    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary
    mode of being and only total victory is acceptable.
    -- Sun Tzu, "The Art Of War"

    Bob, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Bob

    Bill G Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:20:03 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >http://tinyurl.com/aeo7f/
    >
    >What is this device?
    >
    >What is DVB-T?

    (What's with the crossposting?)

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    DVB-T stands for Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial and it is
    the DVB European consortium standard for the broadcast transmission of
    digital terrestrial television. This system transmits an MPEG-2 family
    digital audio/video stream, using OFDM modulation with concatenated
    channel coding.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

    --
    Bill

    Bill G, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:58:59 GMT, Bill G <>
    wrote:

    >>http://tinyurl.com/aeo7f/

    >>What is this device?

    >>What is DVB-T?

    >(What's with the crossposting?)

    Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual

    Bob, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Bob

    Bill G Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:00:11 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:58:59 GMT, Bill G <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/aeo7f/

    >>>What is this device?

    >>>What is DVB-T?

    >>(What's with the crossposting?)

    >Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    In that case, why stop at 5 groups? You've been around long enough to
    know better. :)

    --
    Bill

    Bill G, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Bob

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:35:00 GMT, Bill G <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:00:11 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >>>(What's with the crossposting?)

    >>Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    >In that case, why stop at 5 groups? You've been around long enough to
    >know better. :)

    What is your problem with that? The alternative, to find enough
    knowledgeable people to answer, would be to post individual messages
    in the separate groups. By crossposting to multiple relevant groups
    way we all get to see the answers, if someone from another groups has
    it.

    GraB, Dec 8, 2005
  6. Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Bob wrote :
    >On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:58:59 GMT, Bill G <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/aeo7f/

    >>>What is this device?

    >>>What is DVB-T?

    >>(What's with the crossposting?)

    >Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    Why not uk.media.dvd too, then?
    --
    Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett

    Paul Hyett, Dec 8, 2005
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:36:33 +0000, Paul Hyett
    <> wrote:

    >Why not uk.media.dvd too, then?

    The US market is different from the British market.

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:08:50 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >>>Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    >>In that case, why stop at 5 groups? You've been around long enough to
    >>know better. :)

    >What is your problem with that? The alternative, to find enough
    >knowledgeable people to answer, would be to post individual messages
    >in the separate groups. By crossposting to multiple relevant groups
    >way we all get to see the answers, if someone from another groups has
    >it.

    Exactly.

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    wrote:

    >>Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    >In that case, why stop at 5 groups?

    Because I decided that these were the only relevant groups. If I
    thought there were more, then I would have included them.

    >You've been around long enough to know better. :)

    Better than what? There is nothing wrong with crossposting as long as
    the groups are all relevant.

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  10. Bob

    kony Guest

    <> wrote:

    >>In that case, why stop at 5 groups? You've been around long enough to
    >>know better. :)

    >What is your problem with that? The alternative, to find enough
    >knowledgeable people to answer, would be to post individual messages
    >in the separate groups.

    Nope, the alternative is to post in one or two of the most
    on-topic, relevant groups... particularly when the topic
    isn't very specialized or obscure.

    >By crossposting to multiple relevant groups
    >way we all get to see the answers, if someone from another groups has
    >it.

    Exactly, but "all get to see" is not a positive thing.
    It's an incredible amount of noise degrading the function of
    any and all groups, a waste of bandwidth and strain on news
    servers as well.

    If you want to see information on a given topic, frequent
    that specific newsgroup. It meets all goals better than
    having tons of loosely related posts redundantly flooding
    everywhere.

    Many of the more experienced posters will not answer
    messages cross-posted to too many groups, it can actually
    decrease the quality of responses and you'll get people with
    limited knowledge on the topic "volunteering" information
    with those who know more, not reading it at all.

    In short, there's a reason why there are some many separate
    groups, exactly and specifically to keep posts isolated to
    appropriate topics and cut down on traffic.

    kony, Dec 8, 2005
  11. Bob

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:37:22 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:35:00 GMT, Bill G <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>Why not? It's the way to get the largest discussion going.

    >>In that case, why stop at 5 groups?

    >Because I decided that these were the only relevant groups. If I
    >thought there were more, then I would have included them.
    >
    >>You've been around long enough to know better. :)

    >Better than what? There is nothing wrong with crossposting as long as
    >the groups are all relevant.

    yes there is

    You want the luxury of doing something that will cause
    problems if everyone did it. The vast majority of people
    who read your post would not have spent the time sifting
    through the group till they got to it if all the (other)
    posts were put in every related group. There would be
    thousands of posts per group per day and few if any
    participants are willing to spend that much time wading
    through it all.

    kony, Dec 8, 2005
  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:44:57 GMT, kony <> wrote:

    >>Better than what? There is nothing wrong with crossposting as long as
    >>the groups are all relevant.

    >yes there is

    >You want the luxury of doing something that will cause
    >problems if everyone did it.

    Then be thankful everyone does not do it.

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:42:12 GMT, kony <> wrote:

    >Nope, the alternative is to post in one or two of the most
    >on-topic, relevant groups... particularly when the topic
    >isn't very specialized or obscure.

    That's precisely when you need to post it to as many groups as
    possible within the limits of relevancy.

    If I have a hard drive problem, I am not going to post it to DVD
    forums. But if I have a question that relates both to hardware in
    general and DVDs in particular, I will post it to both the hardware
    and DVD groups, especially when it is obscure.

    The purpose of Usenet is to share as much information as possible
    within the confines of relevancy. If that involves crossposting now
    and then, then so be it. If you do not want to participate in a topic,
    then don't open the posts.

    What you want is for everyone to post only those things that interest
    you, so you do not have to root thru all the posts that do not
    interest you. May I recommend you start your own forum, call it
    <alt.comp.hardware.kony>. Then you won't have to put up with the
    inconvience of other people posting things that interest them and not
    you.

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  14. Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Bob wrote :
    >On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:36:33 +0000, Paul Hyett
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Why not uk.media.dvd too, then?

    >The US market is different from the British market.

    But the thread title refers to the Lite On unit, which you know is
    available in Britain, as I have one.
    --
    Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett

    Paul Hyett, Dec 8, 2005
  15. Bob

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:44:57 GMT, kony <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:37:22 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >>>In that case, why stop at 5 groups?

    >>Because I decided that these were the only relevant groups. If I
    >>thought there were more, then I would have included them.
    >>
    >>>You've been around long enough to know better. :)

    >>Better than what? There is nothing wrong with crossposting as long as
    >>the groups are all relevant.

    >yes there is
    >
    >You want the luxury of doing something that will cause
    >problems if everyone did it. The vast majority of people
    >who read your post would not have spent the time sifting
    >through the group till they got to it if all the (other)
    >posts were put in every related group. There would be
    >thousands of posts per group per day and few if any
    >participants are willing to spend that much time wading
    >through it all.

    I think your pants are on fire. Not many posts are of the nature that
    require crossposting so your scenario doesn't occur. Crossposting
    doesn't cause me any prolblems so what's your problem?

    GraB, Dec 8, 2005
  16. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:20:49 +0000, Paul Hyett
    <> wrote:

    >>>Why not uk.media.dvd too, then?

    >>The US market is different from the British market.

    >But the thread title refers to the Lite On unit, which you know is
    >available in Britain, as I have one.

    I thought you were asking why I do not subscribe to that forum. The
    reason I do not subscribe to that forum is because the US market is
    different from the British market. However, in this instance there may
    have been some relevance, but since I do not subscribe to that forum,
    I did not post to it.

    --

    to read things upside down.
    because it forces the reader

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  17. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 07:39:50 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:44:57 GMT, kony <> wrote:

    >>You want the luxury of doing something that will cause
    >>problems if everyone did it. The vast majority of people
    >>who read your post would not have spent the time sifting
    >>through the group till they got to it if all the (other)
    >>posts were put in every related group. There would be
    >>thousands of posts per group per day and few if any
    >>participants are willing to spend that much time wading
    >>through it all.

    >I think your pants are on fire. Not many posts are of the nature that
    >require crossposting so your scenario doesn't occur. Crossposting
    >doesn't cause me any prolblems so what's your problem?

    Ms. Kony posts here so often she imagines that this is her forum. So
    she fusses like a wet hen when someone transgresses according to her
    rules.

    Either that or she is having a bad hair day.

    Bob, Dec 8, 2005
  18. Bob

    kony Guest

    <> wrote:

    >>You want the luxury of doing something that will cause
    >>problems if everyone did it. The vast majority of people
    >>who read your post would not have spent the time sifting
    >>through the group till they got to it if all the (other)
    >>posts were put in every related group. There would be
    >>thousands of posts per group per day and few if any
    >>participants are willing to spend that much time wading
    >>through it all.

    >I think your pants are on fire. Not many posts are of the nature that
    >require crossposting so your scenario doesn't occur.

    Quite true, nor was his.
    Recall this was a post about a USB tuner to DVD groups.

    >Crossposting
    >doesn't cause me any prolblems so what's your problem?

    I don't recall asking if it caused you any problems.

    It's a bit amazing that some don't grasp the basic
    fundamental structure of usenet. There's a reason there are
    different groups. Bob made a suggestion like "start your
    own group if you dont' want this traffic". Well, THAT is
    exactly what these groups did do, but there's bob, posting
    to them anyway!

    kony, Dec 8, 2005
  19. Bob

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:15:46 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >Ms. Kony posts here so often she imagines that this is her forum. So
    >she fusses like a wet hen when someone transgresses according to her
    >rules.
    >
    >Either that or she is having a bad hair day.

    Little did I know when I made the earlier remark about
    trolls...

    I encourage you to do some searchs on those DVD forums and
    find out just what percentage of posts are about USB TV
    tuners. Then tell us if it was appropriate.

    It really wasn't a big issue but you went on whining about
    it like you dont know how to use usenet at all.

    kony, Dec 8, 2005
  20. Bob

    Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:20:03 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >http://tinyurl.com/aeo7f/
    >
    >What is this device?
    >
    >What is DVB-T?

    DVB is the TERRESTIAL hence DVB-T of the DVB-S for satellite.

    DVB-T is used in Europe for digital TV broadcast. The closest in the US is the
    Dish Network which uses DVB-S

    This gives a good basic outline of DVB-T

    http://tinyurl.com/cpuuc

    ----
    Support your LOCAL scanner frequency site and groups!
    http://www.wpascanner.com http://www.tampascanner.info

    , Dec 9, 2005