Little Help Please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Richard Hawley, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Not sure which group I should post this to but if anyone that could help me,
    I'd be grateful.

    I've been Pro-Am for about 10 years and have recently moved into digital as
    an expansion.

    I have some good pictures that I would like to sell if they will. On
    contacting Photographers Direct I have been told that the size of my
    pictures will not sell. My pictures are 1280 by 960 pixels, but PD say only
    pictures at least 2000 by 6000 will sell. This was very much done on pixels
    and file size only without even knowing what the pictures were of.

    The pictures look fine on my PC (I use a Fujifilm 602 S2 pro) and I can't
    see what the problem is. I find it strange that a companie can judge
    whetehr a picture will sell based only on how big it is instead of looking
    at the image itself. That seems (To a photographer such as myself) strange.
    Rather like saying "I'm not concerned if the picture is a royal portrait, I
    can't sell 4 by 6 inch photos, I can only sell poster size".

    Can someone give me some proper background of the reason for the large file
    size and any other hints on selling pictures online. I have heard that one
    or two companies are buying up all the smaller libraries.

    Thanks
    Richard
    Richard Hawley, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Richard Hawley

    Linda_N Guest

    "Richard Hawley" <> wrote in message
    > Not sure which group I should post this to but if anyone that could help

    me,
    > I'd be grateful.
    >
    > I've been Pro-Am for about 10 years and have recently moved into digital

    as
    > an expansion.
    >
    > I have some good pictures that I would like to sell if they will. On
    > contacting Photographers Direct I have been told that the size of my
    > pictures will not sell. My pictures are 1280 by 960 pixels, but PD say

    only
    > pictures at least 2000 by 6000 will sell. This was very much done on

    pixels
    > and file size only without even knowing what the pictures were of.
    >
    > The pictures look fine on my PC (I use a Fujifilm 602 S2 pro) and I can't
    > see what the problem is. I find it strange that a companie can judge
    > whetehr a picture will sell based only on how big it is instead of looking
    > at the image itself. That seems (To a photographer such as myself)

    strange.
    > Rather like saying "I'm not concerned if the picture is a royal portrait,

    > can't sell 4 by 6 inch photos, I can only sell poster size".
    >
    > Can someone give me some proper background of the reason for the large

    file
    > size and any other hints on selling pictures online. I have heard that

    one
    > or two companies are buying up all the smaller libraries.

    Ask other resellers as well to get second, third, forth opinion etc... If
    all the photography resellers say the same thing, or strongly suggest that
    poster sells much better than what you have for sale you might consider
    upgrading your equipment to achive what consumers want. Whatever the case
    getting more opinions from those who resell will let you know if you are
    heading in the right direction or not. There is not sense of trying to force
    something that is not popular in such a competitive market (everyone and
    their dog now considers themselves a professional just because they have a
    dSLR, or prosumer type digital camera.)

    One thing that does work well (although you still will have to determine the
    sizes consumers most order) is setting yourself up on e-bay as a seller. I
    have a friend who has closed his photography business (as in going out to
    weddings, having people into his studio for portraits etc...) because he is
    making 10x the amount with less trouble (travel, time scheduling etc..)
    selling his photographs on ebay. He does do poster sized though, none are
    smaller. It is worth taking a look into. If you are good you will do well.

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Richard Hawley

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Richard,

    I am sure your images are awesome.

    I also suspect that the reason you were told that they were too small in
    size for resale is related to what is required for media production
    (printing, reproduction, and the like). For a magazine, printer, etc., to
    use an image they need to have a certaing reproducable quality. In the
    digital world it would mean file size does make a difference. You can liken
    the quality of an image to film and the size of the negative. Lets say you
    had an image that was 35mm in size. The image is terrific, but when used
    for specific applications it may not be enough to make a large print for
    example. Rather, they may want to use nothing but 4x5 size images.

    In the digital world, even though the images may be excellent, which I am
    sure they are, at the resolution you noted, i.e. 1280 x 960, they may not be
    large enough to make the images the clients may need.

    Nothing wrong with the image, just the size. There is a big difference
    between what is on screen and what can be done with the file when printed.

    Good luck, and hope to see you around the newsgroup.

    Ron Baird

    Ron Baird, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Re: Little Help Please - Big Thanks

    Linda and Ron

    Thanks for clearing things up a bit better for me. Looks like Digital is
    one of those things I'm going to have to learn from the start again!

    Good points and all taken on board.

    Thanks again
    Richard

    Richard Hawley, Apr 12, 2004