    intern in the other city.

    Is it possible to create this system?

    How?
    robert, May 24, 2009

  2. Have a look at pbxinaflash.com. Everything you want is easily doable.

    Henkie Penkie, May 24, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    robert <> wrote:
    >I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
    >a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
    >When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
    >the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
    >John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
    >communicate among each others within the same building or with the
    >intern in the other city.
    >
    >Is it possible to create this system?

    Yes.

    >How?

    Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
    (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

    If going down the home build route then look for asterisk and it's
    derivatives - eg. trixbox, pbxinaflash and others although I'm not sure
    how easy it might to be modify those to your need. Asterisk runs on a
    PC under Linux, and is itself hugely customisable - the free front-ends
    may not offer the flexability they need though, so best to check first.

    Things to consider - what (if any) PSTN connections do you have at each
    site? Asterisk can handle these easily with appropriate interface cards,
    and the anticipated number of concurrent calls between each site - this
    will be tied to the bandwidth avalable. A good quality ISP at each site
    is essentail too.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 24, 2009
  4. robert

    Robert Guest

    On May 24, 1:03 am, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > In article <..com>,

    CUT

    > >How?

    > Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
    > (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

    CUT

    > Gordon

    Hi Gordon,
    thanks for your help.

    Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?
    Robert, May 24, 2009
  5. In article <>,
    Robert <> wrote:
    >On May 24, 1:03 am, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >> In article

    ><>,
    >
    >CUT
    >>
    >> >How?

    >> Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
    >> (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

    >CUT
    >
    >> Gordon

    >Hi Gordon,
    >thanks for your help.
    >
    >Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

    Not really. Most software PBXs (Asterisk, 3CX, others?) all need a PC
    to run.

    You can get very low-power PCs though - my standard PC based PBX platform
    consumes 15 watts, (it's not a standard PC though, but a low-power
    "industrial" type, fanless and diskless, and I'm currently evaluating
    a new platform which only needs a meagre 5 watts when running flat-out!

    http://unicorn.drogon.net/stuff/power.jpg

    So if you know what you're doing on the PC side, there are power savings
    to be made.

    Desk phones are going to suck from 3 to 5 watts too, depending on model.

    Actually, there is a third option I didn't mention - use a virtual
    or hosted PBX system. Just have the phones in each site, all part of
    one big virtual VoIP based PBX. No (easy) way to interface to existing
    PSTN lines though, and your broadband connections really do need to be
    top-notch. Maybe less features than having your own PBXs in each location
    though, depending on who's virtual service you use.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 24, 2009
  6. robert

    Graham. Guest

    CUT

    > >How?

    > Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
    > (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

    CUT

    > Gordon

    Hi Gordon,
    thanks for your help.

    Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

    Don't think about it as a PC, think about it as you would any phone
    system.
    I ran an "Asterisk at Home" box for a year it just sat in the corner with
    no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected because all administration
    is done remotely via its web interface, and occasionally via an SSH
    client if one needs to get to its command-line console.
    In my case I did stop using it because I couldn't really justify the running
    cost, but I was only using it for fun, and a self-training aid.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 25, 2009
  7. robert

    Guest

    robert schreef:
    > I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
    > a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
    > When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
    > the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
    > John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
    > communicate among each others within the same building or with the
    > intern in the other city.
    >
    > Is it possible to create this system?
    >
    > How?

    Looks like a job for MySipSwitch ! :)

    For free, and easy to program via Ruby dialplan, (see the site's forum)

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , May 25, 2009
  8. robert

    Hongtian Guest

    On 24 May, 14:03, robert <> wrote:
    > I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
    > a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
    > When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
    > the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
    > John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
    > communicate among each others within the same building or with the
    > intern in the other city.
    >
    > Is it possible to create this system?
    >
    > How?

    In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
    suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

    I think it is very easy to establish a VOIP network with
    miniSipServer. And in its official website, there is a simple document
    to guide you how to setup IPPBX step by step.

    Please visit http://www.myvoipapp.com for details.

    Hope it can help you and good luck.
    Hongtian, May 26, 2009
  9. robert

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Hongtian wrote:
    > On 24 May, 14:03, robert <> wrote:
    >> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
    >> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
    >> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
    >> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
    >> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
    >> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
    >> intern in the other city.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to create this system?
    >>
    >> How?

    > In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
    > suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

    Windows based PBX? <shudder>

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers
    but I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX
    on a linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it
    will ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX

    [root@pbx ~]# uptime
    17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Desk Rabbit, May 26, 2009
  10. In article <gvh74q$mnt$>,
    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >Hongtian wrote:
    >> On 24 May, 14:03, robert <> wrote:
    >>> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
    >>> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
    >>> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
    >>> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
    >>> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
    >>> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
    >>> intern in the other city.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to create this system?
    >>>
    >>> How?

    >> In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
    >> suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

    >Windows based PBX? <shudder>

    I know. Strange but true.

    The 3CX people are really bashing the Linux prople too -

    http://www.3cx.com/news/softswitch-advantages.html

    worrying.

    >Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers
    >but I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX
    >on a linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it
    >will ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX

    You're lucky - I've experienced corp-ratism at it's worst. If it's not
    Microsoft, it's not going through the door..

    >[root@pbx ~]# uptime
    > 17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    Not a PBX, but:

    22:06:19 up 1315 days, 8:08, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    ;-)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 26, 2009
  11. robert

    Graham Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > Hongtian wrote:
    >> On 24 May, 14:03, robert <> wrote:
    >>> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
    >>> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
    >>> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
    >>> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
    >>> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
    >>> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
    >>> intern in the other city.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to create this system?
    >>>
    >>> How?

    >> In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
    >> suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

    > Windows based PBX? <shudder>
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers but
    > I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX on a
    > linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it will
    > ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX
    >
    > [root@pbx ~]# uptime
    > 17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

    I looked at hongtan posting history and he appears to be a Far Eastern
    Python developer responsible for the product he endorses.
    I suppose we should be thankful that his spam is targeted at threads where
    it just might be of interest, but I would suggest that his posts would be
    more welcome if he engaged us in a meaningful dialogue about VoIP
    rather than just score Google points.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, May 26, 2009
  12. robert

    AdeV Guest

    Gordon Henderson may or may not have intoned:
    > I'm currently evaluating
    > a new platform which only needs a meagre 5 watts when running flat-out!

    Would you be prepared to share that info? I currently run Asterisk on a
    whopping great bit rack-mounted server (300w x2 at a guess, I've not
    measured it), but I'd be well interested in a system with the poke to
    run * using just 5w. One thing, does it have the capability to drive
    interface cards? I'm using a TDM400 clone...

    --
    Cheers!
    Ade.
    AdeV, Jan 5, 2010
  13. In article <>,
    AdeV <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson may or may not have intoned:
    >> I'm currently evaluating
    >> a new platform which only needs a meagre 5 watts when running flat-out!

    >Would you be prepared to share that info? I currently run Asterisk on a
    >whopping great bit rack-mounted server (300w x2 at a guess, I've not
    >measured it), but I'd be well interested in a system with the poke to
    >run * using just 5w. One thing, does it have the capability to drive
    >interface cards? I'm using a TDM400 clone...

    Hm - I posted that back in May last year :)

    The platform is an AMD Geode system board. No video, so it needs some
    kernel tweaking to make it run, but it's out there and running well and
    I've shipped several dozen of them so-far.

    If you search for ALIX 2D2, you'll find the motherboard without too
    much problems.

    My systems look like:

    http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie.jpg

    As you can see, no PCI slots. However there are mini PCI slots and there
    are TDM400 type interface boards avalable for it - the down-side is that
    there isn't a case for them - well, almost - there is this:

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-ix100-p-995.html

    but frankly they're a PITA to build, and I'm not happy enough with them
    to build any more.

    You'll probably be better off with a 1GHz VIA system - these run to
    about 15 watts - and I've installed many such systems too.

    The big down-side to these small systems is their inability to handle
    many transcodes - e.g. using GSM or G729 to save bandwidth, or to
    record/playback voicemail.

    There are also some Geode boards with a PCI slot - you need to start
    looking at the MiniITX range of boards - e.g.

    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12291

    That'll drive a TDM400 type board with OSLEC, however I've no idea
    about their current consumption - the video chips on most boards is
    the biggest current sucker. Plenty of case options for these though,
    from desktop to 1U rackmount.

    Another option might be and intel Atom board - and I've been using
    these too, although they run a bit more than the VIA boards - and again,
    it's the graphics chipset that sucks the most juice.

    Good luck!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jan 5, 2010