    across the proxies and have 128 host under the NLB?

    Thanks
    ~Ben

    Ben, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Ben

    Kevin Guest

    What book are you using? It is explained in the Sybex book.

    I think your confusion is because you are trying to relate them. They are
    not related. They are 2 different technologies for 2 different types of
    problems - albeit that the problems are similar. They are both high
    availability technologies.

    Clusters are for things like SQL server, Exchange, file server. Clusters
    you generally have to scale up

    NLBs are for things like HTTP, FTP. NLB you scale out.

    So in a web environment, you might have your web pages served by several
    http servers in a NLB configuration. On a network behind that you might
    have a SQL database in a cluster configuration.

    To make it more complex (and more scalable), you could add a component load
    balance (CLB) farm in between the http and sql.

    "Ben" <> wrote in message
    > The book I'm using does not seem to explain the relationship between

    NLBing
    > and Clusters. I know I can have up to 4 nodes in a cluster and I know

    there
    > can be up to 32 host on a NLB so it seems obvious to me that NLBing is not
    > restricted to a cluster. So how would one NLB across mutable clusters?

    Also

    Kevin, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I'm using the Global Knowledge Syngress Osborne book. Actually I have found
    this book to be full of errors. You might ask how I know there errors when
    I'm learning from it. Well one page says one thing and then another page
    tells it differently. I'm rather disappointed in this book.

    Your explanation does help some. Thank you.

    I'm going thought the included CD's examples and practice questions right
    now. I'll see how I do on the practice questions before deciding if I need
    to buy another book.

    ~Ben

    Ben, Nov 1, 2003