Live Linux on USB

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Mar 28, 2007.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Mar 28, 2007

  2. GraB

    rising Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
    >
    > Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
    > usable.
    >
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
    >

    > There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
    > Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174939
    >
    > I must get a USB key sometime soon.

    nimblex is another one.

    rising, Mar 29, 2007

  3. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
    >
    > Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
    > usable.
    >
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
    >

    > There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
    > Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174939
    >
    > I must get a USB key sometime soon.

    Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch 22.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 29, 2007
  4. GraB

    Chris Hope Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    >> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate
    >> header
    >>
    >> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
    >> usable.
    >>
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
    >>
    >> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
    >>

    >> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
    >> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174939
    >>
    >> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

    > Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch
    > 22.

    It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the USB
    stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in that
    instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.

    Chris Hope, Mar 29, 2007
  5. GraB

    Enkidu Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
    >
    > Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
    > usable.
    >
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html

    That's very nice, but I find it flakey, even on boxes that supposedly
    support booting from USB devices.

    > There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
    > Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174939

    I was going to say "Add Puppy to the list" but I'm not sure.

    > I must get a USB key sometime soon.

    You haven't got one? I've got a few of them round here. You can buy one
    with Linux already installed.

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Mar 29, 2007
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:00:48 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
    >>
    >> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
    >> usable.
    >>
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
    >>
    >> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
    >>

    >That's very nice, but I find it flakey, even on boxes that supposedly
    >support booting from USB devices.
    >>
    >> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
    >> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174939
    >>

    >I was going to say "Add Puppy to the list" but I'm not sure.
    > >
    >> I must get a USB key sometime soon.
    >>

    >You haven't got one? I've got a few of them round here. You can buy one
    >with Linux already installed.
    >
    >http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

    Yes, I know:

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/2007/node_3481

    This one, on a 4GB key, has 3D-accelerated desktop, for 89 Euros. It
    comes with supplementary CD image to boot even on legacy systems

    GraB, Mar 29, 2007
  7. GraB

    rising Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> GraB wrote:
    >>> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate
    >>> header
    >>>
    >>> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
    >>> usable.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
    >>>
    >>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
    >>>

    >>> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
    >>> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=174939
    >>>
    >>> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

    >> Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch
    >> 22.

    > It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the USB
    > stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in that
    > instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

    Yes that is possible and still offers advantages over cd only.

    rising, Mar 30, 2007
  8. rising wrote:
    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch
    >>> 22.

    >> It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the USB
    >> stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in that
    >> instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

    > Yes that is possible and still offers advantages over cd only.

    CDonsiderably since the USB access will be much faster

    Collector»NZ, Mar 30, 2007
  9. GraB

    Chris Hope Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > rising wrote:
    >> "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the
    >>> USB stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in
    >>> that instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.

    >> Yes that is possible and still offers advantages over cd only.
    >>

    > CDonsiderably since the USB access will be much faster

    And also you can write data back to the USB stick, which you can't do
    with a live CD.

    Chris Hope, Mar 31, 2007