Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

    Determined to find something to read a few badly marked dvds that I
    couldn't play or extract files from I decided to buy a Lite-on DVD
    recorder (only needed a reader but it was only $80 compared to $55).
    They're selling them or trying to sell them for $102+ on Trademe.

    All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
    it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
    without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
    full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
    know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
    toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
    The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.

    Now for the bad - it seem to take some time to recognise a disc. Any
    file manager will suggest there is no disc in the drive for the first
    few attempts. Is that normal.

    Another strange thing - I have a dvd that my Benq writer won't
    recognise and the Lite-on won't recognise it and yet my scummy Auriga
    player with a cheap made in Taiwan KTC brand player will play it.
    Looks like my days of pissing around with hooking up my auriga KTC
    loader to my computer to read discs that the Benq won't play are not
    entirely over.

    I should add that as pleased as I am that the Lite-on read the discs
    that were giving me problems - it's a cheap flimisy made
    player/writer. I wouldn't dare to even think about using the tray as a
    coffee mug holder.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    John Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

    > My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.
    >
    > Determined to find something to read a few badly marked dvds that I
    > couldn't play or extract files from I decided to buy a Lite-on DVD
    > recorder (only needed a reader but it was only $80 compared to $55).
    > They're selling them or trying to sell them for $102+ on Trademe.
    >
    > All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
    > it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
    > without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
    > full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
    > know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
    > toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
    > The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.
    >
    > Now for the bad - it seem to take some time to recognise a disc. Any
    > file manager will suggest there is no disc in the drive for the first
    > few attempts. Is that normal.
    >
    > Another strange thing - I have a dvd that my Benq writer won't
    > recognise and the Lite-on won't recognise it and yet my scummy Auriga
    > player with a cheap made in Taiwan KTC brand player will play it.
    > Looks like my days of pissing around with hooking up my auriga KTC
    > loader to my computer to read discs that the Benq won't play are not
    > entirely over.
    >
    > I should add that as pleased as I am that the Lite-on read the discs
    > that were giving me problems - it's a cheap flimisy made
    > player/writer. I wouldn't dare to even think about using the tray as a
    > coffee mug holder.

    Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
    run it though their CD cleaning machine.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    John Guest

    John, Sep 4, 2005
  4. On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:58 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
    >run it though their CD cleaning machine.

    I know someone with such a machine but I was getting too impatient
    waiting for him to check my dvds.

    As for my local video/dvd shop, the state of their back catalogue dvds
    suggests that they don't have such a thing as a dvd cleaner.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005
  5. On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:37:03 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    >
    >>My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

    >You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
    >download;
    >
    >http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp
    >
    >You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
    >with the BenQ 1620.
    >
    >http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
    suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
    I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
    firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
    something newer? Any noticeable difference?
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005
  6. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    SteveM Guest

    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in

    SNIP

    >>John.

    > I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
    > suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
    > I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
    > firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
    > something newer? Any noticeable difference?

    I flashed mine to a hacked B7T9 for the region free and faster DVD rip
    speed.
    No other noticeable difference.
    Mine seems to read everything I throw at it..........

    SteveM
    SteveM, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    John Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:21:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:37:03 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    >>
    >>>My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

    >>You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
    >>download;
    >>
    >>http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp
    >>
    >>You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
    >>with the BenQ 1620.
    >>
    >>http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
    > suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
    > I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
    > firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
    > something newer? Any noticeable difference?

    http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

    Try new firmware and if you see any improvement flash back to the old
    firmware.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Sep 4, 2005
  8. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    John Guest

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:50:01 +1200, John wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:21:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

    >>>You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
    >>>download;
    >>>
    >>>http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp
    >>>
    >>>You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
    >>>with the BenQ 1620.
    >>>
    >>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>John.

    >> I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
    >> suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
    >> I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
    >> firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
    >> something newer? Any noticeable difference?

    > http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm
    >
    > Try new firmware and if you see any improvement flash back to the old
    > firmware.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.

    That should read "if you *don't* see any improvement".

    Point that you might not be aware of is B7S9 came out on drives made
    for mainland China, and specially for the media that is used in China
    (lower grade media).

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Sep 4, 2005
  9. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:13:43 GMT, (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:58 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
    >>run it though their CD cleaning machine.

    >I know someone with such a machine but I was getting too impatient
    >waiting for him to check my dvds.
    >
    >As for my local video/dvd shop, the state of their back catalogue dvds
    >suggests that they don't have such a thing as a dvd cleaner.

    The local one here will send them away to get resurfaced. I think it costs
    about $10 per disc. I think they just cut some of the surface off.

    It wouldn't be worth a video shop doing it on their older ones, and I guess it's
    only going to be a small number of times it can be done.
    Craig Shore, Sep 4, 2005
  10. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Dave Taylor Guest

    > All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
    > it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
    > without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
    > full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
    > know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
    > toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
    > The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.

    Did you try ISOBuster?
    http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
    IsoBuster is a highly specialized yet easy to use CD and DVD data
    recovery tool. It supports all CD and DVD formats and all common CD and
    DVD file-systems (= set of files and folders). Start up IsoBuster,
    Insert a CD or DVD, select the drive (if not selected already) and let
    IsoBuster mount the media. IsoBuster immediately shows you all the
    tracks and sessions located on the media, combined with all file-systems
    that are present. This way you get easy access, just like explorer, to
    all the files and folders per file-system. Instead of being limited to
    one file-system that the OS picks for you, you have access to "the
    complete picture". Access data from older sessions, access data that
    your OS (e.g. Windows) does not see or hides from you etc.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 4, 2005
  11. On 4 Sep 2005 20:39:14 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in
    >
    >> All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
    >> it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
    >> without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
    >> full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
    >> know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
    >> toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
    >> The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.

    >Did you try ISOBuster?
    >http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
    >IsoBuster is a highly specialized yet easy to use CD and DVD data
    >recovery tool. It supports all CD and DVD formats and all common CD and
    >DVD file-systems (= set of files and folders). Start up IsoBuster,
    >Insert a CD or DVD, select the drive (if not selected already) and let
    >IsoBuster mount the media. IsoBuster immediately shows you all the
    >tracks and sessions located on the media, combined with all file-systems
    >that are present. This way you get easy access, just like explorer, to
    >all the files and folders per file-system. Instead of being limited to
    >one file-system that the OS picks for you, you have access to "the
    >complete picture". Access data from older sessions, access data that
    >your OS (e.g. Windows) does not see or hides from you etc.

    I did try it without success - does it have limited 'free' functions?

    Also tried CDRoller - no success with that. I was actually lucky not
    to be sucked in with that crap. It looked like it was working in 'free
    mode' where you couldn't save anything - it did not work for me in
    full function mode.

    I hate some of this 'crippled' shareware that pretends to work but
    doesn't allow you to save anything and when you get a regged version
    it doesn't work the way it claims to be doing.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005
  12. On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:12:06 +1200, John <> wrote:

    >> Try new firmware and if you see any improvement flash back to the old
    >> firmware.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.

    >That should read "if you *don't* see any improvement".
    >
    >Point that you might not be aware of is B7S9 came out on drives made
    >for mainland China, and specially for the media that is used in China
    >(lower grade media).

    Yes, I discovered that after posting my last message. I wonder how
    'low grade' they mean - I use Cyqve dvds that aren't particularly high
    grade from what I gather. If I flash will my benq still like the Cyqve
    discs I'm using.

    Talking about Cyqve - they used to be CMC? brand but now they Sony. I
    preferred the older ones - more compatible with my old Samsung.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005
  13. Re: Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse. UPDATE

    Maybe this Lite-on SOHW 1673S drive is not as 'magical' as I first
    thought. It's ability to read 'bad discs' is not much different to any
    other drive that I have - it's like a lottery. All three of my dvdrom
    players/writers have problems reading discs occasionally and they've
    all read discs that the other two have refused to read or read poorly.

    I don't regret my Lite-on purchase because it read and extracted files
    from a couple of dvds that I desperately wanted. However I would not
    recommend them as an ONLY dvdwriter/player.
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 4, 2005
  14. Re: Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse. UPDATE

    T'was the Sun, 04 Sep 2005 10:11:14 GMT when I remembered
    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) saying something like this:

    >Maybe this Lite-on SOHW 1673S drive is not as 'magical' as I first
    >thought. It's ability to read 'bad discs' is not much different to any
    >other drive that I have - it's like a lottery. All three of my dvdrom
    >players/writers have problems reading discs occasionally and they've
    >all read discs that the other two have refused to read or read poorly.

    I recently got a Samsung TSH552U DVD burner. Does bitsetting with the
    latest firmware and Nero 6 Reloaded.

    Seems alright. To be honest, I don't see much differences between DVD
    drives these days. They're all pretty good.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 5, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:13:43 GMT, (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:58 +1200, John <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
    >>>run it though their CD cleaning machine.

    >>I know someone with such a machine but I was getting too impatient
    >>waiting for him to check my dvds.
    >>
    >>As for my local video/dvd shop, the state of their back catalogue dvds
    >>suggests that they don't have such a thing as a dvd cleaner.

    >The local one here will send them away to get resurfaced. I think it costs
    >about $10 per disc. I think they just cut some of the surface off.
    >
    >It wouldn't be worth a video shop doing it on their older ones, and I guess
    >it's only going to be a small number of times it can be done.

    I can't even see it being worth doing for the newer ones. For that
    price, why not get fresh copies made?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2005