    mjs Guest

    Can someone give me a direct link to the latest XP x64 compatible version of
    Live Messenger?

    mjs, Oct 22, 2007

  2. Greetings,

    8.1 should work fine:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d78f2ff1-79ea-4066-8ba0-ddbed94864fc

    If you're looking for 8.5 beta, you'll need the MSInstaller file directly, like from here:
    http://www.msgstuff.com/downloads/download/135/

    --
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Oct 22, 2007

  3. mjs

    mjs Guest

    But are these links to 64-bit proprietary versions, or the same versions
    that run on 32-bit XP and Vista?

    I am looking for a 64-bit version of Live Messenger.

    mjs, Oct 22, 2007
  4. mjs

    Jane C Guest

    Hi mjs,

    There is no native x64 version of Windows Live Messenger. The standard 32
    bit version runs fine on x64.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Oct 22, 2007
  5. mjs

    mjs Guest

    Well, the Beta link Jonathan provided won't even install the darn thing on
    x64. It hangs at the file decompression stage. Guess I'll try the 8.1 next.

    mjs, Oct 22, 2007
  6. mjs

    BENAGLIA Guest

    I'm running version 8.1 on both Xp 64 and Vista 64 and works just fine on
    both.

    AndyB

    BENAGLIA, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Hi,

    8.5 runs fine on my Windows Server 2008 x64 as well.

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Oct 23, 2007
  8. mjs

    Barb Bowman Guest

    It's too bad that the Live folks have such poor support for x64. I
    can't believe that they can't get a 64 bit unified installer or make
    the msi's officially available on the MS site.

    Beware of the "important" update for the Windows Live Photo Gallery
    beta on x64 as it breaks a few things that were running ok on the
    beta.

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:36:33 -0400, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >If you're looking for 8.5 beta, you'll need the MSInstaller file directly, like from here:
    >http://www.msgstuff.com/downloads/download/135/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 23, 2007
  9. mjs

    Ray Li Guest

    Runs good here too.

    Ray Li, Jul 25, 2008
  10. mjs

    Carl Jack Guest

    Carl Jack, Jan 10, 2009
  11. mjs

    Carl Jack Guest

    Mux it, I get a firewall error on window xp 64 bit

    WLM on my other computer (right next to this one) works, and they are both
    connected to the same router. What is the problem and solution?

    we were unable to sign you into WLM......

    Error Code 80048820
    extended error code: 80048412

    The only firewall is windows firewall and this installation is brand new,
    the only thing on it: firefox, sp2 xp64, video and audio drivers, and LAN

    Carl Jack, Jan 10, 2009
  12. mjs

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carl Jack:
    If you have a motherboard with a Nvidia chipset, install the Nvidia
    firewall then uninstall it to remove a hidden firewall.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Jan 10, 2009
  13. mjs

    Tritous Guest

    Thanks for that Jonathon. Personally I'm tired of being put into these
    unforgivable situations: A mandatory update when the installer claims it's
    not compatible with the OS and 8.1 is no longer accepted.

    I never saw why the upgrades had to be mandatory anyway, especially not when
    I've seen so many complaints about the interface change.

    I still cannot get it to run: After running the msi file you offered I
    STILL get the complaint that a new version is required, but messenger states
    it is running V2008 build 8.5.1288.826. I am running Xp64 with all the
    updates for that of course.

    Tritous, Aug 26, 2009
  14. Greetings,

    This is an old post from two years ago and obviously is no longer valid.

    See here on my blog for something new:
    http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!3406.entry

    --
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
    MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
    Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Aug 26, 2009
  15. mjs

    Tanya Guest

    Good Morning

    I tried both option one and two and keep getting an error message that will
    not let me log in...what can i do now...as this is something i need for work
    as it is a way the bosses communicate with me...

    Thank you

    Tanya, Aug 26, 2009
  16. mjs

    Zootal Guest

    I was able to get it working using the links from the page Jonathan posted
    below.

    One solution is to use Yahoo messenger - it will let you connect to MSN
    messenger accounts. Since Microsoft doesn't want us to use MSN messenger,
    I'm happy to oblige them and use someone else's product. Besides, I don't
    really like the Vista/Win7/Office7 interface styles anyhow - I prefer my
    menus across the top of the app like they have been for the past 20 years or
    so. Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing, and Yahoo
    hasn't *yet* gone down the newMicrosoft UI path.

    Trillian (trillian.cc) is another option. It lets you connect to all kinds
    of accounts, including msn, yahoo, myspace, twitter, etc. and you can login
    with multiple accounts. In the past they had some rather serious stability
    problems. I'm using the new version now in the hopes that they fixed some of
    the old bugs.

    I used to use Web Messenger - unfortunately, they discontinued it, and the
    web based live messenger they replaced it with is horrid. I loved
    WebMessenger, I used it all the time at work, I wish it was still available.

    Zootal, Aug 26, 2009
  17. > Greetings,

    > This is an old post from two years ago and obviously is no longer valid.
    >
    > See here on my blog for something new:
    > http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!3406.entry

    The first option worked for me. Thanks!

    Homer J. Simpson, Aug 27, 2009
  18. mjs

    Dapxin Guest

    On Aug 26, 11:54 pm, "Homer J. Simpson" <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > > Greetings,

    e here on my blog for something new:
    > >http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!3406.entry

    Thank you so much! This forced a reinstall of windows for me, but I am
    glad I found a fix.

    Dapxin, Aug 27, 2009
  19. mjs

    useanalog Guest

    get a Mac...

    you'd be surprised how many of these petty issues go away.

    useanalog, Nov 3, 2009
  20. Or get a PC, and donate the money you've saved to charity.

    Even if a small percentage of the minuscule Mac populace (what is it ... 3%?
    .... less that the no. of Win7 beta testers) does this, you'd be surprised
    how quickly world hunger goes away.

    Rajesh Shenoy, Nov 4, 2009