    4. What other burner (with play capabilities) would be good in the
    "below $80" range? My shopping choices are...Walmart, Kmart, Meijer,
    Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy, Circuit City.
    sofasurfer, Dec 28, 2006

  2. sofasurfer

    Neil Green Guest

    "sofasurfer" <> wrote in
    message
    news:...
    >I just bought a Lite-On 16x, dual layer DVD
    >Re-Writer. CDs played fine.
    > When I put in a rented movie it looked great but it
    > had no sound.
    >
    > I called Lite-On and was told that the product
    > didn't come with audio
    > software and that I needed to go on line and BUY
    > IT!!!
    >
    > I cussed them out and took it back.
    >
    > Questions...
    > 1. Have you ever heard of this?
    > 2. Could I have used any other free software off the
    > WWW?
    > 3. The included software was Nero 7 Essentials. I
    > forgot that I had
    > Nero 6. I think 6 worked with another DVD player I
    > used to have. Could
    > I have used Nero 6?
    > 4. What other burner (with play capabilities) would
    > be good in the
    > "below $80" range? My shopping choices
    > are...Walmart, Kmart, Meijer,
    > Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy, Circuit City.

    Lite-on burners are very good value for money, and as
    good or better than similarly priced units.
    The Sony CDRW drives of a few years ago were rebadged
    Lite-ons at a higher price and with less support for
    firmware upgrades etc.
    Your problem with sound on the DVD had nothing to do
    with the drive, but I'm surprised with Lite-on's
    response to your problem.
    Power DVD should play the movie fine.
    Pioneer and Samsung drives are OK, but I prefer
    Lite-on.
    Neil Green, Dec 28, 2006

  3. sofasurfer

    sofasurfer Guest

    Neil Green wrote:
    > "sofasurfer" <> wrote in
    > message
    >
    > Your problem with sound on the DVD had nothing to do
    > with the drive,

    Thats what I'm hearing. But I just went out and bought a memorex
    recorder and it works fine. However, the manual says that the encoders
    will expire and I will need to go on line and buy them.

    >but I'm surprised with Lite-on's
    > response to your problem.

    Memorex will have the same answer when the encoders expire.
    I was told that its my computers fault for not having the proper audio
    software. Well then why do the enclude the encoders(temporarily) if
    everyone is assummed to have the proper software?
    sofasurfer, Dec 29, 2006
  4. sofasurfer

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    sofasurfer wrote:
    > Neil Green wrote:
    >> "sofasurfer" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>
    >> Your problem with sound on the DVD had nothing to do
    >> with the drive,

    > Thats what I'm hearing. But I just went out and bought a memorex
    > recorder and it works fine. However, the manual says that the encoders
    > will expire and I will need to go on line and buy them.

    You wasted your money. Encoders have nothing at all to do with
    playback, only recording.

    >> but I'm surprised with Lite-on's
    >> response to your problem.

    > Memorex will have the same answer when the encoders expire.
    > I was told that its my computers fault for not having the proper audio
    > software. Well then why do the enclude the encoders(temporarily) if
    > everyone is assummed to have the proper software?

    See above. Your problem is with your playback software - what are you
    using?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus