    right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.

    Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
    appreciated.
    MaPi, Jun 15, 2007

  2. MaPi

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 14 Jun 2007 23:16:05 GMT, MaPi <> wrote:

    >I just set up 'simple' mailing list server, I'm not sure if anyone is
    >familiar with that.

    No.

    >Anyways, I have over 500 clients and most mail servers
    >will not allow me to send that many emails at once. I also have no idea
    >what good server software are available.

    500 'clients' or potential spam victims?

    >The mailing list i'm using right now runs on a MySQL server and it's all
    >php. It uses the email account that I got with the hosting package which
    >only allows me to send 250 emails per day.

    That's a good thing.

    >I can set up a cron process to
    >have the emails sent one by one but I've no idea how to do that. I'm
    >hosted on godaddy if that helps any.
    >
    >So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
    >right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.
    >
    >Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
    >appreciated.

    You could either use the smtp server you use in your mail client, or
    send direct to max.
    Evan Platt, Jun 15, 2007

  3. MaPi

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "MaPi" <> wrote in message

    > So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
    > right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.

    What sucks about it? BCC them all.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 15, 2007
  4. MaPi

    MaPi Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On 14 Jun 2007 23:16:05 GMT, MaPi <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just set up 'simple' mailing list server, I'm not sure if anyone is
    >>familiar with that.

    > Google+Search
    >
    > No.
    >

    >>Anyways, I have over 500 clients and most mail servers
    >>will not allow me to send that many emails at once. I also have no
    >>idea what good server software are available.

    > 500 'clients' or potential spam victims?

    Clients.. for the Small Fry Herald, they can subscribe and unsubscribe as
    well. But it covers local news that isn't covered by other local media.
    You can find it at http://www.edmundstonlocals.com/sfh1.6.html

    So why would someone want to subscribe to Spam?

    >>The mailing list i'm using right now runs on a MySQL server and it's
    >>all php. It uses the email account that I got with the hosting
    >>package which only allows me to send 250 emails per day.

    > That's a good thing.

    I think flood timers would be a better idea, I mean, I don't even pay for
    Gmail and it has a much higher limit. If I'm going to pay this much for
    webhosting and emails, I'd expect to be able to send more than 250 emails
    per day.

    >>I can set up a cron process to
    >>have the emails sent one by one but I've no idea how to do that. I'm
    >>hosted on godaddy if that helps any.
    >>
    >>So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only
    >>solution right now is to send them from my mail client and that really
    >>sucks.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
    >>appreciated.

    > You could either use the smtp server you use in your mail client, or
    > send direct to max.

    I use the gmail server and it's quite slow and I'm not sure what you mean
    by sending direct to max

    With a listserver you can have people subscribe and unsubscribe, without
    one, I have to do the requests by hand and it's a lot of work.
    MaPi, Jun 15, 2007
  5. MaPi

    MaPi Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in news:X7kci.60$tF2.26
    @newsfe12.lga:

    > "MaPi" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
    >> right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.
    >>

    > What sucks about it? BCC them all.

    I could carbon copy it but the server takes forever to send them all and
    I'm left without the option of having a field on the webpage that allows
    them to subscribe and unsubscribe.
    MaPi, Jun 15, 2007
  6. MaPi

    Mike Easter Guest

    MaPi wrote:
    > I just set up 'simple' mailing list server,

    I'm concerned about your mailing list management strategy.

    Here's one set of best practices guidelines about that
    http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_listmgntgdlines.html Guidelines for proper
    mailing list management

    Some elements in that say... No one should ever have to unsubscribe from
    a list they did not intentionally subscribe to. -- mailing lists are
    also vulnerable to misuse through a variety of means. -- when a list
    owner or manager receives a subscription request, they send a
    confirmation message which requires some affirmative action on the part
    of the owner of the email address before that email address is added to
    the mailing list.

    > Anyways, I have over 500 clients

    .... and how in the world did you come to have 500 so-called 'clients'
    who specifically and revokably requested by means of a unique token
    which you confirmed that you email them some kind of regular emailing?
    I seriously doubt it.

    > So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client,

    You are way more interested in getting out your emails than you are in
    demonstrating that you know the first thing about mailing list
    management which is not spam.

    > Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
    > appreciated.

    I suggest that you start out by 'proving' that you have a clean list of
    people who requested to receive the specific mailing which you are
    interested in sending and not a mailing list of addresses which might be
    interested in your mailing and which might not be interested in your
    mailing.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 15, 2007
  7. MaPi

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 14 Jun 2007 23:45:06 GMT, MaPi <> wrote:

    >I use the gmail server and it's quite slow and I'm not sure what you mean
    >by sending direct to max
    >
    >With a listserver you can have people subscribe and unsubscribe, without
    >one, I have to do the requests by hand and it's a lot of work.

    Damn spell checker.. Direct to MX.

    Basically, you'd need to install a SMTP server on that machine, and
    that machine would connect directly to the other mail servers to send
    your mail.

    Of course, there's a lot of if's.. If that machine is on a dynamic IP,
    other mail servers may reject mail from it, if that IP is blacklisted,
    etc..
    Evan Platt, Jun 15, 2007
  8. MaPi

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > MaPi wrote:
    >> I just set up 'simple' mailing list server,

    > I'm concerned about your mailing list management strategy.
    >
    > Here's one set of best practices guidelines about that

    Hopefully your system works as adverised:

    http://www.edmundstonlocals.com - Subscribe to the Small Fry Herald! -
    All subscribe/unsubscribe requests must be confirmed via email.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 15, 2007
  9. MaPi

    MaPi Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > MaPi wrote:
    >> I just set up 'simple' mailing list server,

    > I'm concerned about your mailing list management strategy.
    >
    > Here's one set of best practices guidelines about that
    > http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_listmgntgdlines.html Guidelines for
    > proper mailing list management
    >
    > Some elements in that say... No one should ever have to unsubscribe
    > from a list they did not intentionally subscribe to. -- mailing lists
    > are also vulnerable to misuse through a variety of means. -- when a
    > list owner or manager receives a subscription request, they send a
    > confirmation message which requires some affirmative action on the
    > part of the owner of the email address before that email address is
    > added to the mailing list.
    >
    >> Anyways, I have over 500 clients

    > ... and how in the world did you come to have 500 so-called 'clients'
    > who specifically and revokably requested by means of a unique token
    > which you confirmed that you email them some kind of regular emailing?
    > I seriously doubt it.
    >
    >> So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client,

    > You are way more interested in getting out your emails than you are in
    > demonstrating that you know the first thing about mailing list
    > management which is not spam.
    >
    >> Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
    >> appreciated.

    > I suggest that you start out by 'proving' that you have a clean list
    > of people who requested to receive the specific mailing which you are
    > interested in sending and not a mailing list of addresses which might
    > be interested in your mailing and which might not be interested in
    > your mailing.

    some people do have a social life outside the internet. I promote
    shows, I collect people's email to send them to the list and I do the
    same with my band. Most of the people on the list are locals and people
    in the music industry.

    So, your paranoia is justified but there's no need to get aggressive.
    www.edmundstonlocals.com for the main page and the newsletter is found
    at www.edmundstonlocals.com/sfh1.6.htm

    Does it look like spam to you, or information that both bands and fans
    of music would be interested in reading? Does it seem like I'm going to
    make any type of money off of this?

    Seriously, all you've done is tell me that you're concerned for the
    internet community, something you could have summed up in a few words.
    MaPi, Jun 15, 2007
  10. MaPi

    MaPi Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On 14 Jun 2007 23:45:06 GMT, MaPi <> wrote:
    >
    >>I use the gmail server and it's quite slow and I'm not sure what you
    >>mean by sending direct to max
    >>
    >>With a listserver you can have people subscribe and unsubscribe,
    >>without one, I have to do the requests by hand and it's a lot of work.

    > Damn spell checker.. Direct to MX.
    >
    > Basically, you'd need to install a SMTP server on that machine, and
    > that machine would connect directly to the other mail servers to send
    > your mail.
    >
    > Of course, there's a lot of if's.. If that machine is on a dynamic IP,
    > other mail servers may reject mail from it, if that IP is blacklisted,
    > etc..

    So basically; run a mail server on my machine use a bounce would be
    ideal?

    Now that sounds quite simple enough, I'm sure setting that setting it up
    won't be so easy, though. I'm sure I could script something but I'm sure
    there's software out there that does all that shit already. I just can't
    find anything decent.
    MaPi, Jun 15, 2007
  11. MaPi

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:14:37 +0000, MaPi wrote:

    > Seriously, all you've done is tell me that you're concerned for the
    > internet community, something you could have summed up in a few words.

    OK, how's this summary:

    **** off and die, you piece of shit wannabe spammer asswipe!

    Dan C, Jun 15, 2007
  12. MaPi

    MaPi Guest

    Dan C <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:14:37 +0000, MaPi wrote:
    >
    >> Seriously, all you've done is tell me that you're concerned for the
    >> internet community, something you could have summed up in a few words.

    > OK, how's this summary:
    >
    > **** off and die, you piece of shit wannabe spammer asswipe!

    Hey, don't blame me because you're the unpopular guy in school. Or do you
    get pissed off at anyone that actually has a life outside his computer too?

    Fucking looser.
    MaPi, Jun 15, 2007
  13. MaPi

    Chowhund Guest

    In 24hoursupport.helpdesk auf 14 Jun 2007 23:16:05 GMT ein dummkopf
    durch den namen von MaPi <> schrieb :

    >I just set up 'simple' mailing list server, I'm not sure if anyone is
    >familiar with that. Anyways, I have over 500 clients and most mail servers
    >will not allow me to send that many emails at once. I also have no idea
    >what good server software are available.
    >
    >The mailing list i'm using right now runs on a MySQL server and it's all
    >php. It uses the email account that I got with the hosting package which
    >only allows me to send 250 emails per day. I can set up a cron process to
    >have the emails sent one by one but I've no idea how to do that. I'm
    >hosted on godaddy if that helps any.
    >
    >So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
    >right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.
    >
    >Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
    >appreciated.

    Here's all you need:

    http://listserv.csd.net/cgi-bin/wa
    Chowhund, Jun 17, 2007