    are DDR. Just wanted to see if any one has had this problem before i buy
    ram.
    TIA

    Brad, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Brad

    Wizard Guest

    This is the way boards act very often when they have the capacitor
    leaking problem. Look your board over very carefully for soup can shaped
    capacitors. They are about 1/2 inch tall and generally around the area
    of the CPU. Look at each one carefully for bulging or any leakage at the
    tops. If any have that then the board is a throw-away.

    Wizard, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Brad

    Thor Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > This is the way boards act very often when they have the capacitor
    > leaking problem. Look your board over very carefully for soup can shaped
    > capacitors. They are about 1/2 inch tall and generally around the area
    > of the CPU. Look at each one carefully for bulging or any leakage at the
    > tops. If any have that then the board is a throw-away.

    Unless you know someone with the skills to replace them, of course. :)

    Thor, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Brad

    Wizard Guest

    That would be true, however, regardless of your skill level the density
    of modern MoBo's makes that nearly impossible without causing peripheral
    damage from soldering heat.

    Wizard, Oct 27, 2003
  5. On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:55:41 GMT, Wizard <> wrote:

    >That would be true, however, regardless of your skill level the density
    >of modern MoBo's makes that nearly impossible without causing peripheral
    >damage from soldering heat.

    Nonsense. With the right skills and the proper equipment, this is not
    difficult at all, and the rest of the board will be fine. I used to
    replace smd IC's on multilayered camcorder PWB's all the time with
    little trouble, and that's a quantum leap more difficult than changing
    a few electrolytics.

    BB

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Brad

    Wizard Guest

    Well ain't just so cool ....

    Wizard, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Brad

    Thor Guest

    Nonsense. I've repaired several already. You simply need to have the proper
    soldering equipment and skills. I've yet to lift a trace, solder pad, or
    damage *any* peripheral components. In fact, in nearly every case, the
    capcitor solder points were well clear of any nearby senstive surface mount
    components. I've done a substantial amount of component level solder work in
    my time, and there is no danger if you have the skills and the right tools.

    Thor, Oct 27, 2003
  8. Brad

    Wizard Guest

    As have I and I still don't recommend it or do it on other people's
    boards. You are certainly welcome to.

    Wizard, Oct 27, 2003
  9. Brad

    Thor Guest

    what version of windows?

    Thor, Oct 27, 2003
  10. Brad

    Brad Guest

    98 se

    Brad, Oct 27, 2003
  11. Brad

    Thor Guest

    If you happen to have two RAM modules in that machine, try removing 1 at a
    time, and see if the behavior changes.

    Thor, Oct 27, 2003
  12. Brad

    Brad Guest

    nah only one

    Brad, Oct 29, 2003
  13. Brad

    Thor Guest

    Then try some memory test software like Memtest86 (free) or Qualitas Ramexam
    (not free, but damn good). Only rely on memory testing software that runs
    it's tests through DOS, not windows. Both of the above do. Put it on a
    bootable diskette, boot the computer to the floppy disk, and run the test
    from the command-line.

    Thor, Oct 29, 2003
  14. Brad

    Brad Guest

    thank for the info ill look at it when i have some time

    Brad, Oct 30, 2003