Linux's impact on the Unix server market?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    Sometimes you have to read between the lines....

    There has been considerable comment/questions on the move away from
    Unix/Risc, primarily to Linux (though without doubt some Unix will go MS)

    Pull in another thread of BGates seeing the datacentre market after
    2007(?) being a MS / Linux split.

    Now HP said they saw thier RISC market collapsing by 2006, in fact its
    collapsed this year.

    So, the question has to be, how much is Linux gutting HP's RISC
    business? could this explian HP's huge jump to Linux?

    If Linux is trully making gains and significant ones in the RISC
    replacement space 2 years ahead of what even a major player
    thought...how will this pan out in Linux's % v MS's in the coming years?

    Cannot be but good for OSS and bad for Proprietry.

    regards

    Thing

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/14/hp_hardware_compaq/

    ".......Oddly though, Fiorina pulled attention away from economic issues
    and pointed to the move toward x86-based servers as possibly the single
    biggest factor harming HP's hardware business.

    "We didn't think that (shift) would happen until 2006 or so," Fiorina
    told the FT. "It happened in 2004. That means the kind of cost structure
    we contemplated having in 2006, we need to have sooner." That line of
    excuse making would make more sense if HP hadn't inherited the largest
    x86 server business around via Compaq......"

    thing, Oct 14, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    thing <> wrote:

    >So, the question has to be, how much is Linux gutting HP's RISC
    >business? could this explian HP's huge jump to Linux?

    One by one, the proprietary Unices are falling. IBM saw the light years
    ago, which is why it now has probably the most profitable Linux
    business. Sun is just starting to see the light--not sure if it'll make
    it in time. SGI is I think trying to rebuild itself around Linux, but it
    may be too far gone to survive.

    The other factor in HP's case was that it was the major co-developer of
    Itanium with Intel from the beginning. The spectacular failure of that
    has left its hardware plans in tatters.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2004

  3. thing

    thing Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>So, the question has to be, how much is Linux gutting HP's RISC
    >>business? could this explian HP's huge jump to Linux?

    > One by one, the proprietary Unices are falling. IBM saw the light years
    > ago, which is why it now has probably the most profitable Linux
    > business. Sun is just starting to see the light--not sure if it'll make
    > it in time. SGI is I think trying to rebuild itself around Linux, but it
    > may be too far gone to survive.
    >
    > The other factor in HP's case was that it was the major co-developer of
    > Itanium with Intel from the beginning. The spectacular failure of that
    > has left its hardware plans in tatters.

    It must hate AMD.

    regards

    Steven

    thing, Oct 18, 2004
  4. thing <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > thing <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>So, the question has to be, how much is Linux gutting HP's RISC
    > >>business? could this explian HP's huge jump to Linux?

    > > One by one, the proprietary Unices are falling. IBM saw the light years
    > > ago, which is why it now has probably the most profitable Linux
    > > business. Sun is just starting to see the light--not sure if it'll make
    > > it in time. SGI is I think trying to rebuild itself around Linux, but it
    > > may be too far gone to survive.
    > >
    > > The other factor in HP's case was that it was the major co-developer of
    > > Itanium with Intel from the beginning. The spectacular failure of that
    > > has left its hardware plans in tatters.

    > It must hate AMD.

    HP?
    Maybe, but they are one of the biggest vendors selling AMD Opteron
    based servers today

    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl145/

    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl585/

    Cheers