  1. I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

    What would be your recommendation?

    n o s p a m p l e a s e, Jan 25, 2010

  2. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:41:35 -0800 (PST), n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

    > I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    > me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.
    >
    > What would be your recommendation?

    Nasa space shuttle.

    richard, Jan 25, 2010

  3. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    John Holmes Guest

    Dan Birchall "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I don't have an answer right off the cuff

    Don't bother to reply and pollute this fine froup then.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jan 25, 2010
  4. On Jan 25, 10:53 pm, Dan Birchall <nob...@imaginary-
    host.danbirchall.com> wrote:
    > (n o s p a m p l e a s e) wrote:
    >
    > >  I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    > >  me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

    > >  What would be your recommendation?

    > I don't have an answer right off the cuff, but... do you want to do
    > other things with the computer as well as watching streaming media?
    > Games?  Office?  Handling your own music/photos/video?  And do you

    No games and no office. Just watching streaming media. Best experience
    sought.

    > plan to use the 40" as your primary display, or do you want to have a
    > regular screen for the computer, with the 40" as a secondary?

    40" TV as the only display.

    n o s p a m p l e a s e, Jan 25, 2010
  5. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    chuckcar Guest

    n o s p a m p l e a s e <> wrote in

    > I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    > me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.
    >
    > What would be your recommendation?

    Why do you want a computer to do what a DVD player will do just as good
    for far less?

    If you're talking about youtube, forget it, It's quality is far less than TV
    standards and on a 40" TV it will look like junk. 320x200 I believe. Likewise
    unless you *know* the resolution is over ~600x400 it will be true for that as well.

    Standard NTSC TV is 525x262 BTW.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 26, 2010
  6. On Jan 26, 4:07 am, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > n o s p a m p l e a s e <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    > > me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

    > > What would be your recommendation?

    > Why do you want a computer to do what a DVD player will do just as good
    > for far less?

    Well if you are an alien in a country where your language is not
    spoken, you will have to use your TV other way around.

    > If you're talking about youtube, forget it, It's quality is far less than TV
    > standards and on a 40" TV it will look like junk. 320x200 I believe. Likewise
    > unless you *know* the resolution is over ~600x400 it will be true for that as well.

    Good TVs today have 1920x1080.

    I need a high performance HTPC.

    n o s p a m p l e a s e, Jan 26, 2010
  7. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:07:35 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > If you're talking about youtube, forget it, It's quality

    It certainly isn't. Who told you that?

    --
    Algy met a bear
    The bear was bulgy

    Aardvark, Jan 26, 2010
  8. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Ozark Guest

    On Jan 25, 3:41 pm, n o s p a m p l e a s e <>
    wrote:
    > I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    > me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.
    >
    > What would be your recommendation?

    I am considering the Boxy Box when it comes available:
    http://dvice.com/archives/2009/12/boxee-box-looks.php

    I suppose if you are really determined to use a PC just about anything
    with a good video card with HDMI output should do the trick. I don't
    believe you need a super powerful computer. I use an HP with windows
    XP Media edition. FYI most online streaming stuff is low def and
    doesn't really look too good on my 32" TV.

    Ozark

    Ozark, Jan 27, 2010
  9. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Guest

    , Jan 27, 2010
  10. In article <>,
    n o s p a m p l e a s e <> wrote:
    >I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
    >me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

    I am getting good results using an Apple Mac Mini. Advantages:

    1. Compact size. Mini, in fact.

    2. Very quiet. A lot of mini peecees have loud fan noise.

    3. 1080P video output via DVI-->HDMI cable. Separate analog audio cables
    are required though.

    4. A (very basic) remote control is included.

    5. Solid Apple software.

    6. Interesting and free media player software is under development,
    including Boxee and Plex.

    The only possible down side of the Mini is that high bitrate 1080I or
    1080P bitstreams really push the little Mac to its limits. I don't have
    a lot of experience with this. Besides, My Mini is not the latest model
    so my experience isn't worth much.

    Do you have an iPhone or a iPod Touch? Logitech has free "Touch Mouse"
    software that turns your iPhone or iPod into a keyboard/mouse for your
    computer. This is great for living room use.
    --
    David Arnstein (00)
    {{ }}

    David Arnstein, Feb 22, 2010