the two ISPs like a single,
    > large data pipe both in and out) for those computers not in the DMZ
    > (that computer is getting a static IP).
    >
    > 4) Web-manageable (not Cisco PIX CLI)
    >
    > I'm thinking like the Firebox X500 + Fireware Pro or Sonic Wall TZ-170
    > +SonicOS Upgrade maybe.
    >
    > I'm open to all ideas; the cheaper, the better.

    Linux. BSD

    Michael Thompson, Oct 28, 2005