Live pop concerts editing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by water rat, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. water rat

    water rat Guest

    It it normal to purchase a DVD to find that a track has been cut by the
    producers, either because it is not considered to be an inportant part
    of the "live concert," or to save time. I purchased such a DVD on eBay
    to find one of the tracks had been cut by 2 minutes and 45 seconds,
    cleverly cut so that no-one would realise, even though the DVD was
    advertised as a live recording and the track was advertised as part of
    the recording. I have made a complaint both to EMI and
    .

    EMI:Thank you for resending your information.

    The DVD ' Deep Purple / The Royal Albert Hall / Wednesday 24th
    September 1969' was produced from the original BBC filming of the
    concert for television - that is the only footage available.

    We as EMI have not edited anything from the original footage and can
    only assume that the BBC had to fit the concert into their schedule
    which would have had a strict timeframe. Any such cutting/fading would
    not class the overall project as highlights.

    We hope that this information clears this matter up for you and thank
    you for taking the time to write to us.

    Best wishes.

    :Apologies but we cannot see what we
    can do in relation to this query. If that was how the concert was taped
    then it would appear that there has been no berach of consumer law.

    Euroconsumer

    My answer

    Because as a consumer I read on an item what the contents are and I buy
    it on the grounds of what I read. In this case the contents have been
    falsely advertised, there is no mention in the table of contents of the
    fact that part of the track has been cut. Surely if it is a live
    concert, then it should be shown as it happened, or did the drummer
    unknowingly to the audience, take a short break in between the drumming
    sequence?

    water rat, Nov 12, 2006

  2. water rat

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-12, water rat <> wrote:
    > It it normal to purchase a DVD to find that a track has been cut by the
    > producers, either because it is not considered to be an inportant part
    > of the "live concert," or to save time. I purchased such a DVD on eBay
    > to find one of the tracks had been cut by 2 minutes and 45 seconds,
    > cleverly cut so that no-one would realise, even though the DVD was
    > advertised as a live recording and the track was advertised as part of
    > the recording. I have made a complaint both to EMI and
    > .

    snip

    I think it's probably quite normal for recordings made at 'Live events' to
    have been edited to make them fit the broadcast timing or the amount of
    room on the disc(s), or for some other reason.

    Unless the recording you bought was specifically described as 'a complete
    and un-edited record of the whole event' then I don't think you will get
    anywhere - and if it was so described, then your complaint is against
    whoever made the claim, which is unlikely to have been either the BBC or
    EMI, as they are far too canny to knowingly make false claims.

    A description or title that includes the phrase "Live at the Royal Albert
    Hall" does not mean or imply that it includes everything that happened, or
    a complete performance of anything in particular. (Just as "orange
    flavoured drink" doesn't necessarily contain anything that was once part
    of an orange, or of any other fruit; what is /not/ said, matters just as
    much as what /is/ said).

    I infer from your statement that part of a track has been 'cut' from this
    particular recording, that you have access to a recording of that track
    which has not been cut - or at least, not cut in the same way. I think
    that 37 years after the echoes died, that will probably have to suffice.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 12, 2006