List prices

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, May 27, 2012.

  1. I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
    than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

    I was after a laptop and noticed the DSE had a far lower list price of
    a DV6-6C39TX on Saturday DSE is listing it at $1699 where HN its some
    $2258, the cheaper DV6-6C38TX is being sold at HN Porirua for some $1499
    from a list price of $1799, only has a 750Gb HD and no Blu-Ray writer
    only a reader.

    But the DV6-6C39TX at DSE was on special at DSE on Saturday at $1444.20
    but for some reason never got a email from DSE about there XXXL sale, I
    do on other sales, special offers.

    What I like about this Laptop nice HD 1920 x 1080 none reflective
    screen.

    The only thing that lets it done is bad support for the AMD HD 7690M TX
    GPU, only has very old drivers AMD has no support for this GPU.

    Some 47 Pages of complaints on the HP forum regarding this GPU.
    William Brown, May 27, 2012

  2. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-26, William Brown <> wrote:

    > I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
    > than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

    Go Harvey, as the ad says.

    Meanwhile, back at at the wallet. Might go some where else first, second
    etc.

    [snip]

    So do let us know which you buy Roger, Will I am, or Frank.
    Gordon, May 27, 2012

  3. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >William Brown wrote:
    >> I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
    >> than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

    >List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
    >check it on some importer/distributor websites).
    >
    >Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

    The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
    your "sale discount" looks. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 29, 2012
  4. On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >>William Brown wrote:
    >>> I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
    >>> than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

    >>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
    >>check it on some importer/distributor websites).
    >>
    >>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

    >The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
    >your "sale discount" looks. :)

    But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
    Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
    using before the sale.
    Stephen Worthington, May 29, 2012
  5. In article <>, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >>In article <>, "geoff"

    > <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
    >>>check it on some importer/distributor websites).
    >>>
    >>>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

    >>The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
    >>your "sale discount" looks. :)

    >But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
    >Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
    >using before the sale.

    ... and *that's* the reason why I might want really high shelf prices in my
    shop and to have sales all the time. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 30, 2012
  6. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On May 29, 5:16 pm, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    > wrote:

    > >>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
    > >>check it on some importer/distributor websites).

    > >>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

    > >The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
    > >your "sale discount" looks. :)

    > But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
    > Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
    > using before the sale.

    You're both right. They can get away with it as long as they have it
    at list price most of the time. I suspect they only rarely sell
    anything expensive other than on sale days.
    JohnO, May 30, 2012
  7. On Tue, 29 May 2012 17:14:18 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On May 29, 5:16 pm, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
    >> (Bruce Sinclair)
    >> wrote:

    >> >The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
    >> >your "sale discount" looks. :)

    >> But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
    >> Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
    >> using before the sale.

    >You're both right. They can get away with it as long as they have it
    >at list price most of the time. I suspect they only rarely sell
    >anything expensive other than on sale days.

    But you go to the Manufactures web site and find that it much lower.

    But the shop is quoting the old retail price like HN does.
    Frank Williams, May 30, 2012
  8. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 1, 8:48 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > > In article <>, "geoff"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you
    > >> can check it on some importer/distributor websites).

    > >> Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

    > > The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the
    > > better
    > > your "sale discount" looks. :)

    > Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same for each
    > retailer.

    Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    want out of each item.

    JohnO, May 31, 2012
  9. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, "geoff"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you
    >>> can check it on some importer/distributor websites).
    >>>
    >>> Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

    >> The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the
    >> better
    >> your "sale discount" looks. :)

    >Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same for each
    >retailer.

    Yeah ... you might think, mightn't you ? :)
    Interestingly, many/most don't display a RRP ... just a "normally" ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 1, 2012
  10. On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 1, 8:48 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >> Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >> > The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the
    >> > better
    >> > your "sale discount" looks. :)

    >> Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same for each
    >> retailer.

    >Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    >want out of each item.

    That's the problem in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the
    prices than oversea, even the milk is 1/2 the price in the US..

    New Zealand the rip off country.

    Frank Williams, Jun 1, 2012
  11. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same foreach
    > >> retailer.

    > >Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    > >want out of each item.

    > That's the problem  in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the
    > prices than oversea, even the milk is 1/2 the price in the US..
    >
    > New Zealand  the rip off country.

    Then start your own store and undercut them. You'll be rich, Woger!

    JohnO, Jun 1, 2012
  12. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same foreach
    > >> retailer.

    > >Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    > >want out of each item.

    > That's the problem  in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the

    REALLY? Let's have an example of something that costs 5 times more in
    NZ than the US then.

    JohnO, Jun 1, 2012
  13. On Thu, 31 May 2012 21:58:27 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    >> >want out of each item.

    >> That's the problem  in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the
    >> prices than oversea, even the milk is 1/2 the price in the US..
    >>
    >> New Zealand  the rip off country.

    >Then start your own store and undercut them. You'll be rich, Woger!

    Think before you post again the suppliers are also ripping us off, so
    how can you reduce the price.

    Take a look at The Warehouse Gray Imports but the US wants that banned..

    Frank Williams, Jun 1, 2012
  14. William Brown

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    >>> want out of each item.

    >> That's the problem in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the

    > REALLY? Let's have an example of something that costs 5 times more in
    > NZ than the US then.

    Cocaine?
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2012
  15. William Brown

    Enkidu Guest

    On 03/06/12 10:01, EMB wrote:
    > On 1/06/2012 11:17 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> Interestingly, many/most don't display a RRP ... just a "normally" ? :)
    >>

    > Doesn't a RRP fall foul of the price fixing legislation?

    No, you can RRP what you like and adjust it as you see fit. RRP means
    "ask me for a discount".

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jun 3, 2012
  16. William Brown

    Murray Symon Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > On 3/06/2012 11:38 a.m., Enkidu wrote:

    >>> Doesn't a RRP fall foul of the price fixing legislation?
    >> >

    >> No, you can RRP what you like and adjust it as you see fit. RRP means
    >> "ask me for a discount".

    > I was more meaning a manufacturer/distributor mandated RRP.

    The first "R" is for "Recommended".
    Murray Symon, Jun 3, 2012
  17. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 1, 6:21 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 May 2012 21:58:27 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > >> That's the problem  in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the
    > >> prices than oversea, even the milk is 1/2 the price in the US..

    > >> New Zealand  the rip off country.

    > >Then start  your own store and undercut them. You'll be rich, Woger!

    > Think before you post again the suppliers are also ripping us off, so
    > how can you reduce the price.

    Take your own advice dumbo. My point, that you are too thick to grasp,
    was to not use local suppliers.

    > Take a look at The Warehouse Gray Imports but the US wants that banned.

    Duh!

    JohnO, Jun 4, 2012
  18. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 2, 11:41 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > >> That's the problem in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the

    > > REALLY? Let's have an example of something that costs 5 times more in
    > > NZ than the US then.

    > Cocaine?

    LOL!

    JohnO, Jun 4, 2012
  19. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 5, 8:56 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:

    > >> Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same
    > >> for each retailer.

    > > Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    > > want out of each item.

    > It is. That's why RRP is RECOMMENDED RETRetail Price and MSRP is Maximum
    > SUGGESTED Retail Price.  It's a guidline.

    Not if you make it the list price. The retailer is obliged to sell at
    that price under fair trading laws. Advertising sale prices against
    list prices that are not genuine is illegal.

    > You want no guidelines ? Fine.

    As I said, if the retailer prints the MRP or RRP as their list price
    they are *required* to be genuine.

    JohnO, Jun 4, 2012
  20. William Brown

    bugalugs Guest

    On 5/06/2012 10:06 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    > On Jun 5, 8:56 am, "geoff"<> wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:

    >>> Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
    >>> want out of each item.

    >> It is. That's why RRP is RECOMMENDED RETRetail Price and MSRP is Maximum
    >> SUGGESTED Retail Price. It's a guidline.

    > Not if you make it the list price. The retailer is obliged to sell at
    > that price under fair trading laws. Advertising sale prices against
    > list prices that are not genuine is illegal.
    >

    >> You want no guidelines ? Fine.

    > As I said, if the retailer prints the MRP or RRP as their list price
    > they are *required* to be genuine.
    >

    >> geoff

    But who is the "they" who sets the RRP or MSRP. What authority do they
    have over the control of prices and is that price the price over the
    whole country, one district or one retail chain.

    bugalugs, Jun 5, 2012