Litte help with configuring DNS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have a little PC I have been developing as a study guide in aspects of
    "how things work on a webserver".
    I have Apache 2.2.4, Posadis DNS server, PHP5.x, MySQL5.x on Windows XP Pro
    SP2 (hate IIS)

    The 1st TLD Domain Name is working just fine.
    I added a Second TLD domain name and it worked fine until a couple of days
    ago - then it stopped working. But, I can still access the first Domian
    name.

    I've check my VirtualHosts file in Apache, it's configured correctly. I get
    an error stating that:
    a.. The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    a.. The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    domain.

    How do I add the DNS records for the 2nd Domain name as a Hosted Domain
    name? Do I add it to the Primary Master file (server.prm)?

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:52:48 -0500, Dave wrote:

    How do you clearly state your problem.

    >I have a little PC I have been developing as a study guide in aspects of
    >"how things work on a webserver".
    >I have Apache 2.2.4, Posadis DNS server, PHP5.x, MySQL5.x on Windows XP Pro

    ISC BIND is a good DNS.

    >SP2 (hate IIS)
    >
    >The 1st TLD Domain Name is working just fine.
    >I added a Second TLD domain name and it worked fine until a couple of days

    You didn't say added to where.

    >ago - then it stopped working. But, I can still access the first Domian

    Access how.

    >name.

    Log files for the DNS server.

    >I've check my VirtualHosts file in Apache, it's configured correctly. I get
    >an error stating that:

    An error from what, assuming Apache logs here.

    >a.. The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.

    How is it not reachable?

    If you can't ping the DNS server by IP or name, fix that first, it's
    more important then a failure to resolve a name query.

    >a.. The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    >domain.

    Well since you added the entry is it still there?

    >How do I add the DNS records for the 2nd Domain name as a Hosted Domain
    >name? Do I add it to the Primary Master file (server.prm)?

    You already did that, unless you didn't and thought you had and are now
    getting in too deep and are not thinking about the simple problem and
    trying to solve too much.

    >Dave

    http://posadis.sourceforge.net/posadis
    For documentation on the 0.60.* series, see Documentation. For
    documentation on the new 0.70.* series, see the index.

    You will most likely solve your problem yourself if you sort out what
    application is telling you which status message and how you can't
    contact the DNS to resolve a name.

    Me

    why?, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Simply put: how do I add a second TLD Domain Name to DNS records using
    Posadis DNS Server?

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:57:16 -0500, Dave wrote:

    >Simply put: how do I add a second TLD Domain Name to DNS records using
    >Posadis DNS Server?

    So you haven't done this although you said it worked before?

    Like any DNS you need to create a zone, add a list of RRs and an SOA.
    For the specifics on doing this in Posadis you will need to read the
    documentation. Most likely there is a mailing list and forum as well.

    http://posadis.sourceforge.net/posadis

    If you already did this, did you edit your zone file and not restart the
    DNS. Maybe you made another edit and made a typo.

    Do the files you created / edited before still exist, check that.

    >Dave

    >> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:52:48 -0500, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> How do you clearly state your problem.
    >>
    >>>I have a little PC I have been developing as a study guide in aspects of
    >>>"how things work on a webserver".
    >>>I have Apache 2.2.4, Posadis DNS server, PHP5.x, MySQL5.x on Windows XP
    >>>Pro

    >> ISC BIND is a good DNS.
    >>
    >>>SP2 (hate IIS)
    >>>
    >>>The 1st TLD Domain Name is working just fine.
    >>>I added a Second TLD domain name and it worked fine until a couple of days

    >> You didn't say added to where.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 6, 2007