LiteOn 811S DVD-writer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by will, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. will

    will Guest

    will, Jan 16, 2004

  2. will

    max Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:24:21 +1300, will <>
    wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/new_p_e/english--p-drw8440.htm
    >
    >is the above writer worth considering? it's down to the $250 mark which
    >is pretty attractive.
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >will.

    I'm waiting for them to get to the stage CD Writers are now, with 40+
    write speeds. They don't seem to be quite there yet in terms of
    reliability. They are probably where CD writers were in 2000-01

    max, Jan 16, 2004

  3. will

    cowboyz Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:24:21 +1300, will <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >hi,
    > >
    > >http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/new_p_e/english--p-drw8440.htm
    > >
    > >is the above writer worth considering? it's down to the $250 mark which
    > >is pretty attractive.
    > >
    > >thanks
    > >
    > >will.

    > I'm waiting for them to get to the stage CD Writers are now, with 40+
    > write speeds. They don't seem to be quite there yet in terms of
    > reliability. They are probably where CD writers were in 2000-01

    I would say they are where CD Writers are now. 4x DVD = 36x CD which can
    knock out a DVD in 15 mins. Not too shabby. 8x DVD would be good if you
    can get a writer that likes writing 8x on 4x media or get a source for 8x
    media. 4.7G in ~8mins.

    I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!. or
    equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing power.

    cowboyz, Jan 16, 2004
  4. will

    K & S Guest

    K & S, Jan 16, 2004
  5. will

    max Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"max" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:24:21 +1300, will <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >hi,
    >> >
    >> >http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/new_p_e/english--p-drw8440.htm
    >> >
    >> >is the above writer worth considering? it's down to the $250 mark which
    >> >is pretty attractive.
    >> >
    >> >thanks
    >> >
    >> >will.

    >> I'm waiting for them to get to the stage CD Writers are now, with 40+
    >> write speeds. They don't seem to be quite there yet in terms of
    >> reliability. They are probably where CD writers were in 2000-01

    >I would say they are where CD Writers are now. 4x DVD = 36x CD which can
    >knock out a DVD in 15 mins. Not too shabby. 8x DVD would be good if you
    >can get a writer that likes writing 8x on 4x media or get a source for 8x
    >media. 4.7G in ~8mins.
    >
    >I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!. or
    >equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing power.

    I don't know, as they double in speed every so often. The write speed
    would equate to disk speed rotation, and not in amount of data
    transferred. I would pressume that a 8x DVD writer, would be rotating
    the same as a 8x CD writer, as an 8x CD writer can write an entire
    disk in 15 minutes. Therefore ther is scope for faster write speeds
    up to the physical limit, which appears to be about 50x

    max, Jan 16, 2004
  6. will

    cowboyz Guest

    max wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "max" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm waiting for them to get to the stage CD Writers are now, with
    >>> 40+ write speeds. They don't seem to be quite there yet in terms of
    >>> reliability. They are probably where CD writers were in 2000-01

    >> I would say they are where CD Writers are now. 4x DVD = 36x CD
    >> which can knock out a DVD in 15 mins. Not too shabby. 8x DVD
    >> would be good if you can get a writer that likes writing 8x on 4x
    >> media or get a source for 8x media. 4.7G in ~8mins.
    >>
    >> I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!.
    >> or equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing
    >> power.
    >>

    > I don't know, as they double in speed every so often. The write speed
    > would equate to disk speed rotation, and not in amount of data
    > transferred. I would pressume that a 8x DVD writer, would be rotating
    > the same as a 8x CD writer, as an 8x CD writer can write an entire
    > disk in 15 minutes. Therefore ther is scope for faster write speeds
    > up to the physical limit, which appears to be about 50x

    What are you on about?

    Your presumption about rotation is.. well.... wrong.

    The 1x 2x 4x whatever x is based on the speed a cd/dvd read at "normally".
    (150k/s for cd and 1350k/s for DVD)

    I just don't really get your point about 8x DVD Vs 8x CD. I kinda do but
    you just haven't got it right.

    An 8x DVD can write 4700MB in 8 minutes.
    An 8x CD can write 700MB in 8 minutes.

    Notice the difference?

    cowboyz, Jan 16, 2004
  7. will

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:19:48 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > An 8x DVD can write 4700MB in 8 minutes.
    > An 8x CD can write 700MB in 8 minutes.
    >
    > Notice the difference?

    Yep, gentle people the cowgirl has got it right here. Speed wise CD and
    DVD are apples and orange, you can not just compare the two speeds without
    a "correction" factor.

    Gordon, Jan 16, 2004
  8. will

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!. or
    > equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing power.

    And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will shatter
    instantly.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Jan 16, 2004
  9. will

    cowboyz Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!.
    >> or equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing
    >> power.

    > And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will
    > shatter instantly.
    >

    > Lennier

    But who cares about a little thing like discs shattering. At that speed
    you'd knock out a DVD in 90 seconds!!

    cowboyz, Jan 16, 2004
  10. will

    max Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:19:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >max wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "max" <> wrote in message

    >>> I would say they are where CD Writers are now. 4x DVD = 36x CD
    >>> which can knock out a DVD in 15 mins. Not too shabby. 8x DVD
    >>> would be good if you can get a writer that likes writing 8x on 4x
    >>> media or get a source for 8x media. 4.7G in ~8mins.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!.
    >>> or equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing
    >>> power.
    >>>

    >> I don't know, as they double in speed every so often. The write speed
    >> would equate to disk speed rotation, and not in amount of data
    >> transferred. I would pressume that a 8x DVD writer, would be rotating
    >> the same as a 8x CD writer, as an 8x CD writer can write an entire
    >> disk in 15 minutes. Therefore ther is scope for faster write speeds
    >> up to the physical limit, which appears to be about 50x

    >What are you on about?
    >
    >Your presumption about rotation is.. well.... wrong.
    >
    >The 1x 2x 4x whatever x is based on the speed a cd/dvd read at "normally".
    >(150k/s for cd and 1350k/s for DVD)
    >
    >I just don't really get your point about 8x DVD Vs 8x CD. I kinda do but
    >you just haven't got it right.
    >
    >An 8x DVD can write 4700MB in 8 minutes.
    >An 8x CD can write 700MB in 8 minutes.
    >
    >Notice the difference?

    I was taking about the rotation speed of the CD medium, as the CD and
    DVD are the same physical size, and both would have the same physical
    limitations as to the speed they can be rotated.
    A 8x DVD writer, the CD would be rotating at the same speed as a 8x CD
    writer. It is only the laser on the DVD writer that makes the
    difference, as its puts around 7 times more data into the space of a
    normal CD, thus it can write 4700MB in the same time that it takes a
    8x CD writer to write 700MB.

    max, Jan 16, 2004
  11. will

    max Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:41:15 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!. or
    >> equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing power.

    >And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will shatter
    >instantly.
    >

    >Lennier

    No the DVD and CD writers use a totally different laser, where the DVD
    laser can write 7 times more information into the space, that a normal
    CD writer laser can write, thus, it would only need to go to about 50x
    speed.

    max, Jan 16, 2004
  12. will

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:46:39 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    >> And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will
    >> shatter instantly.

    > But who cares about a little thing like discs shattering. At that speed
    > you'd knock out a DVD in 90 seconds!!

    Literally!

    ;o)

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 16, 2004
  13. will

    ~misfit~ Guest

    max wrote:
    > I was taking about the rotation speed of the CD medium, as the CD and
    > DVD are the same physical size, and both would have the same physical
    > limitations as to the speed they can be rotated.
    > A 8x DVD writer, the CD would be rotating at the same speed as a 8x CD
    > writer. It is only the laser on the DVD writer that makes the
    > difference, as its puts around 7 times more data into the space of a
    > normal CD, thus it can write 4700MB in the same time that it takes a
    > 8x CD writer to write 700MB.

    I was under the distinct impression that at 4x, a DVD drive is spinning a
    hell of a lot faster than a CD at 4x.
    --
    ~misfit~

    Can anyone less lazy than me give an answer?

    ~misfit~, Jan 16, 2004
  14. will

    ~misfit~ Guest

    max wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:41:15 +1300, Lennier
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!.
    >>> or equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing
    >>> power.

    >> And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will
    >> shatter instantly.
    >>

    >> Lennier

    > No the DVD and CD writers use a totally different laser, where the DVD
    > laser can write 7 times more information into the space, that a normal
    > CD writer laser can write, thus, it would only need to go to about 50x
    > speed.

    Do you have facts to back this up Max? That DVDs and CDs are running at the
    same rotational speed at the same 'X' rating?

    I was of the understanding that the laser on a DVD writer writes a lot finer
    'track' of data (for want of a better word), getting more 'tracks' on a
    disc, but the track holds the same amount of data (or very slightly more)
    per unit of length, therefore, to write at 4x, it has to spin aproximately 7
    times faster than a CD writer would writing at 4x. i.e. 4x DVD - 28x CD =
    same rotational speed.

    I could be wrong. If I'm not, then the only way you're going to get faster
    than 8x DVD (roughly equal or slightly less rotational speed to 56x CD) is
    to have multiple lasers writing simultaneously to different parts of the
    disc.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 16, 2004
  15. will

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:24:21 +1300, will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/new_p_e/english--p-drw8440.htm
    >
    > is the above writer worth considering? it's down to the $250 mark which
    > is pretty attractive.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    I was sent one of these from USA for Christmas.
    Ive only burnt one disk but from a casual user perspective there is no
    obvious faults, crappiness or hassles with install or use.
    Gets a thumbs up from me.

    Not 100% sure I have the same model tho - Lite On is what windows says it
    is the box says it is a Norcent dw412. dvd+r/+rw at 4X dvd+r, 4x dvd+rw,
    40X cd-r abd 24X cd-rw.

    best
    Warwick

    Warwick, Jan 16, 2004
  16. will

    cowboyz Guest

    max wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:19:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    > I was taking about the rotation speed of the CD medium, as the CD and
    > DVD are the same physical size, and both would have the same physical
    > limitations as to the speed they can be rotated.
    > A 8x DVD writer, the CD would be rotating at the same speed as a 8x CD
    > writer. It is only the laser on the DVD writer that makes the
    > difference, as its puts around 7 times more data into the space of a
    > normal CD, thus it can write 4700MB in the same time that it takes a
    > 8x CD writer to write 700MB.

    I'll entertain your thoughts for a short while.

    lets say a 10x cdr spins at 10000 rpm. (note : these rpm are made up to
    make my maths easier)
    lets say a 50x cdr spins at 50000 rpm

    by your theroy. A 10x dvd should spin at 10000. being as a DVD is 9
    times fast than a cd (in transfer rate) that makes a 10x dvd transferring
    data at 90x cd at the same speed. That means a 10x cd (1500k/s) @ 10000rpm
    = 10x dvd (13500k/s) @ 10000rpm

    therefore a 50x DVD would spin at 50000rpm and transfer 450x cd. That
    means 50x cd (22500k/s) @50000rpm = 50xdvd (67500k/s)@50000rpm

    Working this backwards we get.

    a 4x cdr transferring data at 600k/s at 4000 rpm = 4xdvd transferring data
    at 5400k/s at 4000rpm OR

    700mb/0.6mb/sec/60 secs = 19.4 mins/disc
    4700mb/5.4mb/sec.60 sec = 14.5 mins/disc

    cowboyz, Jan 16, 2004
  17. will

    cowboyz Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > max wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:41:15 +1300, Lennier
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will
    >>> shatter instantly.
    >>>

    >>> Lennier

    >> No the DVD and CD writers use a totally different laser, where the
    >> DVD laser can write 7 times more information into the space, that a
    >> normal CD writer laser can write, thus, it would only need to go to
    >> about 50x speed.

    > Do you have facts to back this up Max? That DVDs and CDs are running
    > at the same rotational speed at the same 'X' rating?
    >
    > I was of the understanding that the laser on a DVD writer writes a
    > lot finer 'track' of data (for want of a better word), getting more
    > 'tracks' on a disc, but the track holds the same amount of data (or
    > very slightly more) per unit of length, therefore, to write at 4x, it
    > has to spin aproximately 7 times faster than a CD writer would
    > writing at 4x. i.e. 4x DVD - 28x CD = same rotational speed.

    Max is wrong. You have it right. Only a DVD is 9 times faster than a CD
    not 7.

    > I could be wrong. If I'm not, then the only way you're going to get
    > faster than 8x DVD (roughly equal or slightly less rotational speed
    > to 56x CD) is to have multiple lasers writing simultaneously to
    > different parts of the disc.

    Now that is a damn fine idea. I would love to see that working and why not?
    Should be possible.

    cowboyz, Jan 16, 2004
  18. will

    max Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:46:07 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    wrote:

    >max wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:41:15 +1300, Lennier
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> And at that speed it is highly likely that the physical media will
    >>> shatter instantly.
    >>>

    >>> Lennier

    >> No the DVD and CD writers use a totally different laser, where the DVD
    >> laser can write 7 times more information into the space, that a normal
    >> CD writer laser can write, thus, it would only need to go to about 50x
    >> speed.

    >Do you have facts to back this up Max? That DVDs and CDs are running at the
    >same rotational speed at the same 'X' rating?
    >
    >I was of the understanding that the laser on a DVD writer writes a lot finer
    >'track' of data (for want of a better word), getting more 'tracks' on a
    >disc, but the track holds the same amount of data (or very slightly more)
    >per unit of length, therefore, to write at 4x, it has to spin aproximately 7
    >times faster than a CD writer would writing at 4x. i.e. 4x DVD - 28x CD =
    >same rotational speed.
    >
    >I could be wrong. If I'm not, then the only way you're going to get faster
    >than 8x DVD (roughly equal or slightly less rotational speed to 56x CD) is
    >to have multiple lasers writing simultaneously to different parts of the
    >disc.

    No I was just thinking of the physics of it, but would love to be
    proven wrong.
    If this was the case (8x DVD writer = same rotation speed as a 56x CD
    writer) then a 8x DVD writer would probably be almost the physical
    speed limit that they could built, due to the risk of them shattering
    at higher rotational speeds. However I would think that DVD writers
    will get alot faster than they currently are overtime.

    max, Jan 16, 2004
  19. will

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:16:09 +1300, max <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:06 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"max" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm waiting for them to get to the stage CD Writers are now, with 40+
    >>> write speeds. They don't seem to be quite there yet in terms of
    >>> reliability. They are probably where CD writers were in 2000-01

    >>I would say they are where CD Writers are now. 4x DVD = 36x CD which can
    >>knock out a DVD in 15 mins. Not too shabby. 8x DVD would be good if you
    >>can get a writer that likes writing 8x on 4x media or get a source for 8x
    >>media. 4.7G in ~8mins.
    >>
    >>I doubt DVD will ever get to 40x. That is like 54MB/sec!!! WOW!. or
    >>equivalent to 360x CD Writer. That is some serious writing power.
    >>

    >I don't know, as they double in speed every so often. The write speed
    >would equate to disk speed rotation, and not in amount of data
    >transferred. I would pressume that a 8x DVD writer, would be rotating
    >the same as a 8x CD writer, as an 8x CD writer can write an entire
    >disk in 15 minutes. Therefore ther is scope for faster write speeds
    >up to the physical limit, which appears to be about 50x

    They can't make them any faster as the disk will shatter, DVD speed are some
    10x faster than CD speeds or some thing like that..

    K & S, Jan 16, 2004
  20. will

    A Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:14:43 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I could be wrong. If I'm not, then the only way you're going to get
    >> faster than 8x DVD (roughly equal or slightly less rotational speed
    >> to 56x CD) is to have multiple lasers writing simultaneously to
    >> different parts of the disc.

    >Now that is a damn fine idea. I would love to see that working and why not?
    >Should be possible.

    Already done.

    Yamaha (or someone) released CD writers that used multiple lasers. I
    can't remember the name for those drives.

    A, Jan 16, 2004