    tried burning straight wave files to a DVD +R
    and played them back successfully. I am trying to
    avoid any compression techniques to store my music.
    gp, Dec 29, 2003

  2. gp

    Will Dormann Guest

    gp wrote:

    > Have any of the present owners of the LiteON LVD-2002
    > tried burning straight wave files to a DVD +R
    > and played them back successfully. I am trying to
    > avoid any compression techniques to store my music.

    Why would it not work? DVD+R can be used just like a large recordable CD.

    You may also want to consider FLAC or Shorten if you want to store your
    music in a lossless format, but more efficient (smaller) than WAV.

    -WD
    Will Dormann, Dec 29, 2003

  3. gp

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On 29 Dec 2003 12:17:47 -0800, (gp) wrote:

    >Have any of the present owners of the LiteON LVD-2002
    >tried burning straight wave files to a DVD +R
    >and played them back successfully. I am trying to
    >avoid any compression techniques to store my music.

    Did you realize you can burn them into a DVD-Video that uses uncompressed
    LPCM audio and therefore avoid any compression?

    <http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/193049.php>

    Doing it this way will allow the DVD-Video to play on essentially any
    player that supports recordable DVDs, not just one that play unauthored
    files.

    The downside to this method is extracting the burnt audio from this
    DVD-Video back to individual WAV files is a little more difficult than if
    they'd play WAV files directly.
    Nomen Nescio, Dec 29, 2003
  4. gp

    gp Guest

    The DVD-Video technique does present an interesting technique.
    Your downside is why I am still trying to maintain the file as
    a wave. The pure horse power of the LiteON LVD-2002 suggest this
    would be the perfect machine to do this. I think the problem lies
    in the liscensing requirements to use the wave format. I recently
    purchased an I-River iHP120 that is the first Hard Disk unit to
    support wave files. (Well, Nomad has a unit but you can't read the
    files directly with Explorer). The sound is totally awesome!. Even has
    an optical
    output that connects to my Home theater system.

    Can anyone comment on this?

    gp, Dec 30, 2003
  5. On 30 Dec 2003 10:19:36 -0800, (gp) wrote:

    >The DVD-Video technique does present an interesting technique.
    >Your downside is why I am still trying to maintain the file as
    >a wave. The pure horse power of the LiteON LVD-2002 suggest this
    >would be the perfect machine to do this. I think the problem lies
    >in the liscensing requirements to use the wave format. I recently
    >purchased an I-River iHP120 that is the first Hard Disk unit to
    >support wave files. (Well, Nomad has a unit but you can't read the
    >files directly with Explorer). The sound is totally awesome!. Even has
    >an optical
    >output that connects to my Home theater system.
    >
    >Can anyone comment on this?

    You've heard it before. a .wav at 44100 is exactly the same thing as
    a CD PCM, no difference except in the header. CD's = .wavs.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 30, 2003
  6. gp

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On 30 Dec 2003 10:19:36 -0800, (gp) wrote:

    >The DVD-Video technique does present an interesting technique.
    >Your downside is why I am still trying to maintain the file as
    >a wave.

    Are you going to be manipulating these WAV files so much where this truly
    is a real downside? I guess then, unfortunately, that, currently, no
    solution is going to make you 100% happy.

    About the best you can hope for in 12/2003, is to archive the files as WAV
    files burnt to DVD-R for storage and when you want to manipulate them in
    their uncompressed format. Probably not a huge downside here when 4X Ritek
    G04 DVD-Rs are about $1.00 each in bulk.

    When you want to play them, save them as ultra high-bit rate MP3s
    (~320Kb/s) files or "audio" DVD-Videos (as described earlier in the thread)
    for playing on your LiteOn.
    Nomen Nescio, Dec 30, 2003