    It's a good movie but not that good of a movie. My favorite Disney movie is
    Beauty and The Beast. IMHO, this was the movie that drew adult into seeing
    cartoons again.

    Goldfinger, Oct 27, 2003

  2. "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    news:wXgnb.3771594$...
    > I first saw Lion King last night on DVD and I felt underwhelmed by the

    hype.
    > It's a good movie but not that good of a movie. My favorite Disney movie

    is
    > Beauty and The Beast. IMHO, this was the movie that drew adult into

    seeing
    > cartoons again.

    Ehhh.....

    I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any cartoons.

    So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    Anonymous Joe, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Goldfinger

    jayembee Guest

    "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote:

    >I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any cartoons.
    >
    >So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    >King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    Me. And starting with Disney's ROBIN HOOD when I was 19, I'd say that
    SHREK was the only animated film I've gone to see in which kids were
    included in the group I was with. For the dozens of other animated
    films I've seen in a theater in that time, I was there either by
    myself or with a date.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Goldfinger

    TSKO Guest

    Well....I am 36 yrs old.....love cartoons....love Lion King (and no...not
    the best Disney flick IMO)...

    I thought the dvd was done very well....and think the 5.1 enhanced sound was
    great...

    (and on a side note....going to head to the local Best Buy tomorrow to pick
    up the Looney Tunes collection--for me...not the kids)

    TSKO, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Goldfinger wrote:

    > I first saw Lion King last night on DVD and I felt underwhelmed by the hype.
    > It's a good movie but not that good of a movie. My favorite Disney movie is
    > Beauty and The Beast. IMHO, this was the movie that drew adult into seeing
    > cartoons again.

    Yeah, who would have thought a Disney movie would be over-hyped? Oh,
    BTW, The Lion King is ripped off from an old Japanese tv show. True
    story. Even Matthew Broderick and some of the animators have talked
    about it. Apparently Disney was knee-deep in pre-production, certain
    they'd get the rights to remake the show in feature format, when they
    were refused the rights. They went ahead anyway, they just changed a
    few details (but not nearly enough).

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Goldfinger

    John Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:24:57 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >"Anonymous Joe" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any cartoons.
    >>
    >>So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    >>King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    >Me. And starting with Disney's ROBIN HOOD when I was 19, I'd say that
    >SHREK was the only animated film I've gone to see in which kids were
    >included in the group I was with. For the dozens of other animated
    >films I've seen in a theater in that time, I was there either by
    >myself or with a date.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    I am 20 and I actually just watched the movie today with my neice when
    I was babysitting. VHS. I think it is my favorite big disney flick.
    The last time I saw it I was at the theaters with my mom. I remember
    staying in there to see it twice. When I watched it today one or two
    of the scenes actually brought a tear to me eye which is pretty hard
    to do.

    I heard that the DVD has edited scenes so I think that sucks.

    The only cartoon that I watch now is Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.
    I wish the episodes of that show come out on DVD.

    John

    John, Oct 28, 2003
  7. In article <wXgnb.3771594$>,
    "Goldfinger" <> wrote:

    > I first saw Lion King last night on DVD and I felt underwhelmed by the hype.
    > It's a good movie but not that good of a movie.

    The first five minutes is some of the best film I've ever seen. After
    that, you're right, it's just a good movie. However, the songs where a
    very BIG part of the initial craze.

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Yes

    SpeedByrd PhD

    Dr. Speedbyrd :>, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Goldfinger

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:53:39 GMT, Anonymous Joe wrote:

    >I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any cartoons.

    Wha?

    >So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    >King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    My wife and I did.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Goldfinger

    jpeabody Guest

    Reginald Dwight <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <wXgnb.3771594$>,
    > "Goldfinger" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I first saw Lion King last night on DVD and I felt underwhelmed by the hype.
    > > It's a good movie but not that good of a movie.

    > The first five minutes is some of the best film I've ever seen. After
    > that, you're right, it's just a good movie. However, the songs where a
    > very BIG part of the initial craze.

    I thought Lion King was the best of the "new era" of Disney animation
    (say, post-Black Cauldron, and not counting Pixar's work), but it
    doesn't compare with their golden era. There are thousands, if not
    millions, of adult animation fans and a Disney film will draw most of
    them. Despite what you think of the company and their hype machine,
    they put out a product that people will take a look at.

    I remember when Fantasia was re-released back around 1991. There were
    so many badly-behaved kids in the audience I almost left. Screaming,
    crying, "Mom, this is BORING!", wandering around, and kicking my seat.
    And that was a 9 PM show.

    jpeabody, Oct 28, 2003
  11. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:53:39 GMT, "Anonymous Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >Ehhh.....
    >
    >I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any cartoons.

    You can't be serious.

    >So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    >King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    I was 17 when it was released. But still, I watch plenty of cartoons,
    including some you wouldn't take your kids to see.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 28, 2003
  12. Goldfinger

    techlover22 Guest

    check out the DVD. They have so many extra features, and the menus are
    so well done, you can tell they spent a lot of work on it. Whether the
    movie is teh most incredible or not, (which I think it's one of their
    best), I think the DVd deserves respect for the effort put into it :)

    techlover22, Oct 28, 2003
  13. Goldfinger

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:53:39 GMT, "Anonymous Joe" <>
    typed:

    >So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    >King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    Umm... me? I was 19 when I first saw it and I have the DVD now.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

    Impmon, Oct 28, 2003
  14. Goldfinger

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:38:09 GMT, John <>
    typed:

    >I heard that the DVD has edited scenes so I think that sucks.

    There's been a few changes. Some extra scenes added, some new music
    number, and removing the word 'SEX' from one scene.

    Funny thing was that Disney was making a big fuss over preserving films
    not too long ago.

    Impmon, Oct 28, 2003
  15. well, the entire concept of the Lion King was stolen from Osamu Tezuka's "Kimba
    the White Lion", which was broadcast in the U.S. during the 60's.

    here's some of the "coincidences":

    -Kimba/Simba both talk to their deceased fathers in clouds

    -both feature arrogant toucans

    -both are based looseley on HAMLET

    I'm sure there's even more.

    Vlvetmorning98, Oct 28, 2003
  16. >and removing the word 'SEX' from one scene.

    wasn't if "SFX" as in "special effects"? people confused the two.

    Vlvetmorning98, Oct 28, 2003
  17. Goldfinger

    Mark B. Guest

    "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote in message
    > "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    > > I first saw Lion King last night on DVD and I felt underwhelmed by the

    > hype.
    > > It's a good movie but not that good of a movie. My favorite Disney

    movie
    > is
    > > Beauty and The Beast. IMHO, this was the movie that drew adult into

    > seeing
    > > cartoons again.

    > Ehhh.....
    >
    > I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any

    cartoons.

    > So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    > King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    My wife & I were 25 when we saw it.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 29, 2003
  18. Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 29, 2003
  19. Goldfinger

    Impmon Guest

    On 28 Oct 2003 20:22:11 GMT, (Vlvetmorning98)
    typed:

    >>and removing the word 'SEX' from one scene.

    >wasn't if "SFX" as in "special effects"? people confused the two.

    It sure looked more like SEX and that's what the people were complaining
    when the Lion King VHS first came out. It's hard to tell apart the E
    and F.

    Impmon, Oct 29, 2003
  20. Goldfinger

    CAndersen Guest

    "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote:

    >I think if the adults didn't have kids they wouldn't have seen any cartoons.

    I know that's been an attitude that's been prevalent in the past. I would
    have thought that by now things like The Simpsons, South Park, and Family
    Guy would have put it to rest.

    Disney, however, has a lot to gain by preserving their image of being for
    children. I can't think of any other name so tied to electronic
    babysitting.

    But however you look at it, Disney represents the state of the art of
    American animation (which is why they're so intent on making people think
    that Pixar is part of their company). There's a lot to admire even in an
    overrated Disney animated movie.

    >So, the question really becomes, how many child-less persons >18 saw Lion
    >King, and that is, persons >18 when it was released?

    Even though I said there's a lot to admire, I generally don't like most
    Disney movies. Fantasia is the only Disney flick I thought worthy of
    seeing in a theater. I do go out of my way to see other animated films in
    theaters, such as Spirited Away and The Animation Show. And I haven't been
    under 18 since before Disney's Robin Hood was made.

    --
    Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

    CAndersen, Oct 29, 2003