    what is the use of LM HOST file ? Please reply me

    Thanks

    Anjan
    Anjan, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Anjan

    simon whale Guest

    The LMHOST file is used to store WINS (which mapps IP address to cmoputer
    name (netbios)) records on your local hard disk.

    assuming your using w2k pro, you can find it inthe following directory
    c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc.

    Simon

    simon whale, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Anjan

    Brian Guest

    "Anjan" <> wrote
    > Please reply me

    "Me"
    Brian, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Anjan

    Guest

    host names in ip adresses. when u donĀ“t use for example a
    DNS Server (or any other centralized name resolution
    system (wins)) u have the possibility to enter the records
    in the host (the host file is comming from unix world) or
    lmhost file, and copy this file for example with the logon
    script to every host, so every host is responsable for
    name resolution. furthermore you have also the possibility
    to load special names into the system cache at system
    startup so the name is always available and the system
    dont need do resolve the name after the ttl was running
    out.
    lg helli
    , Nov 17, 2003
  5. Anjan

    anonymous Guest

    LM Host File is Host Defenation for Downlevel Client (Pre
    Windows 2000 is NETBIOS Name Cache) where there is no WINS
    Server Located in the network. if the Computer looks for
    Wins Resolution, it send query to WINS Server, if not
    available it search from the LMHost file. LM Host files
    are text file that has defination about NetBIOS Name and
    IP address for one or more hosts, can be created using
    text editor

    anonymous, Nov 18, 2003