List Server

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peter, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    Does anyone know of a good list server on the net..

    Cheers Peter
    peter, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 18, 2004

  3. peter

    peter Guest

    I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..

    Any advice greatly recieved..

    peter, Oct 18, 2004
  4. peter

    Collector_NZ Guest

    peter said the following on 18/10/2004 13:42:
    > I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    > one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..
    >
    > Any advice greatly recieved..
    >

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>peter wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know of a good list server on the net..

    >>yep, the one that the DSL mailing list seems good.
    >>or did you want one that you could use?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Dave Hall
    >>http://www.dave.net.nz
    >>http://www.karyn.net.nz

    What OS do you wish to use and do you need membership management of the
    list or will the students subscribe.
    Do you run a mail server at the moment
    Have you considered the reaction you are going to get from security at
    xtra, I had the black suits on me withing hours of my first list send
    when I was an xtra user, and they where not polite or interested in
    listening to anything.
    Collector_NZ, Oct 18, 2004
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    > What OS do you wish to use

    XP

    and do you need membership management of the
    > list

    I already have their Email addresses..

    > Do you run a mail server at the moment

    Nope

    > Have you considered the reaction you are going to get from security at
    > xtra, I had the black suits on me withing hours of my first list send

    WOW scary

    > when I was an xtra user, and they where not polite or interested in
    > listening to anything.

    VERY scary

    Off topic : I got hacked once. I knew something was wrong when my woosh
    modem turned itself on..And fro a day I was a unwitting email spammer.. My
    provider was not ammused..
    peter, Oct 18, 2004
  6. On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:42:32 +1300, peter wrote:

    > I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    > one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..

    Are you part of some institution? I know VUW has a list server, and would
    suspect most others would too.

    Richard
    Richard Hector, Oct 18, 2004
  7. peter

    peter Guest

    >> I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    >> one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list
    >> server..

    > Are you part of some institution? I know VUW has a list server, and would
    > suspect most others would too.

    I'm a computer tutor for R.E.A.P we dont have one.. thx
    peter, Oct 18, 2004
  8. peter

    Collector_NZ Guest

    peter said the following on 18/10/2004 14:04:
    >>What OS do you wish to use

    > XP
    >

    > and do you need membership management of the
    >
    >>list

    > I already have their Email addresses..
    >

    >>Do you run a mail server at the moment

    > Nope
    >

    >>Have you considered the reaction you are going to get from security at
    >>xtra, I had the black suits on me withing hours of my first list send

    > WOW scary
    >

    >>when I was an xtra user, and they where not polite or interested in
    >>listening to anything.

    > VERY scary
    >

    > Off topic : I got hacked once. I knew something was wrong when my woosh
    > modem turned itself on..And fro a day I was a unwitting email spammer.. My
    > provider was not ammused..

    Okay well the first thing is your list server will need to provide smtp
    so you are not using xtras, wont stop the black suits but will slow them
    up, second you probably want freeware so a visit to nonags.com is in
    order. checkout PostCast Server and List Serve and others.

    Your milage may very but I found using a list server caused me more
    grief than it was worth and that was only with 350 semi pro atheletes as
    users.
    Collector_NZ, Oct 18, 2004
  9. peter

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Collector_NZ said the following on 18/10/2004 14:24:
    > peter said the following on 18/10/2004 14:04:
    >
    >>> What OS do you wish to use

    >> XP
    >>

    >> and do you need membership management of the
    >>
    >>> list

    >> I already have their Email addresses..
    >>

    >>> Do you run a mail server at the moment

    >> Nope
    >>

    >>> Have you considered the reaction you are going to get from security
    >>> at xtra, I had the black suits on me withing hours of my first list send

    >> WOW scary
    >>

    >>> when I was an xtra user, and they where not polite or interested in
    >>> listening to anything.

    >> VERY scary
    >>

    >> Off topic : I got hacked once. I knew something was wrong when my
    >> woosh modem turned itself on..And fro a day I was a unwitting email
    >> spammer.. My provider was not ammused..
    >>

    > Okay well the first thing is your list server will need to provide smtp
    > so you are not using xtras, wont stop the black suits but will slow them
    > up, second you probably want freeware so a visit to nonags.com is in
    > order. checkout PostCast Server and List Serve and others.
    >
    > Your milage may very but I found using a list server caused me more
    > grief than it was worth and that was only with 350 semi pro atheletes as
    > users.

    BTW I used MDaemon mailserver and it was excellent as a mailserver list
    serverand digest server, but it is not free
    Collector_NZ, Oct 18, 2004
  10. In message <DREcd.150$>, "peter"
    <> wrote:

    >>> I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    >>> one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list
    >>> server..

    >> Are you part of some institution? I know VUW has a list server, and would
    >> suspect most others would too.

    >I'm a computer tutor for R.E.A.P we dont have one.. thx

    Have you considered using a Yahoo group? All the mailservers I used
    to use seem to have been swallowed up by Yahoo Groups.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Oct 18, 2004
  11. peter

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    > one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..
    >
    > Any advice greatly recieved..

    If you have that many students, there must be a collective entity (xxx.ac.nz
    or whatever). Why don't you ask the techos to set you up a distribution
    list, which you can administer?

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Oct 18, 2004
  12. peter

    Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:42:32 +1300, peter wrote:

    > I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    > one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..
    >
    > Any advice greatly recieved..

    Woger alert!

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  13. wrote:
    >>I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    >>one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..
    >>Any advice greatly recieved..

    > Woger alert!

    huh?
    I doubt this is Roger... the spelling is too good, and also they say
    "Any advice greatly recieved.." which doesnt sound at all like Roger.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 18, 2004
  14. peter

    Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:17:34 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them in
    >>>one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list server..
    >>>Any advice greatly recieved..

    >> Woger alert!

    > huh?
    > I doubt this is Roger... the spelling is too good, and also they say
    > "Any advice greatly recieved.." which doesnt sound at all like Roger.

    Yeah - but look at all those double dots at the ends of sentences.

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.
  15. peter

    Collector_NZ Guest

    said the following on 18/10/2004 23:25:

    >>>Woger alert!

    >>huh?
    >>I doubt this is Roger... the spelling is too good, and also they say
    >>"Any advice greatly recieved.." which doesnt sound at all like Roger.

    > Yeah - but look at all those double dots at the ends of sentences.
    >

    > Divine

    Yep double dots but its a jetstream account its posted from Woger dosnt
    have JS
    Collector_NZ, Oct 18, 2004
  16. wrote:

    >>>Woger alert!

    >>huh?
    >>I doubt this is Roger... the spelling is too good, and also they say
    >>"Any advice greatly recieved.." which doesnt sound at all like Roger.

    > Yeah - but look at all those double dots at the ends of sentences.

    one double, one triple, hell, it looks like I could have posted it...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 18, 2004
  17. peter

    Crash Guest

    > wrote:
    > >>I have about 1000 enroled students and I want to be able to emial them

    in
    > >>one go...I though It might be a good idea to do this using a list

    server..
    > >>Any advice greatly recieved..

    > > Woger alert!

    > huh?
    > I doubt this is Roger... the spelling is too good, and also they say
    > "Any advice greatly recieved.." which doesnt sound at all like Roger.

    I have been away more than 3 months but on reading the first post from
    Geronimo! I knew it was Roger by the end of the first paragraph. Peter (op)
    is not Roger. IMHO.

    Crash.
    Crash, Oct 19, 2004