List of UK Freeview Channels

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Jun 26, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Woger

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Craig Sutton, Jun 26, 2009

  3. Woger

    Richard Guest

    trueone wrote:

    > "Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    > no point looking at them. you cant receive here, this is NEW ZEALAND
    > not uk

    And from what I have being told most are so pixelated they make tvnzs
    recent offerings on dvb-s look acceptable in comparison.
    Richard, Jun 26, 2009
  4. Woger

    me Guest

    On Jun 27, 9:49 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > trueone wrote:
    >
    > > "Woger" <> wrote in message

    > >>http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    > > no point looking at them.  you cant receive here,  this is NEW ZEALAND
    > > not uk

    > And from what I have being told most are so pixelated they make tvnzs
    > recent offerings on dvb-s look acceptable in comparison.

    Some where, the BBC, and Sky ones were better than the TVNZ ones
    me, Jun 27, 2009
  5. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:05:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >"Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    >and? your point?

    Well Freeview here is now a Dead Duck..
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  6. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:49:52 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >trueone wrote:
    >>
    >> "Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    >> no point looking at them. you cant receive here, this is NEW ZEALAND
    >> not uk

    >And from what I have being told most are so pixelated they make tvnzs
    >recent offerings on dvb-s look acceptable in comparison.

    These are DVB-T transmissions..
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  7. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:54:53 +1200, Mutley
    <> wrote:

    >"Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    >>and? your point?
    >>

    >I think his point is than compared to here they have way more choice
    >for free, Lots of those UK Freeview channel are pay channels here..

    Because of Government cut backs here Freeview is stagnated but here in Kapiti
    it keeps on breaking down, again I have been informed that its due to
    Government cutbacks and the limited money that is being spent on it, the
    Transmitters here are only 50w plus not back up power or diversification when
    the street loses it power.
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  8. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:35:59 +1200, Reg <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:12:34 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    >Of course you pay about $30 a month in the UK simply to have a tv.
    >
    >The annual cost of a colour TV licence (set by the Government) is
    >currently £142.50

    Yes that show up how bad the TV here is..

    But then again UK TV is lust not totally funded by Advertising..
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  9. On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:38:47 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:05:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    >>and? your point?
    >>

    >Well Freeview here is now a Dead Duck..

    Rubbish.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 27, 2009
  10. Woger

    Former Expat Guest

    Former Expat, Jun 27, 2009
  11. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:24:47 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:38:47 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:05:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Woger" <> wrote in message

    >>>and? your point?
    >>>

    >>Well Freeview here is now a Dead Duck..

    >Rubbish.

    As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
    not be upgraded.

    Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview

    Simple Logic..
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  12. Woger

    victor Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:35:59 +1200, Reg <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:12:34 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

    >> Of course you pay about $30 a month in the UK simply to have a tv.
    >>
    >> The annual cost of a colour TV licence (set by the Government) is
    >> currently £142.50

    > Yes that show up how bad the TV here is..
    >
    > But then again UK TV is lust not totally funded by Advertising..

    You mean its lust funded by taxes ?
    victor, Jun 27, 2009
  13. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > These are DVB-T transmissions..

    Yes, but mpeg 2 at under 3 megabits looks like shit regardless of
    transmission medium.
    Richard, Jun 27, 2009
  14. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >

    >> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
    >> not be upgraded.
    >>
    >> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
    >>

    >> Simple Logic..
    >>

    >They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
    >actually the only output which will survive.
    >
    >You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

    I am refering to adding more channels, this will not happen for some years.

    plus the Date is not cast in stone..
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  15. On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >

    >> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
    >> not be upgraded.
    >>
    >> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
    >>

    >> Simple Logic..
    >>

    >They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
    >actually the only output which will survive.
    >
    >You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

    If they are running out of money and firing staff, then they will just
    have to move forward the date they shut down the analogue
    transmitters. It is likely that few analogue transmitters are being
    manufactured now anyway, as no-one in their right mind would ever
    install new ones now that digital is so well established around the
    world. The USA analogue shutdown has already happened (12-Jun-09).

    Woger, just because you happen to be having reception problems in your
    part of Kapiti does not mean anything to the rest of us receiving
    FreeviewHD quite happily from other transmitters. From your
    description, you seem to be on a small translator that has hardware
    and power problems. That has always been the case for some people
    located in difficult transmission areas who receive from a local
    translator. It will be no different with digital transmissions. So
    maybe you and your neighbours will need to band together and put up
    the money to get reliable reception, as has been the case in the past.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 27, 2009
  16. Woger

    victor Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:
    >>

    >>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
    >>> not be upgraded.
    >>>
    >>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
    >>>

    >>> Simple Logic..
    >>>

    >> They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
    >> actually the only output which will survive.
    >>
    >> You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

    > I am refering to adding more channels, this will not happen for some years.

    It will happen

    victor, Jun 27, 2009
  17. Woger

    victor Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:
    >>

    >>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
    >>> not be upgraded.
    >>>
    >>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
    >>>

    >>> Simple Logic..
    >>>

    >> They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
    >> actually the only output which will survive.
    >>
    >> You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

    > If they are running out of money and firing staff, then they will just
    > have to move forward the date they shut down the analogue
    > transmitters. It is likely that few analogue transmitters are being
    > manufactured now anyway, as no-one in their right mind would ever
    > install new ones now that digital is so well established around the
    > world. The USA analogue shutdown has already happened (12-Jun-09).
    >
    > Woger, just because you happen to be having reception problems in your
    > part of Kapiti does not mean anything to the rest of us receiving
    > FreeviewHD quite happily from other transmitters. From your
    > description, you seem to be on a small translator that has hardware
    > and power problems. That has always been the case for some people
    > located in difficult transmission areas who receive from a local
    > translator. It will be no different with digital transmissions. So
    > maybe you and your neighbours will need to band together and put up
    > the money to get reliable reception, as has been the case in the past.

    FWIW the transmitters are run by Kordia, not TVNZ, and you are right,
    they don't want to maintain them.
    Kordia operates 400 sites for TVNZ TV3 C4 Sky's Pay Network Prime and
    Freeview. and radio.
    New channels added to Freeview aren't conditional on whatever TVNZ does,
    they can and probably will be independent channels competing for the same $$
    They only have 20 channels on the satellite transponder and they have 12
    running already, they are only planning on 18 max for both S and T.
    victor, Jun 27, 2009
  18. Woger

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:24:47 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    > <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:38:47 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 03:05:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    >>><>

    >>>Well Freeview here is now a Dead Duck..

    >>Rubbish.

    > As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview
    > will
    > not be upgraded.
    >
    > Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
    >

    > Simple Logic..

    Freeview is not run by TVNZ
    Craig Sutton, Jun 27, 2009
  19. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:49:31 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:21:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >>Woger wrote:
    >>

    >>> As TVNZ has run out of money and is firing staff I can see why Freeview will
    >>> not be upgraded.
    >>>
    >>> Lack of revenue means lack of Freeview
    >>>

    >>> Simple Logic..
    >>>

    >>They are committed to the eventual analogue switch off, so Freeview is
    >>actually the only output which will survive.
    >>
    >>You couldn't have got it more wrong, could you.

    >If they are running out of money and firing staff, then they will just
    >have to move forward the date they shut down the analogue
    >transmitters. It is likely that few analogue transmitters are being
    >manufactured now anyway, as no-one in their right mind would ever
    >install new ones now that digital is so well established around the
    >world. The USA analogue shutdown has already happened (12-Jun-09).
    >
    >Woger, just because you happen to be having reception problems in your
    >part of Kapiti does not mean anything to the rest of us receiving
    >FreeviewHD quite happily from other transmitters. From your
    >description, you seem to be on a small translator that has hardware
    >and power problems. That has always been the case for some people
    >located in difficult transmission areas who receive from a local
    >translator. It will be no different with digital transmissions. So
    >maybe you and your neighbours will need to band together and put up
    >the money to get reliable reception, as has been the case in the past.

    I have been there done all that is the Past we were referred to as Pirates as
    we were getting TV3 from Wellington and was told by the BCL that was wrong
    but they have sort of fixed it but there translator gets it feed to 2 places
    depending on co-channel problems, so lots of the time TV3 can be bad.

    There in one Freeview transmitter that feed all of the Kapiti area , but they
    are only 50w and break down often, I have rung Kordia about this..

    Not I don't sit one my hands, but Freeview is not as rosy as its painted.

    My reception is ok and the TV shows a SQ of 9-10 on all channels 10 being
    the max but with a few aerial tweaks I can get all up to 10..
    Woger, Jun 27, 2009
  20. Woger

    victor Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > victor <> wrote:
    >
    >> Woger wrote:

    >>> I am refering to adding more channels, this will not happen for some years.

    >> It will happen
    >>>
    >>> plus the Date is not cast in stone..
    >>>

    >> It will happen

    > In our lifetime?? This is NZ you know..

    They could switch off analogue now if they wanted and just rely on dvb-s
    wher there isn't terrestrial coverage.
    They won't be replacing analogue translators.
    victor, Jun 28, 2009