    Thanks!

    Damian
    , Jan 30, 2006

  2. pengulin Guest

    About three years ago I checked into a company that did this. The company
    (and it's website) was called LiveAdvice.com. Seemed like an interesting
    concept at the time, but it didn't last too long. The thing I liked most
    about it was, if you decided to put yourself out there for people to call,
    no one was actually given your phone number. Only the company retained it.
    If someone wanted to call you for advice, it handled the call routing - and
    only at times advisors would authorize. This also provided a convenient way
    for the company to handle billing. They would take a percentage (or flat
    fee -- I don't remember which) off the top and pass the rest on to
    advisors. Alas there probably was not enough business to keep it alive.
    People don't expect to have to pay for tech support calls, especially if
    they've got "free" support from their computer manufacturer, ISP, and/or
    more commonly a willing friend. Not to mention, I'm fairly sure quality
    control was virtually non-existent.
    pengulin, Jan 30, 2006

  3. wrote:

    Apologies if this is old hat / an FAQ - I couldn't find it.

    >ISTR there was a live online tech support exchange - some digging
    >reveals it might have been supportfreaks.com, but I'm not sure.
    >Potential customers could scan reviews of various freelance support
    >techs, including references and skillsets; when they found a match,
    >they contacted the tech with their problem, and if the tech accepted,
    >they were put in touch and could sort the problem. The uber-techs with
    >the most rec's commanded the highest prices.
    >
    >Anyone know if any such sites still exist? As opposed to a service
    >company where you may not necessary choose the person who's going to
    >assist you?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >

    >Damian

    Really, if this is old hat / an FAQ - you couldn't find it?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Re: Re: Live online support exchange?

    pengulin wrote:

    About three years ago I checked into a company that did this. The company
    >(and it's website) was called LiveAdvice.com. Seemed like an interesting
    >concept at the time, but it didn't last too long. The thing I liked most
    >about it was, if you decided to put yourself out there for people to call,
    >no one was actually given your phone number. Only the company retained it.
    >If someone wanted to call you for advice, it handled the call routing - and
    >only at times advisors would authorize. This also provided a convenient way
    >for the company to handle billing. They would take a percentage (or flat

    Don't you think computers can help people?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Guest

    The company I saw was founded on the same principles as Ebay ratings...
    the user rated the tech afterwards, and the higher ratings each
    received, the higher price they could command. And as you say, all
    contact, rating, and payment was through the site, who earned their
    keep through a percentage. The format was similar to
    experts-exchange.com.

    It was fantastic; I can only assume it vanished for some higher
    commercial reasons. Supportfreaks.com mentions a holding company and a
    changed business model, which can sometimes get in the way of a good
    idea. I personally only choose via personal recommendations, or
    speaking directly to the guy supporting me, if possible. The idea of
    contacting a commercial support company and being assigned a first-line
    support tech whose idea of support may be a virus scan and a reboot...
    then a second-line tech... then a third-line tech - all of whom know
    less than me, at $69.95/hour, doesn't appeal!

    Damian
    , Jan 31, 2006
  6. Guest

    I did search and couldn't find it, but I normally lurk on groups for a
    few weeks before posting; thought I'd stick my neck out and ask
    straight out, this time round.

    Damian
    , Jan 31, 2006
  7. Mara Guest

    You're not referring to http://www.experts-exchange.com/, are you?

    --
    If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
    don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.
    Mara, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Mara Guest

    Mara <>, the doddering floater and
    XXX-rated non-operative transsexual who likes licentious carrot cuffing
    with Japanese macaques, and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with a
    stretched cookie, wrote in <>:

    /M/erry-legged and
    /A/flat
    /R/abid