LLU effects begin to show

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10457345&ref=rss
    Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which includes
    one gigabyte of free broadband.

    In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has a new
    cut-price service.

    The deals, which knock up to $40 off the cost of broadband and phone
    packages, come as trials begin for local loop unbundling - the opening of
    Telecom's network to competitors - which is expected to increase
    competition and improve the quality and value of broadband internet.

    __EOP__
    My minimum term with iHug finishes this month, and we are looking to move
    (physically and intarweb provision) in the near future, so this compettive
    environment couldnt come at a better time.

    --
    "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
    degrees and try again..."

    Shane, Aug 12, 2007

  2. Shane

    thingy Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10457345&ref=rss
    > Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which includes
    > one gigabyte of free broadband.
    >
    > In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has a new
    > cut-price service.
    >
    > The deals, which knock up to $40 off the cost of broadband and phone
    > packages, come as trials begin for local loop unbundling - the opening of
    > Telecom's network to competitors - which is expected to increase
    > competition and improve the quality and value of broadband internet.
    >
    > __EOP__
    > My minimum term with iHug finishes this month, and we are looking to move
    > (physically and intarweb provision) in the near future, so this compettive
    > environment couldnt come at a better time.

    I wonder if it will be that good for NZ overall.....Telecom makes a
    profit....Vodafone and Clear....well not much if they are lucky....the
    competition where there is competition will be cut throat, will there be
    quality and depth of service? I wonder, I dont expect it.

    In the centers, yes it maybe that some competition results and pricse
    drop, for the rest of NZ it could actually get a lot worse. If no one
    wants to compete in the smaller centers, the incumbent might start to
    charge a lot more....

    It is not that I feel beholden to Telescum, quite the reverse but
    forcing a level playing field may not prove to have been that bad. Over
    the last 8+ years I have found Clear frustrating and dis-honest, so by
    moving away from Telescum I did gain a better service (cable) but their
    administration and sales people are just a bunch of *&^%&* and no better
    than telescum, (or Ihug for that matter)..."Just another Telco" as a
    friend of mine says...

    As an example, electricity prices dropped when the elec network was
    separated...and we paid less for a while, today? I am paying close to 3
    times what I used to....hmm in fact I suspect its actually over 3
    times...I forget standing charges....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Shane

    sam Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10457345&ref=rss
    >>
    >> Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which
    >> includes
    >> one gigabyte of free broadband.
    >>
    >> In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has
    >> a new
    >> cut-price service.
    >>
    >> The deals, which knock up to $40 off the cost of broadband and phone
    >> packages, come as trials begin for local loop unbundling - the opening of
    >> Telecom's network to competitors - which is expected to increase
    >> competition and improve the quality and value of broadband internet.
    >>
    >> __EOP__
    >> My minimum term with iHug finishes this month, and we are looking to move
    >> (physically and intarweb provision) in the near future, so this
    >> compettive
    >> environment couldnt come at a better time.
    >>

    > I wonder if it will be that good for NZ overall.....Telecom makes a
    > profit....Vodafone and Clear....well not much if they are lucky....the
    > competition where there is competition will be cut throat, will there be
    > quality and depth of service? I wonder, I dont expect it.
    >
    > In the centers, yes it maybe that some competition results and pricse
    > drop, for the rest of NZ it could actually get a lot worse. If no one
    > wants to compete in the smaller centers, the incumbent might start to
    > charge a lot more....

    There will always be regional operators that want to compete in smaller
    centers, and higher per capita demand for communication services to
    mitigate the isolation of regional customers.
    Regional wireless isps already partner with national isps, and there is
    really no difference servicing a wireless technology installation or a
    regional adsl installation in an exchange.
    A lot of rural adsl connections are supplied from Telecoms roadside
    cabinet mini DSLAMs now though and it seems unlikely that the isps will
    enter that market.

    > It is not that I feel beholden to Telescum, quite the reverse but
    > forcing a level playing field may not prove to have been that bad. Over
    > the last 8+ years I have found Clear frustrating and dis-honest, so by
    > moving away from Telescum I did gain a better service (cable) but their
    > administration and sales people are just a bunch of *&^%&* and no better
    > than telescum, (or Ihug for that matter)..."Just another Telco" as a
    > friend of mine says...
    >
    > As an example, electricity prices dropped when the elec network was
    > separated...and we paid less for a while, today? I am paying close to 3
    > times what I used to....hmm in fact I suspect its actually over 3
    > times...I forget standing charges....
    >
    > regards

    Sorry I just don't see the parallel between the introduction of a
    generator to reseller market structure to enable the market to manage
    energy supply and demand and the Telecom local loop being opened to
    access seekers to provide their own adsl connections.
    They have nothing in common

    sam, Aug 13, 2007
  4. On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:43:53 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > It is not that I feel beholden to Telescum, quite the reverse but forcing
    > a level playing field may not prove to have been that bad. Over the last
    > 8+ years I have found Clear frustrating and dis-honest, so by moving away
    > from Telescum I did gain a better service (cable) but their administration
    > and sales people are just a bunch of *&^%&* and no better than telescum,
    > (or Ihug for that matter)..."Just another Telco" as a friend of mine
    > says...

    [Grin]

    Telescum, Telstra Dear, and Ithug.

    For getting the opposite of what you paid for - Expense, unreliability,
    and inferior quality - pick any two. ;o)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Shane

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10457345&ref=rss
    > Yesterday, Vodafone started a new phone and internet service which
    > includes
    > one gigabyte of free broadband.
    >
    > In the first scrap of an expected broadband war, telco Orcon also has a
    > new
    > cut-price service.

    I'd be more interested in seeing the pricing on Naked DSL, that is due to
    launch in September. The high price bundles may suit the phone warriors, but
    others are just wanting a cut-price DSL service.

    Mickey Mouse, Aug 13, 2007